Wolfenstein 3d for OS X

Reaction score
What would it take to port the old Mac version of Wolfenstein 3d to OS X? The code is free, I'm not interested in emulating it.

I know this could take some work, I just want to see how hard it would be.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If you have to ask, then almost certainly more work that you are capable or willing to put into it. As for anyone else doing it, there's not likely enough demand/interest to coax anyone into it.

OP
T
Reaction score
If you have to ask, then almost certainly more work that you are capable or willing to put into it. As for anyone else doing it, there's not likely enough demand/interest to coax anyone into it.

So, do you have a real answer, or are you just blowing smoke? I've done a fair amount of programming in the past, but nothing in this arena. I'm really just looking for starting point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, do you have a real answer, or are you just blowing smoke? I've done a fair amount of programming in the past, but nothing in this arena. I'm really just looking for starting point.

Do you have a real question to ask? Asking "how hard" something is to do is not something that can be answered in a purely quantifiable manner. It all depends on your skill level. If you ask me, I'd say it's 42. How's that?

OP
T
Reaction score
Hey, I'm not trying to argue here. My question is answerable, though. I didn't ask how hard it was, I asked "what would it take". I suppose I could have been more specific, though.

Here's what I'm asking, as you may have already read in my recent post. What program(s) is/are available that would allow me to compile old C code to run in OS X? I would prefer to use an open source tool, but if easier tools are available for purchase I might consider that option.

I'm guessing I could delete the 68K assembly language and then compile the source using some tool. I also think I would need to find a repeating loop somewhere in the graphics rendering sequence and add a delay variable, which could be adjusted by the user. This would help compensate for the (obvious) difference in machines from the early 90s to now. Do you have suggestions for additional steps?

There are two "real questions" in this post, they precede the question mark "?" in case there's any ambiguity. I'll appreciate anyone who helps here, thanks.

EDIT: I realized that the "recent post" mentioned above doesn't exist, I must have forgotten to click submit. The post I referenced explained my programming experience. I spent 2 years working with Basic and Pascal in the early 90s. I spent about 6 years too many playing with Apple's old scripting tool, HyperCard, in the mid to late 90s. In 2007, I had a one-year crash course in Java. The closest thing I've done to coding was writing a simple app in AppleScript about a month ago. So yes, I am a relative noob, but I can occasionally write functional code.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I remember that old game, use to be a favorite of mine. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, I'm not trying to argue here. My question is answerable, though. I didn't ask how hard it was, I asked "what would it take". I suppose I could have been more specific, though.

<snip>

Eh... I've been increasingly scatter-minded and inattentive to detail for some reason lately. Dunno why I thought you said "how hard it would be"... I figured someone who knew what they were doing would have been more specific. LOL! My question wasn't entirely intended to be smart-alecky either... I'm just very much lacking in tact.

Although... I still say the answer is 42.

OP
T
Reaction score
Although... I still say the answer is 42.

I wonder if you're referencing the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? That is the answer to life, the universe, and everything, you know. Just ask Google,

http://www.google.com/search?client...he+universe,+and+everything&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I'm planning to install XCode soon and start running through some C to familiarize myself with the IDE and the language. I also need to download the Macintosh source code, if anyone has worked in C and want to help... or at least give me a few pointers. I'm not planning on having this done next week, I'm a student and have other things on my mind. I do want to eat this elephant, though, even if it takes a year. I've seen a few dead-end attempts on other forums to do this exact project, I wish the people who posted about them would kindly explain the road blocks they presumably encountered.

Pointers, please?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
T
Reaction score
You might find this thread interesting. Not sure if it will point you in the right direction or not to get Wolf 3D running in Leopard.... :)

http://www.idevgames.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-10669.html

Regards.

Thanks for the link. I've actually looked at that post several times, it seems like they got pretty far in the development process, but maybe got stuck on the 68k machine assembly part.

So, what I'm thinking is that the low-res on the PC version makes it almost unplayable. I know it has the advantage of 3D guards and some other nifty stuff, but staring at those huge pixels makes me feel like I'm going to fall into a CGA monitor or something. The Macintosh version, albeit limited, at least has high enough resolution for a partial suspension of reality. I don't feel like I'm on a vacation to pixel world when I play the Mac version, hence my preference. Also, the sound quality is almost acceptable by today's standards, no Sound-Blaster crap here.

If it proves unmanageable to port the Mac version, I guess I can just play the PC version in DOSBox. :(

So my technical search turned up some stuff about calling C code from Java. I haven't implemented the methods yet, but if I were able to use Java to call the C code, we might get a cross-platform port of the Macintosh version, which would be sweet. If, however, the 68k assembler proves crucial, I would either need to implement a translation layer, or re-write that portion of the code in another language. For either of those steps, I would need some help.

My second thought would be write and alternate game engine, one that can read the Macintosh level files and render the graphics from there. This sounds like a lot of work, but could be the most feasible option. What I'm considering is that it wouldn't be very difficult to write a simple ray-caster, I could probably even write it in Java. This might result in a slightly different appearance from the original, depending on how well I write the ray-caster, but it would at least allow people to play the original levels without emulation. On the other hand, if I do manage to write an app that can translate the original data files, I could possibly render the maps in true 3d, though still with the original limitations of a flat floor and ceiling.

This is still in the concept stage, I'm re-familiarizing myself with Java before I dive into unknown territory. Even if I don't use any Java, practicing will help me think more like a programmer and prepare for other conquests. Anyone sympathetic to the cause, please help!

One last thought, if there's a super-simplistic 3d game engine, I could manually enter the original levels, and draw textures to imitate the original look & feel... I'm a bit of purist, but I recognize that there may be compromises like that. Can anyone recommend a simple game engine, or a way to make one?

Thanks for the input so far, I'll be thrilled if this really picks up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Whats wrong with the PC version in DosBox? I think it runs great in fullscreen

OP
T
Reaction score
Whats wrong with the PC version in DosBox? I think it runs great in fullscreen

Well, I'm downloading it now, but I remember really enjoying the "high resolution" of the Mac version. Just like Prince of Persia for Mac had twice the resolution of the PC version. I guess I just don't have the same nostalgia with the PC version.

Maybe there isn't enough demand for a native port, but I'm going to keep looking for a way to do it, at least for now.

EDIT: It is as bad as I remember. The pixels are going to eat me! I played the PC version in DOSBox for several minutes and was pretty underwhelmed. Maybe I could get used to it, but I felt like I was playing an even earlier game by iD, call Catacomb Abyss... Sort of a FPS, but not really. Both have chunky, fat pixels everywhere.

Reaction score
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I compiled a native version of Wolfenstein 3D for the Mac here. It is based on Wolf4SDL 1.7 SVN. Unfortunately the original author's website is down, but you can get the link to the SVN on my site. I've only tested it on 10.6.5/64-bit but it should work for 32-bit as well.

Let me know if it works for you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the link. I just downloaded it and will let you know how it runs.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@chrisballinger

Follow up.... It runs great!

Reminds me of the original DOS version that I used to play years ago on my trusty 286 machine. :)

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bit late getting back to you.....

I'm running it on Snow Leopard 32 bit. It's an older MacBook with an Intel GMA X3100 integrated chipset. But it works real well. I was actually surprised on how well it ran. You did good. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.