Incorrect memory reporting?

Reaction score
I've seen this in some other posts, but am unable to find it now that I want it (of course).

I'm running Windows XP Pro Boot Camp installed on a Mac Pro with 2 dual Intel Xeons, and 4 GB RAM.

Windows reports in system properties that I only have 2 GB RAM, but I doubt it isn't really using the full 4 GB. Here's why:

System also reports only one core on one processor, and not the other three, yet when I run SiSoftware's Sandra, Sandra reports all four processors.

Also, I downloaded and installed (don't laugh) all Google Desktop gadgets that report memory usage to see what they reported (I would use Sandra, but don't have Pro. Free version doesn't report memory). All of them reported either 23% or 9% (just about half the others) usage. This tells me that some of them may not be seeing all the memory (the 23%-ers), and others probably are (the 9%-ers).

I'm betting from the performance (Windows s-c-r-e-a-m-m-m-s on this system, even with:

Firefox (50 tabs open),
Google Desktop (again, don't laugh!)
Avid Express Pro
Sandra
GoodSync
Sibelius
Adobe Reader
Quick Time
Windows Media
Movie Maker
IE7

all running, all the latest updated versions, yet Windows won't even hiccup!

The only errors showing up in the system were all caused by either the network, or because I didn't have a dongle plugged in for Avid. No memory errors at all. Page files are not even in use at all. If so, only for a second or two.

Anyone else know anything about Windows not reporting memory accurately, even though it's all in use?

Not saying it's so. Just wondering if I may be right, and if so whether it can be corrected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
32bit xp only supports 3gb of ram

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
No memory errors at all.

That's because the Mac Pro uses ECC memory. ECC stands for Error Checking Code. The RAM checks for errors and corrects them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.