My G4 smells like burnt rubber!

Reaction score
So I have a G4 macbook that I bought in 2004 and its having a big issue! I stepped away for all of 10 sec and when I came back the macs fan went into overdrive and the screen went dark....and then I started to smell burnt rubber. I turned off the book and gave it a few min to cool down, now evertime I turn on the macbook the fan just kicks on into overdrive and I hear nothing else no harddrive or processor in it. So I am hoping that anyone can give any ideas to what this could possibly be. Thanks for looking!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
There's no G4 MacBook, it sounds like you have an iBook G4. Also, to me it sounds like the logic board or some other internal component fried. Odds also are, that it will cost more to fix than the computer is worth. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
G4 iBooks are prone to logic board failure, and this is the main symptom.
It's fixable. Google "iBook G4 solder fix".

OP
A
Reaction score
It's a G4 Powerbook Pro, sorry-- still think it's the logic board? Does it help to say that the hinge for the screen has been loose and had fallen flat when it happened? I know it's not just the screen that's having problems because, like I said, only the fan will turn on. I know it's an old laptop-- it's not worth anything-- but it has one excell spreadsheet on it that I haven't backed up and would really like to recover. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
If you have access to another Mac you may be able to get to it via Target disc mode IF it will power up.
It could well still be the logic board, yes.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's a G4 Powerbook Pro, sorry--

Still not 100% correct...there was no such thing as a "G4 Powerbook Pro"...it's simply a G4 Powerbook.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.