Alot of Questions about iPhone

Reaction score
The iPhone

I recently purchased an Apple 8GB iPhone this past weekend. I love it for the most part, but I do have some things I would like to say, and some questions I would like to ask about it.

When I received the iPhone I already knew 95% of what I was purchasing and what I was going to get out of it, as I had done plenty of research and being a phone nerd like myself I knew what to expect. I recently had a samsung blackjack, I loved it, but it wasn’t enough. Being a Macbook owner + needing a new ipod+ not wanting to carry around an ipod + phone=iPhone. So as for carrying around, the Iphone is nice, small, slim, light weight and big screen. I was very pleased on how easy it is to carry around, talk on, the headphones, and everything that came in the box. I turned on the phone and I loved the touch screen, the applications were nice, but after a week of interrogation I have found the following.

I will start from the top, Text messages.
When using text messages I loved the way that it was organized between every message that a specific number had sent to you and which you have replied back. I liked how it gave you a quick preview before you opened it and how easy it is to delete a message 1 at a time. Yet again there was some things I did not like. There is no way to delete “all” messages at once without clicking for each messages edit, and then delete. This can get annoying if you enjoy deleting all your messages at once instead of one at a time. Another thing I did not like was how there was no MMS messages. How am I suppose to send and receive pictures to other phones that are not email equipped? Last of all I do not like how we cannot have ring-tones for incoming text messages. (If you have any corrections on something I have said or any answers or other information that will help me please feel free to post this on any topic I discuss).

The next application, Calendar, I will not go into much because I do not use. But I will say, I like how the icon changes with each date.

Photos:

I do use photos and myself being a macbook user have a plethora of photos in my Iphoto. Now syncing my photos to my phone is easy and fast but I have iLife 08 and we received an upgrade on our iPhoto. Will apple in the future allow me to organize my photos into events like it does on iPhoto or any other updates to this?

Camera:

The camera is very nice, great quality pictures , and easy to email but there are some things I don’t like. Why is the iPhone not equipped with a camcorder? Also it would be much easier if there was a button you could press to take the picture also such as holding down the home screen button for 3 seconds.

Youtube:

Youtube works great, easy to find videos, bookmark, view. I haven't had any problems with it to this date. But I have noticed that not all videos are on youtube. Is this because they have to reformat it for iPhone or is there something else behind this?

Stocks and Weather Widgets:

Work great, I don’t use too much but I use daily for a terse amount of time. Have no problems. For weather though a Doppler radar would be amazing.

Google Maps:

Works great, good picture, easy to use, only thing I would suggest updating would be GPS.

Clock, Calculator, Notes:

Not much to say, I use it, nothing else really to do besides notes. If notes would be able to save in different formats such as .doc and different word processor documents, I believe the iPhone and viewing email attachments would be great.

Settings:

There are things in settings that are very convenient but then yet again there are others that aren't. I like how you Wifi and Usage, Brightness, and everything else, but Sounds. Sure I can choose a ring-tone after I spend 1.99 on iTunes, but I can only apply this to a call and not a text message. Also I am not able to use songs that I have already on my iPhone. I do not understand why we cannot do this, I also do not know why we cant just put select songs into your Ringtone folder. Can anyone answer this?

Phone:

Works great, no dropped calls yet (EVEN ON AT&T NETWORK LOL). Easy to navigate through, besides one thing which is contacts. When I search through my contacts I like to search by first name a majority of the time but have been getting accustom to searching by last. Is there anyway to switch the order in which is sorted from Last name to First name?

Mail:

Perfect, if we have word processor, opening attachments would be amazing.

Safari:

Works great for me, but are a few rants. Is there anyway we can get Micro-media Flash Player, or Java for the webrowser. Also when going to certain sites it notices I am on a iPhone and makes it set for iPhone and sometimes I want it to look like a normal page. How would I go about changing this?

Ipod:

Amazing, works great, all I got to say, perfect.

Now that I have gotten that out of that way I have some other questions. I use AIM alot, along with text messages and internet and I would love to have iChat on my phone. If I had iChat I would be pleased with the iPhone. Instead I have to get im forwarding and use flickim.com which can get annoying. Will Apple ever release a form of iChat which will allow messaging via data?

3rd Party Applications:

Now I know there are hundreds of 3rd party applications out there for the iPhone, so I know that there are certain applications which the iPhone is capable of. I am wondering why apple does not make there own application, does the same thing as some 3rd party applications (as we can see its possible and would be even easier for apple because they know how to code it) in order to stop people using 3rd party applications that may brick their phone.

If Yes to ^^^ Topic:

Does anyone know of any applications which Apple may release for the iPhone. Also when the new Iphone is released, will former iPhone users be able to upgrade or have to wait for 2 year contract. Also Steve said that the iPhone will be updated with the new software that the new one will have minus 3g and etc. or any other hardware they may add. Is this true and can I be confirmed as I have been lied to which lead me to leaving the blackjack in the past.

Back to 3rd Party Applications:

I do not use 3rd Party Applications because I do not fully understand the iPhone fully yet and I do not want to take the risk. I know that the new update may brick your phone if you use 3rd party applications but I have a question about them. If I was to use them , would I be able to use them without “unlocking” my phone and keep it locked with AT&T but still use 3rd Party applications or no? Also how would i downgrade back to 1.0.1 (or which ever the former 3rd party application was). If I was to use it, would it void my warranty or would I be able to just reset the phone when wanting to upgrade back?
I have also never seen any phones being “bricked” from the 3rd party applications alone, but yet only seen it due to upgrades via apple? Is this true?

Thank you for your time but please inform me with any information you may know about future updates such as AIM. When Iphone 2 is released will we get the same upgrade? I need to be enlightened on 3rd party applications. Also with the release on Leopard OS should we expect iPhone to excel due to that?

Thank You Very Much for Your Time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
Most of these questions are impossible to be answered by any of us, or anyone for that matter. All of the updates you're looking for could be in future software updates, or they might not be. We won't know untill it comes.

a few things: for deleteing your SMS messages you can slide you finger along the text and delete will appear at the end, its quite fast. There is a video with finger tips that shows this.

contacts: go into settings > phone > you will see sort order and display order, I suggest going into address book and making it the same for syncing.

mms: all phones have an email address, verizons are (###)###-####@vzpix.com someone somewhere posted all of the providers and how they work, but i dont have the list at the moment, if there is someone in particular you want to send mms texts with have them email you from their phone. it works pretty flawlessly!

unlocking your phone from at&t and using third party applications is not related. I have 3rd party applications and my phone has been fine, I havent updated yet but when i choose to- I assume that restoring your iphone via itunes and then installing the update will be just fine. (no one has really answered that question, either)

but again, as far as any updates go, when it comes to apple- NO ONE KNOWS untill its announced publicly. Ever. There are always rumors and they are generally wrong. It's as much a mystery to us and anyone else why things were left off the iphone and if things will be added etc etc etc.

i hope that helps, a little.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
Alltel - @message.alltel.com

AT&T - @mms.att.net

Sprint - @messaging.sprintpcs.com

T-Mobile - @tmomail.net

US Cellular - @mms.uscc.net

Verizon Wireless - @vzwpix.com

Virgin Mobile - @vmobl.com

Remember to put the 10 digit number before the @. I believe these are up to date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
YAY!!!!!!! thank you. I will save these!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
Are there any different plans? I think these are not very good. I now have better than the lowest plan for half the price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
Are there any different plans? I think these are not very good. I now have better than the lowest plan for half the price.

......................what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I mean is the plan I have now w/o an iPhone is better than the $60 plan that you get with an iPhone and it is half the price. can I get it on the iPhone without the sucky $60 plan?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
What I mean is the plan I have now w/o an iPhone is better than the $60 plan that you get with an iPhone and it is half the price. can I get it on the iPhone without the sucky $60 plan?

try searching, this has been discussed nnnuuummerous times.

you keep the plan you have and add the iPhone data package on top of it.
depending on what you choose - unlimited data and 200 texts is the lowest choice.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I just found something else. I tried this out with my friends T-Mobile phone, he send me a picture message, it counts as a text but gives me a website and a password to go to and I have to go through that just to see it.

But as for sending I guess we will have to send an email.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just think that you are paying more just to have an iPhone. Its not anything special because I can get a treo 755p with a $30 unlimited everything plan except anytime minutes and it blows the iPhone plans out of the water.

So if I were to have this unlimited everything plan with unlimited texts and I buy the iPhone data plan to put on top of it would i get the 200 texts that the iPhone plan says or the unlimited that the better plan says.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I had the Samsung Blackjack and it was categorized by AT&T as a PDA and by Samsung as a Smartphone (which made me mad) and so AT&T required the $39.99 PDA Unlimited Plan for any Data, also I use alot of text messages so it was another $19.99 for that.

But as for the iPhone, I had 2 blackjacks and sold those for $550, and then bought a iPhone for the price I original baught the blackjack for, and also its $20 less a month for the same thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.