Troubleshooting tip...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I had a real weird issue recently with a transaction entry widget for iBank... the durned thing wouldn't work for nothing. Deleting the pref files, reinstalling, etc... nothing worked. After unsuccessfully troubleshooting with tech support via their forums, I decided I'd have to get my hands dirty and go on a serious bug hunt.

I found the widget worked fine on my wife's account and on a backup install of OS X, so clearly it was my account. So something must be amiss in my user Library. After carefully deleting and restoring items in my user Library and re-logging in-between, I narrowed the culprit down to a hidden pref file:
~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist

I have no idea how or why this hidden pref file would block a 3rd party widget from working, yet clearly it was. This is also at least the 2nd time I've had a problem in all the time I've been using OS X that I've narrowed down a bug to that particular file. I'm betting now it may have been the culprit a couple times I decided to just whack the Library and start from scratch.

So... the reason I bring this up is that when someone is having problems with an app or their system, it may be worth having them delete this file and relog to see if it was the culprit. Being a hidden file and not an obvious place to start even if it wasn't, deleting it may save some headaches.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
that's interesting, I wonder if it will cure the firefox crashes at work that only harm my user account

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
that's interesting, I wonder if it will cure the firefox crashes at work that only harm my user account

It's worth a shot. I stared and stared at the contents of that file and am absolutely baffled that it could have caused a problem, yet so it did. *shrug*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Thanks for the tip.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.