Parallels 7 vs Parallels 9?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I used to have Windows 7 installed on my MBP via bootcamp, but I had a hardware malfunction and lost that partition.

I would like to do some light gaming on my MBP still, so I was thinking of getting Parallels this time around for the convenience of not having to re-boot every time (and when I was running windows my MBP would get extremely hot even just idling).

So my question is, I can get Parallels 7 very cheap, but is Parallels 9 significantly better than 7? Enough so to warrant paying a fair deal more for it?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I have tried both parallels 7and 9 and can't tell much difference. - however, some programs may have compatibility issues in Parallels vs Bootcamp due to handling of hardware interfaces. No biggie but a caution. I too prefer Parallels vs Bootcamp just because of rebooting issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Go with Parallels 9 if you intend to use it for games. It has better graphic rendering of the hardware and all around will run Windows games faster than version 7. Neither version can compare with running Windows natively from a Boot Camp dual boot, however.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So my question is, I can get Parallels 7 very cheap, but is Parallels 9 significantly better than 7? Enough so to warrant paying a fair deal more for it?

If you ask the Parallels folks…they would certainly say 9 was better than 7.;)

Another way of "playing" things is…wait for Parallels 10 to come out…then buy Parallels 9 at a big discount (usually about $39-$49…instead of approx. $79).:)

Or…since 9 is the newest…buy 8 at a discount.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.