Any Mac Pro Gamers?

Reaction score
Well, I may soon be one of them. After my long and tiring stint with PC's I believe the time has come to make a move over to the dark side....Apple. I'll soon be purchasing the newly updated Mac Pro with my configured goodies.

My plan is to run windows via boot camp to play all of my favorite games, including CoD ModernWF and Wc3 FT. I'll be purchasing in the next week or so, but before I do I'd like to hear the opinions of my fellow gamers. Advice, questions anything that could help me in this process would be fantastic.

Thanks so much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
One thing to be aware of is that, even though Apple provides the drivers to get Windows working under Boot Camp, you may still need to update the drivers yourself for components like audio and graphics directly from the component maker.

Also... many of your favorite games may already exist for OS X. Warcraft 3 has long been available and CoD: MWF is coming. And some older titles may work under Crossover, which is a piece of software that lets you run some Windows apps in OS X without even having Windows installed. They have a new version optimized for games coming out later this year.

My general point here is... if yer going to get a Mac, why spoil it booting into Windows if you can avoid it?

OP
M
Reaction score
Oh that would be fantastic if CoD came out for Mac. And honestly I rather not have to boot through windows, but if I have to I will. Also, I thought It was only WoW not WC3 FT?

I dont think you can run a PC game on a mac can you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of memory
Also, I thought It was only WoW not WC3 FT?

Blizzard makes Mac versions of all their games, not just WoW. They have been a leader in "cross platform" games for years in my opinion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh that would be fantastic if CoD came out for Mac. And honestly I rather not have to boot through windows, but if I have to I will. Also, I thought It was only WoW not WC3 FT?

I dont think you can run a PC game on a mac can you?

Oh sure... well if you gotta, you gotta. Dual-booting is my only option for playing Bioshock, for example. But I have a couple older games that I play in OS X using Crossover. Basically Crossover creates a simulated Windows environment without the need for Windows. For the apps/games it works for, it's a far better solution to dual-booting or even using Parallels. But compatibility is limited, though a game-optimized version is coming. Half-Life 2 is specifically supported through Crossover, for example, and reportedly works very well.
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Another WoW player here on my Mac.

OP
M
Reaction score
Very cool

Ya, I checked out CoD MWF and its not supposed to be released until May.

So are you saying that its possible to use cross over to boot a PC game w.o having to boot through windows? I may be a little confused here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very cool

Ya, I checked out CoD MWF and its not supposed to be released until May.

So are you saying that its possible to use cross over to boot a PC game w.o having to boot through windows? I may be a little confused here.

Yes... if the game is supported. Crossover is different from other solutions in that you don't have to have Windows installed. It basically tricks the Windows-based software into thinking it's running in Windows. Check out the compatibility list on the Crossover site to see what works and what doesn't.

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
I have a Macbook Pro and have no problems booting and running games on my Windows partition. I'm getting great performance playing Team Fortress 2, so your Mac Pro will only run even smoother.

Boot Camp is going to be your best bet, using something that allows you to run Windows games while you're running OSX also is going to slow your games down, probably a lot. :) For games, Boot Camp is the way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a Macbook Pro and have no problems booting and running games on my Windows partition. I'm getting great performance playing Team Fortress 2, so your Mac Pro will only run even smoother.

Boot Camp is going to be your best bet, using something that allows you to run Windows games while you're running OSX also is going to slow your games down, probably a lot. :) For games, Boot Camp is the way to go.

Crossover actually has very minimal overhead. Remember... it's not loading Windows "in a window" like Parallels does. I've seen no performance hits in anything I've run under it.

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
yep ^ when you said crossover, i was thinking vmware for some reason.

crossover should do the trick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
One thing to get if you're planning to play games on your mac (ESPECIALLY FPS), is to get a new mouse.
The mighty mouse is fine and all, but with FPS, you can't hold down right click and press the left click at the same time. This sucks if you're trying to snipe someone.

OP
M
Reaction score
I have a nice Logitech for gaming on my current PC now, so the mouse issue is all taken care of. :)

I'm wondering if I should wait to buy the Mac version of CoD MWF in may or just buy the current PC version and load through boot camp. Ive been reading some reviews and apparently there are some minor glitches through windows that may be eradicated through the Mac version. Any opinions on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I play the original Call of Duty and Halo games on my iBook. As well as WC3/StarCraft and Homeworld 2

OP
M
Reaction score
Just ordered her today...$3,507.xx...including 8800 and wireless inter + 23inch display... Oh and that includes tax.O:)

Super exited :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.