Uninstall and Reinstall Java

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently using Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_17-b04-248-10M3025). I am trying to install this version and then reinstall a previous version such as build 1.6.0_15. How can I go about doing so? My OS is 10.6.3.

Any help is much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
There is no easy way to do so, except to revert to a previous version of OS X. Java updates are installed with OS X security updates. Can you explain why you would want to revert to a previous update?

OP
I
Reaction score
I need to revert to a previous version of Java due to the incompatibility of a website with any Java releases after Update 16.I have tried Firefox, Google Chrome, and obviously Safari is not working either. These browsers are giving me the same results.

I currently attend school at a university that uses Blackboard for online instruction. I am not able to access a certain "File Manager" component of Blackboard which uses Java to attach files. I do not wish to uninstall the OS and install a previous version. I understand it isn't easy to uninstall Java and reinstall it. I'm up for the challenge if anyone has the knowledge of how to do this without uninstalling OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
To my knowledge, and from some additonal reading to be sure, there's really no safe way to do this short of reinstalling the OS. It's too deeply integrated. You can review this article to see if it may help, but it just sounds like a really really bad idea.

EDIT: DOH! Didn't see you beat me already, tech. Had this half-typed and got called away for a short bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I need to revert to a previous version of Java due to the incompatibility of a website with any Java releases after Update 16.I have tried Firefox, Google Chrome, and obviously Safari is not working either. These browsers are giving me the same results.

I currently attend school at a university that uses Blackboard for online instruction. I am not able to access a certain "File Manager" component of Blackboard which uses Java to attach files. I do not wish to uninstall the OS and install a previous version. I understand it isn't easy to uninstall Java and reinstall it. I'm up for the challenge if anyone has the knowledge of how to do this without uninstalling OSX.

If you have such limited need, then perhaps you should just partition the drive and install OS X again to the other partition, but don't apply the latest update. Then just boot into that as needed. It's generally a good idea to keep a bootable copy that is known to be "good" as a fail-safe measure... just in case.

EDIT: If you do so, I suggest excluding that partition from Spotlight, or at least the apps. Otherwise, you get duplicate hits if you use Spotlight to launch apps, and you can't simply disable Spotlight on one copy of the OS and not the other.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.