Converting mov to view on iPad

Reaction score
I want to put videos I've created as a .mov file and view put them on my iPad to show clients. I converted them to Mpeg 4 but they look horrible!
Is there a better way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Google Handbrake, download it and use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
I was going to tell you to download vlc for iPad since it plays pretty much everything without converting it but they removed it from the store. It was free. However there may be someone here who know the equivelent of the player, as there was more then one did this. Then you wouldn't have to waste hours converting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
QuickTime X can do that. I use it to convert my digital camera videos (MPEG) to M4VP so they will sync with my iPad and iPhone 4.
Open the file in QTX and do a Save As to change the file type.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I want to put videos I've created as a .mov file and view put them on my iPad to show clients. I converted them to Mpeg 4 but they look horrible!
Is there a better way?

Ummm… have you tried playing the .MOV file on the iPad? It's Apple's format and I would expect them to be supported. I just quickly tested one to confirm it and no problems playing one here at all. You have to make sure the video is in iTunes, then under your iPad's sync settings, go to Movies, then enable "Sync Movies" and either sync 'em all, or pick the ones you want. After syncing, play it via the Videos app.

C

chas_m

.mov, like .avi, is a container -- not a format.

All kinds of codecs -- some of which may or may not be compatible with iTunes and thus iDevices -- can be inside a .mov or .avi file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)
I was going to tell you to download vlc for iPad since it plays pretty much everything without converting it but they removed it from the store. It was free. However there may be someone here who know the equivelent of the player, as there was more then one did this. Then you wouldn't have to waste hours converting.

Forgive me if this goes against forum rules, it is not intentional. But, would it be possible for somebody for the OP to install a copy of VLC for iPad if he had access to the ipa file? It really is a fantastic app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
CineXPlayer will play most things but I'd go with the handbrake solution myself

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
.mov, like .avi, is a container -- not a format.

All kinds of codecs -- some of which may or may not be compatible with iTunes and thus iDevices -- can be inside a .mov or .avi file.

Hmmmph. That's interesting. I always assumed that .mov was very limited in that respect to what Apple allows. New day… new lesson….

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.