Cyber Attack 'To Hit In Next Two Weeks'

Reaction score
Another cyber attack is in the offering within the next couple of weeks.

Which is the best protection for a Mac? Are there any good free ones?

Only a couple of weeks ago there was a headline saying that it was a waste of money to invest in anti-virus software as the hackers are so skilled now that they can bypass most of them so it's all a bit confusing!

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/cyber-attack-hit-next-two-weeks-045602493.html?vp=1#TLXh3MZ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The threats in the link you've provided only affects variants of Windows and Windows server.

They also need the recipient to open an email attachment.

Your best defence is not opening attachments. If you have to, only from sources you can be certain of and never open attachments from anything pro-porting to be from a financial or government institution.

I'd suggest going to www.getsafeonline.org but the site is creaking under the strain from all the hits after this hitting the media today

OP
C
Reaction score
Many thanks, good to be Mac isn't it! And no, I never open attachments, in fact I don't open emails unless I recognise the sender!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Another cyber attack is in the offering within the next couple of weeks

Well, it's more like those, who have their systems compromised, and are part of zombie botnet, might have up to two weeks to clean their systems, before the bad guys will re-take control ...

Personally, I think the timeframe is very optimistic, but them it would be embarrassing for the governments to say "we can only hold it for a couple of days, hurry up, will ya" lol ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Agreed. Best line of defence is the user

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Or more succintly mrplow - the nut behind the wheel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Both Cryptolocker and GOzeuS have been around for some months now. They are windows based and require a user to interact by clicking on an email attachment. I did extensive work educating everyone at work. And now they forward any questionable emails to me so I can look at it .... on my mac.

It's all about the educated user.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.