how do i get to upgrade from Tiger 10.4 to the latest Lion OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I currently have a intel based mac with the OS tiger 10.4... been a while since I used the mac book and realized there's been quite a number of releases and upgrades...

how do i get to upgrade from Tiger 10.4 to the latest Lion OS? the options in the apple site seem to be confusing a lot.. as it states that I need to first upgrade to snow leopard and then upgrade to Lion. Is this the only way? Can't I get Lion OS from the shelf and install the new OS...

Finally what will be the cost damage that I will be facing...?

Would really appreciate if someone can guide me around this....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Lion OS will only be sold via the Mac App Store which is only on Snow Leopard.

To go from Tiger to Snow Leopard, you'll need to purchase:
Mac Box Set - Apple Store (U.S.)

OP
D
Reaction score
schweb - I checked with the local istore for the mac box set you mentioned, but they told that it is not possible for me to upgrade directly from tiger to snow leopard.

first i need to upgrade to leopard and then again to snow leopard.... is this correct?

seriously thingking of scrapping this mac book once for all!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
schweb - I checked with the local istore for the mac box set you mentioned, but they told that it is not possible for me to upgrade directly from tiger to snow leopard.

first i need to upgrade to leopard and then again to snow leopard.... is this correct?

seriously thingking of scrapping this mac book once for all!!!

Your store was incorrect, that is what that boxed set exists is for people who need to upgrade to Snow Leopard from an OS before Leopard.

There is a disk for $29 for those who already have Leopard to upgrade.

I would just buy the set, or order it directly from Apple. It is exactly what you need to get to SL.

Reaction score
I currently have a intel based mac with the OS tiger 10.4... been a while since I used the mac book and realized there's been quite a number of releases and upgrades...

how do i get to upgrade from Tiger 10.4 to the latest Lion OS? the options in the apple site seem to be confusing a lot.. as it states that I need to first upgrade to snow leopard and then upgrade to Lion. Is this the only way? Can't I get Lion OS from the shelf and install the new OS...

Finally what will be the cost damage that I will be facing...?

Would really appreciate if someone can guide me around this....

I just converted 10.4 to 10.6.8 using the $29 Snow Leopard program I purchased directly in person from Best Buy in the US. I did not convert to 10.5 at all and went directly to 10.6. Check an Apple store out near your home for the $29 SNOW LEOPARD program. I am not in anyway a computer expert just a plain old fart tinkerer! I think you have to first upgrade to Snow Leopard and then work from there to get up to Lion.

With Tiger 10.4 none of my Firefox updates were coming in anymore. Safari was stuck on 3 point something and I had not received any Apple upgrades in many months. So, after reading several links on using the $29 program to update to 10.6 I gave it a try.

Many if not all of the links on this upgrade said to back up my old programs. I bought a 500 GB external HD at Best Buy. Transferred a lot of programs to that HD and to some Flash Drives I had available. With this Seagate HD I transferred my entire Mac HD to that external HD. But I never had to use any of that saved info!

Reading the info available most of the advice was to use a clean install. I did not do this! I would have if the installation said to but it did not!

I read the instructions and inserted the Snow Leopard program into the computer and followed directions. I expected some sort of request to format or somehow "clean" the computer hard drive or something like that using the Utility Program that showed up at the top the screen - no request!

I continued with the install knowing that if anything screwed up I still had the original Installation Disks. Eventually after answering the prompts the program finished and I had Snow Leopard and over 90% of my old programs. There was some tweaking to do to remove items that did not work and I had to download Rosetta Stone that came with Snow Leopard.

It took quite some time to get 10.6 to 10.6.8 but everything came in okay. I was sweating if Apple would continue with future updates and they seem to be coming in okay. Got one more yesterday. Firefox updated to FF 5.0 then to 5.1 and Safari is now at 5.0.5.

I had no music or movies stored on my computer. But I did have a lot of documents and photos that transferred over okay. Firefox, Safari and my Camino came through with my bookmarks in the right places and still working.

Only downside is that my Samsung printer would not work off the new Snow Leopard install. Working on figuring that out right now. I downloaded new drivers and other stuff suggested but still no luck. Printer works with my PC okay and worked with Mac before with no problem. Other posts I read claim the same problem with Snow Leopard. Looking for a fix!

Lots more color and quite a few programs available with the new update. I guess things I never used before I had removed years ago. I don't play games. Time Machine is interesting and I am still puzzled about what Memeo is supposed to do. But all in all so far so good! I sure want to get the printer working but that is not a total bummer since I can use the PC for some things.

(I went directly from 10.4 Tiger to 10.6 Snow Leopard with no 10.5 in between. Total cost except for the HD was $29 plus tax.)

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple since 1982, now: iMac 2.5 ghz, 500 HD, sandy bridge
You also need to have Snow leopard 10.6 to get to Lion. And you should upgrade to 10.8 since apparently there are specific things in that that get the snowleopard ready to accept the Lion system.

It goes without saying that you need a core2duo(the 2 must be in the middle), or you can't upgrade to Lion. If not then you've reached the Peter Principle in computers. My Powerbook 800, has been left behind at Tiger 4.11. It was 67mhz short of the required power.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You also need to have Snow leopard 10.6 to get to Lion. And you should upgrade to 10.8 since apparently there are specific things in that that get the snowleopard ready to accept the Lion system.

I believe you mean 10.6.8

C

chas_m

Yes, it would make no sense (except, perhaps, to Doctor Who) that you would have to upgrade to 10.8 in order to be ready to downgrade to 10.7. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
"Need" is a bit strong there. Technically, not true. But, you could say that it's "the right thing to do".

Could "the right thing to do" include using a mac that does have snow leopard, log into it's "app store" with HIS apple id, purchase Lion, create a Lion DVD and upgrade his Tiger Mac to Lion from that? Asking because my daughter's macbook is running Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could "the right thing to do" include using a mac that does have snow leopard, log into it's "app store" with HIS apple id, purchase Lion, create a Lion DVD and upgrade his Tiger Mac to Lion from that? Asking because my daughter's macbook is running Leopard.

No not really.

C

chas_m

I haven't seen the Lion Terms and Conditions, but would gladly big a sizable sum of money that portnoy's suggestion (too bad it wasn't a complaint -- maybe we'll get one from him later!) is hopelessly in violation of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Ok, how about this one...
Jim's older computer is dying. He decides to buy a new one, with Lion on it. His old one is going to the great computer wasteland, never to be booted up again. Can he give his Snow Leopard retail disc to his brother, who is still using Tiger on a machine that can run it? If so, is there a prescribe process for doing so?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok since people aren't taking the hint in this thread, I'll go ahead and lock it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ok since people aren't taking the hint in this thread, I'll go ahead and lock it.

I hope you'll indulge me a bit and spell this out, since I'm not sure that anyone made this crystal clear...

Apple's policy on Snow Leopard (10.6) is basically that it's an enhancement to 10.5. As such, it was sold as an upgrade at a steep discount of only $29 (here in the US). Normal major OS X releases historically ran around $129, so as you can see, this was a substantial discount. Also, 10.6 wasn't really a "feature" release, it was more about enhancing 64-bit support and tuning the OS to make it lighter and faster.

As a concession to those that didn't bother to upgrade to 10.5, Apple released "The Mac Box Set". The Box Set is actually a pretty good value in that it comes with both the latest iLife and iWork suites. Apple has expressly stated that the Box Set is their official upgrade path to 10.6 for users of 10.4. It was a little pricey upon release (I think the original cost was about $150), but has been substantially discounted by third parties like Amazon.com.

Now, with that said, it has been alluded to several times in this thread that the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade can be used to "upgrade" 10.4. While this is technically possible, Apple made it clear that it is unauthorized. While this forum does not enforce End User License Agreements, we do like to respect Apple's wishes - moreover, to-date OS X has been free of anti-piracy technologies like Product Activation (common to Windows) and other hassles that more often degrade the user experience for paying customers more than they stop piracy. It's our widely held belief amongst the staff that if the Mac community doesn't support Apple or tries to circumvent their wishes, eventually technologies like this may become integrated into OS X.

So, back to the original advice given by Schweb - the correct way to upgrade from 10.4 to 10.6 would be to purchase the Mac Box Set.

It remains to be seen whether Apple will offer a similar upgrade path for users stuck on 10.4-10.5 and not able to use the Mac App Store. I suppose if there is enough pent-up demand, they may eventually do just that. But if you're looking to upgrade to the latest and greatest right this minute, it's probably not a bad idea to pull the trigger on the Mac Box Set, even in advance of Lion.

My reasons for recommending this, aside from the legalities of doing so, are that if you're still stuck on 10.4, you've probably got an ancient version of iLife and possibly iWork too. These ancient versions likely won't run well on 10.7 (if at all). So, if you needed an added incentive to spend the extra $75-100 on the Box Set, there you go.

And Schweb, I know you intended to put the brakes on this discussion, so my apologies for continuing it - I just wanted to provide clarification for future users of the 'search' function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.