weird battery problem.. Unibody

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Core Duo 2GHz Black Macbook
this is strange.. and i'm getting bumbed out cos just last wk I sent my 3 wk old refurb MBP for a logic board change.

I just calibrated my battery yesterday cos it looked abit fishy..

i'm getting 6871 mAh on my MBP out of 6900 mAh as per coconut battery.

When I plugged out my power adapter, i was getting 1hrs+ which is not even close the 7-8 hrs advertised.

and it's showing 90+% charge but it shows barely 2 hrs..

so is 6871 mAh inaccurate or 2+ Hrs inaccurate?

*Forgot to add that this was just after switching on my MBP after calibrating and I don't do any heavy graphics use at all.. mail, adium, abit of garageband.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Don't get upset. When the logic board was changed out, everything the SMC ever knew about your battery was lost.

When you calibrated the battery, how long was the run-time (and I'm not referring to what the gauge said, but how long it actually took to run the battery down from full)?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you know i've no idea? i went to bed and wanted it ot get down to 0 asap so that it could have it's 5 hrs of sleep before I woke up so i played 2 videos and looped it and went to bed.. hahaha

doesn't everyone do that!

I'm giving another shot at calibrating. I'm now at "charging to full" and leaving it for 2 hrs stage

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you know i've no idea? i went to bed and wanted it ot get down to 0 asap so that it could have it's 5 hrs of sleep before I woke up so i played 2 videos and looped it and went to bed.. hahaha

doesn't everyone do that!

I'm giving another shot at calibrating. I'm now at "charging to full" and leaving it for 2 hrs stage

When you calibrate the battery, you're basically showing the SMC how you use the computer and what kind of average drain you put on it - then it compares this with how the battery reacts to that load. So, if you put an unrealistic load on it, you get unrealistic estimates from the SMC.

You want to charge the machine fully and then use it as you normally would, completely off the power adapter until it goes dead. It doesn't have to be in a single sitting, you can put your machine to sleep and come back to it over time. The trick is to use it normally, not to find innovative ways to drain the battery ;)

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow!

that's a first!!

ok! i shall do that.. i just so happened to reset the SMC just now... let's see how it goes.. i'll post back!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow!

that's a first!!

ok! i shall do that.. i just so happened to reset the SMC just now... let's see how it goes.. i'll post back!

Be careful about resetting the SMC, it can be counterproductive, because you want the SMC to learn as much as it can.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah it's the first time and I won't do it anymore..

thought it'd work out since i wasn't calibrating the right way.. so hopefully it's learning the right way now!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.