Wireless internet using the Airport while in Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro with a purdy Reef cover, MacBook, iBook, iPhone, iPod.
Can anyone help me set this up? Apple won't help with the Windows settings and the outsourced customer service from Microsoft was a &*^%$* joke.

I tried doing a search on this site, but didn't come up with anything... any help or suggestions? IE continues to tell me that I am not connected to a wireless network. :Shouting:

Please note: I don't WANT to use Windows, I HAVE to for a college course. Unfortunately, the distance learning world hasn't caught on to the glorious world of Mac computers yet...

Thanks in advance for any and all help. O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
If you are running windows within VMWare or Parallels, all you need to do is connect wirelessly using the Mac. As a guest OS, Windows will just see an available network connection and use it, without asking where it comes from.

Good luck!

OP
Trey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am using Bootcamp, is that where the problem lies? Is Parallels worth the money? I can get it discounted on base...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
I've only used VMWare Fusion, but then, I use VMWare for a lot of different things. Recent postings on here have pointed to articles that show VMWare performing up to 4x faster than Parallels in various applications, so, for the money, I'd do Fusion.

And, absolutely, yes, it's worth the money - you can suspend your Fusion session at any point, essentially 'sleeping' it, and bring it back at any time, without having to reboot your laptop. Driver issues go away, as the VM 'bios' interprets your architecture into something readable by XP. And you can drag-n-drop files from one OS to another. So you basically get to use both systems at once. It's made my transition to an OS-X world almost painless ;-)

OP
Trey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, thanks for the advice, I'm definitely going to look into it. Sounds pretty seamless too for making my Mac files PC compatible to mail to my professors. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

OP
Trey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just wanted to thank you for the advice. I bought VMWare Fusion and it works like a charm! So easy and seamless, it will make my life (at least my school life) so much easier, so thanks again!!!

Reaction score
connectivity

If you are running windows within VMWare or Parallels, all you need to do is connect wirelessly using the Mac. As a guest OS, Windows will just see an available network connection and use it, without asking where it comes from.

Good luck!

I'm running vista on a boot camp partition through parallels. Vista is unable to find my network through parallels, but it works fine if I boot into it directly...Parallels issue perhaps? The error I am receiving is something about not being able to communicate to the DNS? When running parallels OSX sees and functions on my wireless network just fine.

Also, this setup functioned fine previously with no connectivity issues. I'm really not sure what happened.

Macbook running Leopard
Bootcamp with 16gb vista partition

Please, any advice?

Chad

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.