Imac spits out DVD

Reaction score
I can read the snow leopard DVD but Im trying to install photoshop and my 24" iMac ejects the DVD. Im assuming Photoshop is on a DVD and not a CD. There is no marking on the disk telling which it is and snow leopard says DVD so im trying to read the same format and one works and the other doesn't. Photoshop lightroom 3 says windows/mac os on the disk.

Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It doesn't make any difference if the media is a CD or DVD, if it's not being read and instead is ejected, then something is either wrong with the disk or your superdrive. Look the disk over for any scratches or marks. You might also try cleaning the superdrive. To clean the drive, buy a can of compressed air and blow a couple of bursts into the drive. Then try reading the disk again.

Reaction score
Yep, I agree - good chance it might be dust.

If the rollers can't suck the disc in fully, closing a microswitch, the drive times out and reverses the motor, ejecting the disc. Cleaning the dust away from the switch and rollers on the left of the drive slot (looking at it as if the computer's laid screen-down) can solve this. If not, it's new drive time unfortunately.

OP
S
Reaction score
Do you think dust is the problem? I can read snow leopard then switch out to lightroom and it doesn't work. Lightroom is new and has no damage to the disk.

Can anyone send me in the right direction for picking up a new drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you think dust is the problem? I can read snow leopard then switch out to lightroom and it doesn't work. Lightroom is new and has no damage to the disk.

Can anyone send me in the right direction for picking up a new drive.

I would definitely try cleaning the drive first before spending money on a new one. Swapping out an optical drive in an iMac is a fairly involved task.

A new optical drive for your iMac can be purchased from the folks at Powerbook Medic. Here's the LINK. The drive is $89.95

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.