Best program to convert DVD's to AppleTV

Reaction score
Now that I have AppleTV I plan to convert my most frequently watched DVD's to AppleTV. What is the best program to do this? I have heard some are good at converting to Video iPod but I'm not sure what kind of quality I will get on a big screen with AppleTV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Should I look into Handbrake or MediaFork? It says how MediaFork is the newer product but still in beta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advice. Should I look into Handbrake or MediaFork? It says how MediaFork is the newer product but still in beta.

MediaFork is Handbrake. The name change was temporary only.

Check the HandBrake Forums, there is a lot of good info on ATV there.

Reaction score
MediaFork by far

is the best one that I've used. so far have transfered about 200 dvd movies to ATV format and have used Handbreak(old version) & MediaFork (new version), MacTheRipper, MediaHub and iSquint. Some problems with the old handbrake version (couldn't get through the 0 errors) and had to use a work around with MacTheRipper to create one VOB file, then encode that with iSquint, then later paid for MediaHub. Have gone exclusively with MediaFork for the last two weeks and haven't had a major problem yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There should be a new Beta of HandBrake out in the next several weeks. It will 0.8.5 Beta 1. One of the new features will be that it will have a default setting for AppleTV ripping.

If you have the skill, you can download the svn from the HB site and compile the latest and greatest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Seems to be an unuasual amount of LOW post persons on this thread?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Seems to be an unuasual amount of LOW post persons on this thread?

Correct!

Those were spammers with multiple accounts hawking their software.

Banned & threads deleted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
read somewhere that apple tv cant play a h264 file.

so youll have to encode in mp4 format, which is faster, but files will be bigger for same quality

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro / 15-inch:2.2GHz / 2GB memory
I'm using handbrake and it works very well.You don't have to search any other program,they will make the same thing with handbrake..

Reaction score
I Googled a program that can convert DVD's to Apple TV. It's very powerful, practical and convenient to use. It helps you convert DVD to Apple TV video MP4 and Apple TV audio MP3, M4A with fast speed and perfect quality.

There's a Mac Version available as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
What about converting video files to apple tv format. For instance putting them into iTunes. I have been looking but have not been able to find anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16gHz 1GB ram white, 60GB iPod Photo
What about converting video files to apple tv format. For instance putting them into iTunes. I have been looking but have not been able to find anything.

Try this program MP4 Converter for Mac. I've used this on .avi files and it has converted them very well into .mp4's that I can import easily into iTunes.

Reaction score
Haven't found a good Converter yet.

Well I am fairly new to this but I have tried Handbrake to convert my DVD's to Apple TV and it had the best picture quality and it was able to support the highest resolution for 16:9 aspect ratio. However I would get half way through a movi and I would have audio drop out. The is frustrating to me when it takes me almost 2 hours to convert a DVD and then it doesn't work.

Then I tried the Xilsoft DVD to Mpeg 4 Convertor. This programed seemed buggy. It was annoying to me because the trial version work OK but you were only able to convert just a few minutes of a movie. So I bought the full version and have had issues with it.

I have noticed that if you google dvd to apple tv converter for Mac. You have 5 or 6 different websites selling the same product. It is almost all you can find.

If you go the the Apple store all they say is that it is Ilegal and they can't tell you anything. I understand that if I convert them and distribute them it is illegal but all I want to do is take my current DVD collection and make it all digital like I have done with my CD collection.

Does anyone out there have another program they can suggest or have any recommendations with Handbrake to stop the audio fall out issue?

Reaction score
Although I like Handbrake's simplicity, it's really bad in de-interlacing interlace contents. I wish there's something like AutoGK for Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
If you go the the Apple store all they say is that it is Ilegal and they can't tell you anything. I understand that if I convert them and distribute them it is illegal but all I want to do is take my current DVD collection and make it all digital like I have done with my CD collection.

If you live in the U.S., that is also illegal. Circumventing copyright technology is illegal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16gHz 1GB ram white, 60GB iPod Photo
If you live in the U.S., that is also illegal. Circumventing copyright technology is illegal.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone been fined for doing just that? IMHO I think that law is ridiculous.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Just out of curiosity, has anyone been fined for doing just that? IMHO I think that law is ridiculous.

I've never looked into it. Most people think that law is ridiculous because it's outdated. When you buy a DVD, you're not buying the rights to the movie, but the physical DVD which happens to contain the title. Capitalism has its flaws.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.