Jailbreaking AppleTV?

Reaction score
I heard many things about jailbreaking the AppleTV. I just wanted to know, what new features would bring a jailbreak to an AppleTV? I'm not so informed on these things, so thanks for making this clear =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Basically the real thing ATV hacked will do is let you play ANY codec that is out there. Currently you can only plat the MPEG-4 Video File codec that runs thru iTunes ......

There might be other benefits but that is all i know of, and really the only one i really care about :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
The ability to run apps on the apple tv would also be a plus. I would especially love it if they could port over xbmc and/or boxee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
There are MANY things you can do with the new jailbreaks on the ATV...don't know if we can talk about them though.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There are MANY things you can do with the new jailbreaks on the ATV...don't know if we can talk about them though.

Talk away. We don't have any restrictions on JB discussion anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Oh, cool! I didn't know. I have jailbroken mine a week ago, and have xbmc/boxee running on it. I can stream movies online, download torrents, watch hulu and others, and stream off my computer...and most importantly, it can now play any kind of media file as long as it's not 1080p, without having to convert anything! What I am describing is just one percent of the an icebergs tip! Best 70 bucks I have ever spent imo!

The hardest part was working around the beta for boxee...since the site isn't around anymore, and no new sites have updated their info yet.

though, my jailbreak is for the old atv, not the new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
though, my jailbreak is for the old atv, not the new one.

That actually makes a HUGE difference since the two boxes use completely different systems...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
That actually makes a HUGE difference since the two boxes use completely different systems...

I know. that's why I wrote it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I jailbroke my old ATV... but it was a pain. It was like having a 1 year old computer... er, probably because the specs are pretty much in line with a 10 year old computer. Anyway, the new ATV when jailbroken, should be able to run most apps from the App store, and many other things, meaning Hulu Plus should work on it and so should CineXPlayer and VLC. For me, that's the glaring omission right now... app store.

The problem is that content providers have conveniently tied up all content into different agreements, depending on what the streaming device is. E.g. streaming to a phone has one agreement, a computer another, a TV enabled device another still.

All of this is ludicrous of course, because you can plug a computer into almost any screen... and you also can with a Jailbroken iOS device.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.