Enable automatic login with filevault 2?

Reaction score
With filevault enabled, the maximum amount of time you can let the computer stay "unlocked" after going to sleep is one hour. You can also not enable automatic login.

However, I only want filevault security when my computer is off, and if my laptop gets stolen and the thief can't log in, none of my tracking software will work. Is there any way to force automatic login enable or increase the number of hours before it locks? Maybe a plist or something?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thieves who steal computers - Macs, PCs, iPhones, etc. know how to get past a log in password and screen saver.

Make sure you assign a firmware password on the machine. Otherwise the knowledgeable thief can swap out your hard drive - and there goes your tracking software and your machine.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thieves who steal computers - Macs, PCs, iPhones, etc. know how to get past a log in password and screen saver.

Make sure you assign a firmware password on the machine. Otherwise the knowledgeable thief can swap out your hard drive - and there goes your tracking software and your machine.

If my macbook gets stolen by someone who can break 128 bit XTS-AES or pull off a DMA attack on the login window, I have bigger problems.

The Filevault is so that if I leave this hard drive around or shut off my computer, I don't have to worry about the hard drive being taken.

However, I would like my various tracking softwares to remain operational, and if there was a wake-from-sleep password, this would A)encourage the thief to shut off the computer (rendering it inoperable to him) or remove the hard drive and B)prevent my tracking softwares from working for long enough to recognize the device has been stolen and respond appropriately.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The point is if someone does steal your machine and is knowledgeable, the first thing he or she will do is swap out the hard drive. A firmware password prevents that.

Most tracking software publishers advise setting a firmware password up before installing their software.

OP
W
Reaction score
The point is if someone does steal your machine and is knowledgeable, the first thing he or she will do is swap out the hard drive. A firmware password prevents that.

Most tracking software publishers advise setting a firmware password up before installing their software.

Their software won't ever have a chance to work if there are login and firmware passwords... Let's look at it like this:

Lock screen & dumb thief: Don't get computer back.
Lock screen & smart thief: Don't get computer back.
No lock screen & dumb thief: Probably get computer back.
No lock screen & smart thief: Maybe get computer back (even if they just turn it on for 5 minutes).

If the first thing they do is take my hard drive out, then my data is safe. But do you think I'll ever recover my computer if it has a firmware password? A smart thief will not take it in to the apple store, they will probably smash it up and I will never see it again. At least if it can be resold, apple might get ahold of it.

I'm analyzing this from the perspective of what is the most likely to save me money, and security is just an added bonus. I don't want to inconvenience a petty thief: I want to get my laptop back.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Read through this Blog by Oribicule. They sell recovery software for Apple products. Interesting reading. LINK

OP
W
Reaction score
Read through this Blog by Oribicule. They sell recovery software for Apple products. Interesting reading. LINK

Interesting. I didn't know the firmware password only applied to non-default startup options. However, did you read this part?

With OS X Lion comes FileVault 2, an update of Apple's data encryption program. In FileVault 2 a Mac cannot boot unless an admin password is entered meaning that not even Mac OS X can load without a password. Therefore, apps such as Undercover and apps that copied Undercover (including Apple's own FindMyMac software) cannot run. Basically in OS X Lion, you must choose between using FileVault 2 or having the chance to recover your Mac using Undercover. We are sorry to have to write this, but this is how Apple designed FileVault 2. If you want to continue using Undercover and data encryption is important to you, there are many other file encryption apps available.

There's the problem. If the thief closes the computer, they won't be able to use it (and the tracking software won't have time to run).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I saw that. That's why I referred the blog to you. :)

OP
W
Reaction score
OK, awesome, thanks.

By the way, the method I originally posted does not appear to stick. I am going to do something different.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let us know what you decided on and if it works. Other folks may be interested in doing the same. Lion has changed the playing field in many ways and it'll be great to have someone post their experience.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.