Macbook is running slow, but hardly have anythin on there!

Reaction score
I have a macbook, it is about 4 years old, but it was so fast up untill an I.t guy put snow leopard version on there (so he could put an anti virus on there, because it wouldn't go on with the old operating system)

All I have on there is itunes and I always delete albums, so I don't have alot of albums on there. No photo's, no docs coz I put them all on an external hardrive.

It used to start up so quick and everything and now takes a a few mins, then a few more to get onto the internet.

My battery is on it's way out, and I have to have the charger in at all times, I am getting a new one this weekend (would it be something to do with that?)

So just wondering if there is anything I could do to make it faster?

Thanks for any help ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Uninstall the antivirus software he put on there and see what happens.

Make sure you use it's uninstaller, do not just drag it to the trash.

If you must have an A/V on there due to school rules or something, grab ClamXav.

OP
L
Reaction score
Uninstall the antivirus software he put on there and see what happens.

Make sure you use it's uninstaller, do not just drag it to the trash.

If you must have an A/V on there due to school rules or something, grab ClamXav.

Ok thankyou, i'll give that a go. Where do I find the uninstaller?

I work at an I.T company and it was my boss who did it, so I thought it'd be ok.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ok thankyou, i'll give that a go. Where do I find the uninstaller?

I work at an I.T company and it was my boss who did it, so I thought it'd be ok.

The uninstaller will typically be bundled with the installer on the original distribution of the software (i.e. the DMG file or disc that it came on).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
?? Well, I have no clue what software he put on there. I'm "assuming" you do?

Look for a folder for it in Applications or check in System Preferences in the Other section.

If not there, then as cwa suggests, you may need to download it again and open the dmg to get the uninstaller.

OP
L
Reaction score
LOL oh sorry about not telling you which one I have on there. It's called NOD32 made by Eset?

Thanks for your help.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
L
Reaction score
Just to let you's know, I uninstalled the anti virus and my laptop is back to normal :-D Really fast again! Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.