Dell v. MBP heat tolerance

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought a new MBP and read that the Max storage temp is 113F. My 2008 Dell Inspiron 1420 was rated up to 140F. We all know heat can be bad for any and all electronics, but I'm curious as to why a $600 Dell can handle more heat than a $3k Mac (at least on paper).

I have three theories:

1. Dell is wrong/careless.
2. Macs really are more sensitive.
3. Apple quotes a lower Max storage temp to be safe and help lower warranty claims.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Ooops. Nevermind...

OP
H
Reaction score
The storage temps are from the user guides of the devices, which both list those temps in F. I know the chips inside may be capable of handling those temps in C, but I'm just curious about the qouted storage temps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I don't think the recommended storage temperature may be necessarily for the electronics inside the notebook. Probably more for the adhesive used like the ones holding the glass cover on the screen. Higher temperature may loosen it. Just my speculation.

OP
H
Reaction score
That's a great suggestion. I looked into the specs for my Samsung SyncMaster LCD (matte) and it can handle 140F. I looked into hard drive in the MBP (Toshiba 750GB) and it's rated up to 140F. The Apple Cinema display (which doesn't have a battery, hence ruling that out) is also rated at 113F like the MBP, so I'm starting to think it may be because of the glass covering Apple's glossy screens rather than any concern over the lcd, hdd, battery, or any other part of the laptop. I'm assuming Apple ships out the same user guide for all MBPs regardless of screen type, so this would answer it completely. Any one else have any thoughts?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
So send back your MBP if you are concerned about the recommended storage temperature.
I see nothing in my or anyone else's published experience that shows any positive or negative fallout from the spec disparity, but if it bothers you, you have a 14 day return window.

OP
H
Reaction score
Touchy. No one said it was a problem. Didn't think objective thinking was against the rules of this forum.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's fine. Not sure why Dell shows a higher number but macs are used in very demanding Situations also.

I think Apple is being more conservative in it's specs for heat than Dell is.

You have nothing to worry about, just enjoy your new Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
Keep in mind that those are Storage temps, NOT operating temps. That guideline would be along the lines of leaving the laptop in a vehicle in the middle of summer rather than day to day operation of the unit. While the notion of Apple setting the recommendation lower is probably to err on the side of caution, it also probably has to do with the fact that aluminum can get very hot when exposed to sunlight. If the air temp is 140F, then the temp of the aluminum body could be 160 if not more when exposed to direct sunlight. The plastics used in most laptops wouldn't have as big of an issue as they are not as effective a heat conductor.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Touchy. No one said it was a problem. Didn't think objective thinking was against the rules of this forum.

I'm not being touchy, but I do not see this as "objective thinking", more of a rather pointless excursion on a non-issue.
The MBP does not say that the device can not take temps above 113 deg F (45 deg C) only that "performance may be affected".
This could mean reduced battery life, longer run times on fans etc. Also, having done a lot of spec writing over the years I understand the sometimes tenuous basis for numbers in spec charts. What really matters in the long run is how is the real world performance and reliability.

Again, what is most important in your question is what do you think about it? If it bothers you, take your MBP back and buy a Dell. No one will hold it against you (or at least very few). Otherwise IMO, get on with life and enjoy your MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Is storage temp really relevant to anything when they are that high? I don't even know of a place that gets that hot in the US. There are many reasons as to why the specs are different. Apple can set it lower to reduce problems down the road, because relistically, you'd have to be a real idiot to store a computer(or any other electronic device for that matter) anywhere where temperatures will stay at a constant 114-140F. I don't know if you've ever taken an insiron apart, but it's got many large open spaces inside, couple that with the fact that it has a hard plastic, and you can see why it is capable of being stored in higher temps when compared to a Macbook/Pro that is absolutely packed inside, with no open space for random heat to dissipate. I also am going to assume your battery isn't a LiPo pack. Do you know what happens to those when you subject them heat? BOOM! The comparison itself isn't that comparable to be honest. The closest comparison would be an HP Envy...which is notorious for overheating without even exceeding it's max temp rating.

Just saying.
Just because one manufacturer sets their specs at one level, doesn't mean everyone has to follow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
it's been 113ºf at my house (outside temp). It'll routinely hit 140ºf in my car. I'm in the US ;)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
it's been 113ºf at my house (outside temp). It'll routinely hit 140ºf in my car. I'm in the US ;)

Just barely ;P

Seriously though - a car in direct sunlight can easily exceed 113ºF. I'd be curious to know what the constraining components are. The display is an excellent guess - not just the adhesive but perhaps the LCD materials. It appears from a casual google glance that most LCDs are rated up to 140ºF - but then most LCD's aren't the Apple displays. Who knows. I'm suddenly curious myself as to the difference in storage limits. Can't research right this second though.

Reaction score
but then most LCD's aren't the Apple displays.
There's nothing holy about the Apple displays. They're OEM'd by LG or Samsung; for example, the polycarbonate Macbook LCDs are made by LG and the exact same model of LCD is used in many, many other laptops.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
There's nothing holy about the Apple displays. They're OEM'd by LG or Samsung; for example, the polycarbonate Macbook LCDs are made by LG and the exact same model of LCD is used in many, many other laptops.

Ok :Confused: - Thank you for straightening me out on that. Clearly I've been praying in front of them every night needlessly. While I am aware of the OEMs involved I couldn't find a data sheet on the LTN154BT with a quick google search. (The only one I tried looking for)

Since you took the time to weigh in and straighten me out - how about answering the question which was being posed - and to which I was simply hazarding a guess - what is the weak link of the thermal chain for the storage rating?

OP
H
Reaction score
for example, the polycarbonate Macbook LCDs are made by LG and the exact same model of LCD is used in many, many other laptops.

Great observation. I read that Apple used Samsung LCDs for the iPad, but I didn't know if it was the same for the MBPs.

Non-issue or not, I don't believe in useless knowledge, so I appreciate everyone's input.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.