Can I just buy a mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Does the Apple store carry their own products?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
are you serious? of course they do. they have almost everything thats on their website.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I can understand the confusion. Some may think it's like those Dell display things in Malls that show their products, but you still have to order it. I think the old Gateway stores were that way as well.

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope so. I'm going to make a few hour drive to Seattle to go buy a Mac Mini in a little bit, and I don't want to come home disappointed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
You wont be disappointed. Even just being in the store is fun. And there is all sorts of stuff to buy.

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sweet. 1.83GHZ Mac Mini here I come. :)

I'll be posting later from my Mini if all goes well. If not, I suppose I'll still be locked in Windows... :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I can understand the confusion. Some may think it's like those Dell display things in Malls that show their products, but you still have to order it. I think the old Gateway stores were that way as well.

Ya, that was the first thing I thought. Gateway stores use to be that way too. All sorts of products, but you had to order one, you couldn't walk out the door with one.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Before I would drive all that way, I would call the Apple Store and be sure they have a Mini in stock. Stores run out of items all the time. I did that with my origional G4 Mini. Found a store with 5 and got in the car and drove there. Good luck!!

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could get a decently priced MacBook Pro from this guy... *rolleyes*

lol... I was just reading part of that thread.

I'll probably be posting later on about some things that I am having trouble with, but I'm going in with an open mind. I haven't used a mac since the G3 was the hot ticket, and that was only for graphics & page layouts (school newspaper), and I loved it. So fast, so smooth, so much less garbage that has to run (Norton Systemworks, Antivirus, Personal Firewall, Sun Java, nVmixer for sound, nView to support multiple displays without mirroring, Logitech softwear to use the buttons on my mouse & keyboard, etc.)

I'm going to buy a mini unless I can get a refurbished MacBook for around the same price without having to have it shipped. Either way, it'll be used with the Mac bluetooth keyboard & mighty mouse, plugged into my Philips/Magnavox 15" LCD (secondary monitor for my PC). When I get a bigger house (a few months) I'll be able to upgrade displays, but for now this will have to do, seeing as my PC is the primary use machine for my wife and I at the moment, and she loves having all the screen real-estate she can get. Hopefully she'll get used to the Mac and will let me get a nice big Cinema display... ;)

M

MacHeadCase

Well good luck! I hope they have the model you want.

I am curious: what made you choose a Mac Mini, if I may be so bold?

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Before I would drive all that way, I could call the Apple Store and be sure they have a Mini in stock. Stores run out of items all the time. I did that with my origional G4 Mini. Found a store with 5 and got in the car and drove there. Good luck!!

Thanks for the tip, the one in University Village has several in stock, and can even upgrade my RAM for me if I choose. This should be a fun adventure. I wish my wife would hurry up and get out of the shower so we could get going!

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well good luck! I hope they have the model you want.

I am curious: what made you choose a Mac Mini, if I may be so bold?

I've been looking at getting a Mac for a while, and I wanted a desktop machine, but wanted to be able to use the display for other things, and be able to seamlessly integrate into a home theater system. Beyond that I don't really have the space for an additional computer/monitor setup right now. I also spend a lot of time out to sea (I'm in the Navy), so by choosing the Mac Mini I'm able to plug in while I'm out to sea using my gaming monitor (15"LCD) and it will fit in my locker without a problem. I also wanted to keep the costs low, seeing that this is my first venture into the world of Mac, and my wife and I decided that a $1000 price cap would be reasonable for doing what I do. I also have a friend from church who has a 1.66GHZ mini and loves it, and he's been converted. So, all of these things combined landed me on a 1.83GHZ mini.

M

MacHeadCase

All good reasons. As long as you don't have heavy video card needs, it should be a fine machine. Congrats on your Mac purchase! :girl:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
nukemm, you're going to love your new mac mini!! Congrats!! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.