cannot connect my mac to my desktop to act as a server for my printer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 GHz 2GB Ram 120GB Hard Drive
printer issue

I have a network of one pc desktop (connected to the router). A pc laptop that is connected to the network and the HP printer. However, my mac pro does not recognize the printer. It is on the network, but I am unable to add the printer. I don't understand the protocol in adding on a printer on the mac. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What is the printer model and have you installed the driver for it?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The printer

The printer is a HP inkjet 5740. No...I didn't install any drivers on my Mac. I thought it would just discover it like my pc laptop did.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you...I'll give it a try when I get home.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope...didn't work

I downloaded the drivers, but I am missing something in the process. I don't know what it is. I click...add printer. Nothing! Nothing shows. I have a wireless connection with my pc router. But, no printer. My wife's pc laptop connects just fine. I've tried everything process. Even manually trying to add a printer. Nothing works. My printer is a HP 5700 series USP. I don't know what to do. I am using Windows 7 on my desktop. RC version. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. My desktop computer and my wife's wireless laptop work just fine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I take it the printer is connected to your network, right? If so, are you using a print server (i.e. attached to a router or a network print server device), or does the printer have built-in networking?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Connected to computer

The printer is a USB connection to my computer.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wrong one

No....The mac is a Macbook Pro laptop. My HP pc is a desktop computer that is connected to the internet. The printer is NOT connected to the router. It is connected to the HP desktop computer via a USB port.

My wife's pc laptop connected with no problems. I hit the plus sign and my laptop doesn't see anything.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, basically your Windows machine is acting as a print server. To your Mac, it's like connecting to a network printer.

There's a number of different ways to make the connection, the first thing I'd try is this:

1. Open System Preferences => Print & Fax
2. Click the + button to add a printer
3. Click the Windows button at the top of the window and it should search for shared printers
4. Assuming your Windows machine isn't blocking file & print sharing, the printer should appear and you should be able to connect to it.

Let me know if this doesn't work.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nothing. Totally blank.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you running a security suite or any kind of firewall software on the host Windows machine?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm running Windows 7 RC.....but print sharing is clicked and nothing appears to be blocking the connection.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, you might need to change the workgroup on the Mac. Do this by going into System Preferences => Network => Select your connection on the left => Go to Advanced => Click WINS tab => under WORKGROUP, enter the same workgroup as the Windows 7 machine is using.

Check to see if it shows up now (you may have to wait a few minutes).

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well....I typed in "workgroup"...as I seem to think that is what the pc is.....Nothing. How do I confirm what the pc name is....I realize I have a OS that isn't tested that well, and not used by many.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well....I typed in "workgroup"...as I seem to think that is what the pc is.....Nothing. How do I confirm what the pc name is....I realize I have a OS that isn't tested that well, and not used by many.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with Windows 7 to give you much direction from here. I am pretty confident that your Mac is just not seeing the printer being advertised as available from that machine.

To be quite honest, your life would probably be easier with a dedicated print server. This way, you wouldn't need to leave your desktop turned on. The printer would just be connected directly to your network and always available. You also wouldn't have to bother with sharing and security issues.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought about making it dedicated, but does that mean I have to trash my current printer. It's a usb printer. So, is that a connection issue, or do I need a new printer?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought about making it dedicated, but does that mean I have to trash my current printer. It's a usb printer. So, is that a connection issue, or do I need a new printer?

Niope, you just need something like this:

PS121 - NETGEAR.com

I'm not familiar with this model in particular, but there are many like it (Google "USB Print Server", you'll find a ton) and that's what you need.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for your time. There is one thing however. I don't understand why I don't get any listings when I click the plus sign on printer utility. I remember, in the past, I used to get a listing of printers when I was connected to this printer via WiFi. At the time, I used my wife's HP specs...not the same printer....but close enough...that it actually worked. I don't know if a WiFi printer or a wireless printer will make a difference?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.