Coldplay's Viva La Vida CD refuses to play

Reaction score
I bought my MacBook Pro around this time last year, and haven't had any issues until now. I tried running Coldplay's new CD, Viva La Vida, on my MacBook Pro last night, and after about 25 seconds, it spit the CD back out. So today, I took my Mac to the Apple Store and they didn't find anything out of the ordinary. All other media types, including audio CDs, run as they should. The CD itself plays fine in my car and home audio system...I'm stumped.

Has anyone else run across this problem?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Some CDs have copy protection that prevents them from being played on computers, unfortunately. This is likely the case since that album is so new. Look on the CD jewel case, in many cases the fine print will advise that the disc is not playable on computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Melbourne, Australia
aww dam, its such a good album too!

Reaction score
It's not so bad that Coldplay's CD spits out after 25 seconds. Compare that to those Sony CDs that installed a rootkit virus, or the infamous Celine Dione CD that physically broke the CD drives on Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.5GHz, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD, 512Mb VRAM
Does it spit out Snow Patrol and Keane too? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Hey, don't fight it. Your mac has good taste and is trying to teach you something ! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
As it happens we bought the Coldplay CD today, and I've just tried it in my iBook G3 (running Tiger) - the first track at least plays perfectly through iTunes.
Must be protected just for the US market ?

Cheers :)

Hugh

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
As it happens we bought the Coldplay CD today, and I've just tried it in my iBook G3 (running Tiger) - the first track at least plays perfectly through iTunes.
Must be protected just for the US market ?

Cheers :)

Hugh

Hard to say, my speculation that it's an issue with copy-protection was just a guess. I don't actually have the Coldplay CD to test with as I buy all of my music through iTunes/AmazonMP3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I saw this commercial that stated that album was being sold exclusively on iTunes. I thought that meant it can only be bought over iTunes and no CD sales. That would actually be a sad day for music since mp3's are nowhere near CD quality sound.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I saw this commercial that stated that album was being sold exclusively on iTunes. I thought that meant it can only be bought over iTunes and no CD sales. That would actually be a sad day for music since mp3's are nowhere near CD quality sound.

Not a fan of Coldplay, but I did hear their last album and wouldn't be surprised if what you said was true, considering how poorly their last album sounded. Compression city and not worth pressing on a CD. Sadly, Coldplay aren't the only ones guilty of letting the record execs say how loud and compressed the masters come out.

Reaction score
Not true. You can download the entire Viva La Vida album at Amazon.com (without DRM) for US$8.99 or download the individual tracks for US$0.89 each. The songs are encoded at 256kb/sec, which is essentially CD quality.

You can also get the CD if you want: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RPTQ1C/?tag=macforums0e4-20

The only thing extra you get with the CD is artwork and a plastic case.

EDIT: For a while, Amazon.com MP3 downloads were limited to customers in the US. Apparently the Amazon site checked IP addresses. But that's going to change: http://top40-charts.com/news.php?nid=38037

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2Ghz Core2Duo, 2Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD
I managed to rip the UK version it iTunes no problem, bit weird if the US version is locked and not the UK version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.