• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

OS 10.7 Lion feature/rumour roundup

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Expanded GPU support in Apple's Mac OS X 10.6.7 hints at future Mac hardware
AppleInsider | Expanded GPU support in Apple's Mac OS X 10.6.7 hints at future Mac hardware
Apple's newly released Mac OS X 10.6.7 security and maintenance update for Snow Leopard features support for the latest -- and even some unreleased -- AMD Radeon graphics cards, hinting at inclusion in future Mac hardware.

Apple releases Mac OS X 10 Lion Developer Preview 2 to developers
AppleInsider | Apple releases Mac OS X 10 Lion Developer Preview 2 to developers
Apple on Wednesday released the second developer preview of its upcoming Mac OS X Lion operating system due this summer, but contrary to recent reports, the pre-release software is not a Gold Master.

Lion preview shows off new iCal look, iChat changes
Lion preview shows off new iCal look, iChat changes | MacNN
Developers and others poring over the second Developer Preview of Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion," released earlier today have already uncovered a few changes, including alterations to iChat and a dramatic new look for iCal, reports The Next Web.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion to deliver Scene Kit framework for 3D apps
AppleInsider | Mac OS X 10.7 Lion to deliver Scene Kit framework for 3D apps
The release of Mac OS X Lion will debut a new development framework called Scene Kit, which developers say will support easy to implement 3D rendering within their apps.

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion sets, finds, corrects insecure folder permissions
AppleInsider | Mac OS X 10.7 Lion sets, finds, corrects insecure folder permissions
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion makes system wide changes to standard folder ownership and permissions to enhance security, finding and recommending changes where necessary.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
woops, already there, how did i miss it?

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lion's Screen Sharing app goes multi-user, more
Lion's Screen Sharing app goes multi-user, more | MacNN
Screen Sharing in the forthcoming Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" has been considerably beefed up, now allowing multiple remote users to log into accounts that are not currently active, and allowing for concurrent users working independently of each other -- much closer to Apple Remote Desktop's ability or Microsoft's Terminal Services, according to an investigation by AppleInsider. The app has been updated from v1.1 to v1.3, and now allows completely separate sessions from any other locally- or remotely-logged in user.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion features new System Information app
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion features new System Information app
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion will have a new feature that should make it easier for everyone to quickly find the system data they need.

Maybe this should have a sticky for a while at least till 10.7 is released then everyone can easily find this topic or it'll just get buried in with the other topics. Just an idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yeah, but at some point we have to weigh the likelihood the thread gets too long so people don't read it all and that the information in it becomes too old and out of date to stay relevant. So I'm not sure stickying would be the best approach.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Maybe this should have a sticky for a while at least till 10.7 is released then everyone can easily find this topic or it'll just get buried in with the other topics. Just an idea.

I agree 8th. Just until it is released would be good. I had to subscribe to the thread to keep up to date with what you are posting, but until 10.7 arrives it could work.

Yeah, but at some point we have to weigh the likelihood the thread gets too long so people don't read it all and that the information in it becomes too old and out of date to stay relevant. So I'm not sure stickying would be the best approach.

Are there not some stickies 600 odd pages long? And if it was stickied up until 10.7 arrives and we all have a good idea it would be in the not to distant future, then that wouldnt make it too old or not relevant as until 10.7 does rear its ugly head everything here would be relevant?? Just wondering is all :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Appreciate the feedback, but it's not going to be stickied. That's not the best approach for this type of information that is constantly changing and influx. There are already articles in this thread that are out of date or are incorrect.

As for 600-page long stickies, depends on their purpose. Social threads, sure. Other information threads need to be rotated periodically to clear out old information and shorten it down so people actually find it useful.

Not to mention the difficulty in having a coherent conversation in a thread like this on every topic having to do with Lion. That would eventually just become a mess. ;)

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see your point. And I agree. Old tech news is as useful as squat. It's either new or it's trash. I'll just keep this topic updated as long as needs to be done.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Bcn

Reaction score

I wonder if this features works with external HDD's as well. I went to my local Apple Store the other day, and the guy I spoke to didn't really know too much about Lion or Airdrop, he said that he thought it might work, but wasn't sure.

I'm looking to buy a new HDD, and if this feature works with external HDD's, I might as well buy one that works with Airdrop.

Anybody got any thoughts on that? Cheers!

Reaction score
I wonder if this features works with external HDD's as well. I went to my local Apple Store the other day, and the guy I spoke to didn't really know too much about Lion or Airdrop, he said that he thought it might work, but wasn't sure.

I'm looking to buy a new HDD, and if this feature works with external HDD's, I might as well buy one that works with Airdrop.

Anybody got any thoughts on that? Cheers!

AirDrop only works between Mac computers that are compatible with not only Lion, but have the compatible WiFi card to use AirDrop. With this being said, the only thing you can do when using AirDrop with another user (they too must have AirDrop open) is send them a file, and from there, they'll decide where to put that file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
$31.99 here in Australia, which is $7.01 cheaper than SL . . . . Finally we didnt get ripped off with the different pricing that goes on around the world . . .

Reaction score
Meh ...... Old news.

Use the Keyboard Shortcut Control>Command>D when you put your cursor over any word in any App . . . . . Brilliant :)

One of my Favourites

Not sure I follow..What is this for? I'm pressing control>command>D in google chrome and it's not doing anything..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Not sure I follow..What is this for? I'm pressing control>command>D in google chrome and it's not doing anything..

Put your cursor over any word in any app, and press that. You'll get a nice little dictionary definition without ever having opened Dictionary.app :Cool:

Reaction score
Put your cursor over any word in any app, and press that. You'll get a nice little dictionary definition without ever having opened Dictionary.app :Cool:

Actually, it does not work in Google Chrome like it does Safari. :|

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Reaction score
Command + D in Chrome = Add to bookmark.

Oh. :Blushing:
head.gif

Well wait a minute...Control+Command+D is the Dictionary pop up in Safari. Isn't there something for Dictionary in Chrome?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.