Screen burn on ipad2

Reaction score
Hello wonderful people of Mac forums this is my first real post here, So bare with me.
I am having problems with my iPad 2 having screen burn (when I close an app the image is still there) some people call it ghosting. I was wondering if apple would replace it free of charge even if my Warrenty is over. Just by 3 months might I add. I also had problems with it being stuck in lock rotation and the wake sleep button not working.however I had just left them and after a few week it fixed it self. Now that this problem is here I cant take it anymore. Also when I do take it in to be looked at is there a backround or specific app I should have open to show the the worst of it. Thx in advance.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It is extremely unlikely that your iPad suffers from image burn - not only is the phenomenon nearly non-existent with LCD technology, but it would take many days of the same image being constantly on the screen - and the iPad's battery would never make it.

Your iPad most likely has a different issue.. Before you get too upset, I would do a restore to the device (instructions here) and see if that does the trick.

OP
K
Reaction score
It is extremely unlikely that your iPad suffers from image burn - not only is the phenomenon nearly non-existent with LCD technology, but it would take many days of the same image being constantly on the screen - and the iPad's battery would never make it.

Your iPad most likely has a different issue.. Before you get too upset, I would do a restore to the device (instructions here) and see if that does the trick.

Thx for the advice. I will try it. However I would like permanently solve the problem not temporary solve the problem because it's only a matter of time before it would start up again. I have searched around and found out its a common problem on iPad 2s I would like to know if apple would replace my device free of charge since its there fault. I don't want to go there and have them say it's out of Warrenty and i have to pay an arm and a leg for repairs. I am currently out of the country and am going there for a 2week period. I don't wanna end up leaving with a not fixed iPad. If i were to call do u think they could tell me if I could get it replaced free. Thx soo much for ur help.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thx for the advice. I will try it. However I would like permanently solve the problem not temporary solve the problem because it's only a matter of time before it would start up again. I have searched around and found out its a common problem on iPad 2s I would like to know if apple would replace my device free of charge since its there fault. I don't want to go there and have them say it's out of Warrenty and i have to pay an arm and a leg for repairs. I am currently out of the country and am going there for a 2week period. I don't wanna end up leaving with a not fixed iPad. If i were to call do u think they could tell me if I could get it replaced free. Thx soo much for ur help.

Googling around, I see that you're right - there's quite a number of people complaining of "image retention". Technically, the old CRT phenomenon of "image burn", seems unlikely, but nevertheless, it seems that some people are seeing this phenomenon on early iPad 2's. I would say that a warranty replacement is probably unlikely - but perhaps a goodwill gesture, if you play your cards right, is possible (i.e. be very polite, but gently assertive).

I would say your chances are probably better if you can demonstrate the issue for someone in-person, like at an Apple Store. In any event, it never hurts to ask... worst they can say is "no".

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have owned 5 iPads and never seen or heard of it FWIW but it is possible it could be a screen panel defect.

So, to answer your question, "would Apple replace my iPad for free?"
Unlikely, they might (I would even say probably) replace your screen for free, providing that
a) the defect is present and apparent when you bring it in
b) it results from a hardware issue, and not 3rd party software etc

EDIT: I see I spent way too much time googling and typing . . . CWA beat me to the punch

OP
K
Reaction score

I have owned 5 iPads and never seen or heard of it FWIW but it is possible it could be a screen panel defect.

So, to answer your question, "would Apple replace my iPad for free?"
Unlikely, they might (I would even say probably) replace your screen for free, providing that
a) the defect is present and apparent when you bring it in
b) it results from a hardware issue, and not 3rd party software etc

EDIT: I see I spent way too much time googling and typing . . . CWA beat me to the punch

Thx you guys for the quick responses.
So you think they might actually replace the screen for free if when I go it's clear there is screen retention?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thx you guys for the quick responses.
So you think they might actually replace the screen for free if when I go it's clear there is screen retention?

Well, outside of the warranty period, they're under no obligation to do so. But Apple has been known to do "goodwill" gestures from time-to-time, particularly if it's a "known defect". In any case, I'd definitely schedule an Apple Store appointment and see what, if anything, they'd be willing to do.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, any word on this? Did you have a chance to stop by an Apple Store?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.