Late 2008 Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I currently have a late 2008 15" MBP, 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo processor, 4GB DDR3 RAM. I have the option to swap this one out for a newer MBP, that would more than likely be the bottom end model; which I'm finding to be the MBP 15" 2.2Ghz i7, 4GB DDR3. I know speed ratings mean nothing, and I know the new i7's are really fast.

Should I make the swap? I do gaming, music recording(pro tools), photoshop, etc. I have a need for a faster processor solely for music purposes alone.

I'm just nervous going from the top-end Macbook Pro that I bought in 2009(April), to the bottom end one 2011(Unless the 2012 model is predicted to hit before May.).

I know there are some perks, but am I losing performance or build quality anywhere? I don't want to regret the exchange. I've also backed up using Time Machine, and am hoping some of my licensing will remain with programs, so I don't need to plunder through all of my things to find old CD Keys.

Also.. I've got XP on a partition, and I no longer have the disk or CD Key. I've read that XP will not go on Lion(I'm still on Leopard 10.5.8). I created a image(.dmg) file of my XP partition using Disk Utility, and stored it onto my external. I'm hoping I can just create a partition, and put that image file in the partition, and leave off like I never changed a thing for XP. Is this possible?

Thank you everyone for your help and advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
THe 15" i7 is not the lower end MBP, the lower end model is the 13" i5, and I wouldn't exactly call that a downgrade. Any of the new MBP machines will be an upgrade from your C2D MBP. Your not losing quality anywhere so don't worry about that the only difference are the processing capabilities. The i5 will be quicker than the C2D and the i7 will be even better. I say make the trade. as far as the XP partition if your using bootcamp I think it will still work, and you could always run it in a VM though you will lose some performance. but bootcamp SHOULD work and as long as all your files are backed up it will be the same. I would deffinetly make this trade as that computer is going to be much better for you.

OP
M
Reaction score
I meant the lower end in the same screen size, sorry, I should have specified. I guess an i7 wouldn't be too bad to have. :D

I have the entire drive imaged, compressed, and backed up; so hopefully that goes without an issue. I've got until the end of April, so I'm going to ride it out, and see if the 2012 MPB gets dropped.

Even graphics will be better? I'm not as familiar with the AMD graphics cards.. This computer is the first nice computer I've had, and I've really enjoyed having Nvidia.

I'm looking forward to seeing the improvement on OSX as well, granted I'm still back two iterations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Going from an early 08mbp to an early 11 mbp (although an i7), was a HUGE improvement in performance.

Reaction score
I was in your exact same situation. Last Saturday I got my late 2008 15" Macbook Pro (2.66Ghz 4Gb Ram) exchanged by Apple due to many unfixed repairs (mostly graphics issues which persisted after many part replacements). They offered the base 15" macbook pro model (2.2Ghz,512Mb graphics card) which I kindly refused. I told them I bought at the time the top of the line macbook pro and due to the issues experienced before and after repairs I'd take a better model,even if it meant paying for the price difference.

Manager came back with the 15" 2.4Ghz i7, 4GB Ram, 750HDD and 1Gb Video.
In the end, I didn't pay for any of it. Customer Service at its best.

The difference is VERY noticeable! Image quality (perhaps mine was getting old), speed, sound, everything feels more robust compared to the new 2008 model. I run everyday apps, photoshop to have fun and flight simulators. That's where I see the difference. I can finally run everything in full graphics mode, doesn't slow. Another great aspect is battery life: went from 2hrs on a new battery on the old model to over 7 with this one.

If you can get a replacement under apple care, I would do it. There will always be something "newer" to come out...
If you pay for it, then wait to see what Apple comes up with.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

OP
M
Reaction score
My warranty is through Best Buy, and I'm not sure they are going to be willing to give me the higher-end model. Though, I did spend $2,500 on a laptop and over 400 on a warranty. They'd better not try to give me the 1,700 dollar model.

I appreciate everyone's insight, I'm going to make the swap.

Does anyone know the answer to my questions about the software licensing? I've got everything backed up via Time Machine, and I'm hoping my ProTools licensing will just transfer over. Also, if my XP partition will work that I imaged through Disk Utility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I've never had any issues with licensing.. save for having to call Adobe and have them reset my activations when systems crashed, and I couldn't deactivate.

Reaction score
Also, if my XP partition will work that I imaged through Disk Utility.

Imaging the Windows partition with Mac tools hasn't worked for me. What you need to do is within the windows partition run a windows program such as Acronis or Norton Ghost to make the image.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks guys. :)

I'm assuming that Acronis or Norton Ghost would make a disk image that I could then just flash from Boot Camp. I'll go research them and give it a shot, I appreciate it, Easy.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Neither (Acronis, Norton) will work because they need a BIOS and do not understand EFI.

Reaction score
Neither (Acronis, Norton) will work because they need a BIOS and do not understand EFI.

Thanks for the insight. Makes sense but was always told those were the ones needed to create an image file of the drive. So what can we use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
Hey guys,

Also.. I've got XP on a partition, and I no longer have the disk or CD Key. I've read that XP will not go on Lion(I'm still on Leopard 10.5.8).

I can tell you first had that XP does work as duel boot on Lion. I'm currently using it and have the latest and up to date version of Lion.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.