Customizing toolbar in MS Word 2011

Reaction score
We are using MS Word 2011 for Mac and for some reason I can't customize the toolbar. When I click the button I want to add to the menu and also Option, it won't drag and stick to the menu. I've tried with the Option key, without, with and without Command - nothing works.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To modify the toolbar in Word 2011....

Right click on the toolbar you wish to modify and select "Customize Toolbars and Menus". A dialog will open showing the menu names. For example "File", "Edit", "View", "Insert", and so forth. Click on one of them and it should show all the icons and names that can be selected for that command. Or you can select "All Commands" instead. But that gives you a long list.

When you find an item you want to add to the toolbar, just drag it from the dialog onto the toolbar where you wish for it to be placed. After you're through modifying the toolbar, select OK. The new icons are added and the Normal Template will be updated.

OP
C
Reaction score
Customizing Toolbar

Thanks for your feedback but I still can't drag the tools to the bar. When I select Customize Toolbars and I have all the options in front of me, I drag them to the bar but I get a STOP sign. I've tried dragging while also holding down the Control key, Command and also Option but nothing works.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure what's happening. Your Normal Template could be corrupt and it may be the reason it won't update the toolbar. Try this procedure below:

Close all Microsoft Office applications.

Use your Finder and navigate to the following....

/Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/Normal.dotm

Move the file "Normal.dotm" to your desktop. Restart Microsoft Word. A new Normal.dotm will be created. Now try to change the toolbar. Let us know if that works.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting back, glad to hear it's fixed. Have fun and visit often.

Reaction score
Tried this - didn't work

I'm not sure what's happening. Your Normal Template could be corrupt and it may be the reason it won't update the toolbar. Try this procedure below:

Close all Microsoft Office applications.

Use your Finder and navigate to the following....

/Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/Normal.dotm

Move the file "Normal.dotm" to your desktop. Restart Microsoft Word. A new Normal.dotm will be created. Now try to change the toolbar. Let us know if that works.

I tried this solution (you forgot to mention that in order to get to Library you have to click on GO in the finder bar, then press Option, and the Library appears). However, I went through all these steps several times, and I still can't customize any toolbar. The same thing happens to me as to the other guy - when I drag the new button selection, I get a "stop" sign icon, and the toolbar seems locked and unable to accept any customization.

Got any other ideas that might make this work?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For convenience sake, I suggest first unhiding your user library instead of having to use GO and Option. Enter the following from terminal:

Code:
chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Which version of Office are you running? The procedure and location of the normal template is the same for 2008 as it is for 2011. I don't know if it's the same for earlier versions.

Once you've done that make sure you have no open Office applications or documents. Follow the procedure above again to see if you get a new "normal.dotm". Verify that it is a new template and not the old one.

One other thing came to mind.... Click on the top menu item "Tools", then click on the menu item "Templates and Add-Ins". Check to see if you have anything else listed here other than "normal.dotm". If you have any add ins or other templates listed, temporarily remove them and restart Word.

If the above suggestions do not work, I don't know off hand of anything else that might cause the toolbars to be locked. You may be faced with a reinstall to solve the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.