Show us your OSX Terminal.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Since I work with UNIX all day when I work, I try not to look at it when I working on my system. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Since I work with UNIX all day when I work, I try not to look at it when I working on my system. :)

lol Polar opposite. I do all day, every day, and well.. I don't feel comfortable in the GUI environment.. never have, probably never will. To me the GUI exists to offer up xterms ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I always just think of the GUI as being a fancy front end to the CLI tools (it's very much like that in the Linux world IIRC). That creeps over into OS X. For instance, I think the firewall System Preferences pane is a front end for ipfw and the pane for sharing is a front end for Apache, Samba et al.

OP
dtravis7

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you can type decently, you can fly in the terminal and it's more fun. Actually helps your typing skills and make your brain work and think more!

Even though I like a GUI, I love typing at a terminal also. Did it for many years before I owned a decent GUI system.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I think we should sticky this as the official nerd thread... :D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
And I come from a sociology and education background. ;)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
It's good to have a diverse nerd population :D ...errr...pardon me...I mean geek :p

OP
dtravis7

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed on the Sticky for sure. Nerd, Geek, whatever! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Geek is the nice way of saying brainiac !!!! Nerd is a more derogative way. I think geek sounds cooler too ;)

Back to Terminal. I used it once to rid myself of the horrid Dashboard and and did its job. I asked you Van once for a recommendation on a good Linux whatever to dl and use it in a VM. Im still getting around too it lol but in the near future ill have a chance to sit down one weekend and have a blast.
I think ill get a lot out of it in ways that would help me too.

<ines black with white writing

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ubuntu is probably the most user friendly out there.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ubuntu is probably the most user friendly out there.
openSUSE is another good one (my personal favourite) and Fedora's not bad either. This is where virtual machines are great - you can try them all without any consequences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
openSUSE is another good one (my personal favourite) and Fedora's not bad either. This is where virtual machines are great - you can try them all without any consequences.

As odd as it sounds, I use all three of those on a daily basis.. personally, my work laptops RHEL.. and it's what I tend to prefer. Go figure.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried to use RH back before the RHEL days (RH9 was my first distribution) and just couldn't get into it. Gave it another go with Fedora Core 3/4 through 6 and still found myself wondering why I would use it permanently. There's just something about it that irks me and I can't put my finger on it. I think it might have something to do with the allure of YaST which, despite claims that it's bloated, I love.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried to use RH back before the RHEL days (RH9 was my first distribution) and just couldn't get into it. Gave it another go with Fedora Core 3/4 through 6 and still found myself wondering why I would use it permanently. There's just something about it that irks me and I can't put my finger on it. I think it might have something to do with the allure of YaST which, despite claims that it's bloated, I love.

Yea, but I made my living running RH boxes for a while.. eventually you get used to something (hey, I even really liked solaris :Mischievous: )

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey, I even really liked solaris :Mischievous:
Well, now I have to question your sanity. :p

I tried Solaris a while back and had to have a drink after trying it. I didn't think it was possible to make an operating system so slow. Now, mind you, I was running it in a VM but not only was is slow relative to other VMs I run but it was slow in VirtualBox! Ugh, the thought of trying to use it again makes me cringe. It tarnishes the Unix name. Haha.

So, I just found this - a tip to adding smiley faces to the bash prompt. I don't know how to feel about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, now I have to question your sanity. :p

I tried Solaris a while back and had to have a drink after trying it. I didn't think it was possible to make an operating system so slow. Now, mind you, I was running it in a VM but not only was is slow relative to other VMs I run but it was slow in VirtualBox! Ugh, the thought of trying to use it again makes me cringe. It tarnishes the Unix name. Haha.

So, I just found this - a tip to adding smiley faces to the bash prompt. I don't know how to feel about that.

Solaris runs great on a sparc processor.. anything else, not so much.. oh did I mention I had a Ultra20 as a workstation then (and a tadpole for a laptop) :D

reading the link...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yes, I've heard that Solaris runs like a dream on Sparc machines. I should have tested that - I got an old Sun box from someone once for $20 but never ended up using it (it weighed more than a car). I was going to run Linux on it but never got the chance since I didn't have a keyboard to start the install process.

OP
dtravis7

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yes, I've heard that Solaris runs like a dream on Sparc machines. I should have tested that - I got an old Sun box from someone once for $20 but never ended up using it (it weighed more than a car). I was going to run Linux on it but never got the chance since I didn't have a keyboard to start the install process.

That place I go in the Silicon Valley I have mentioned before called WierdStuff Warehouse has monitors, Keyboards and everything for the Sparc. I also almost bought one of the little Sun workstations but having to get all that stuff to make it work threw me off. Might check next time I go into the Bay Area.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.