Time Machine

Reaction score
I bought a 500GB Ex HDD and started using Time Machine. It backs up every hour. Can I slow it down to once a day? :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
you can turn time machine off and back up manually by hitting back up now once a day... Is there any reason why every hour is not good for you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Is there any reason why every hour is not good for you?

1.He/she may be using a notebook and therefore be on the move constantly
2. save USB ports on the Macbook (there's only 2!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I agree, why do you need to reduce the frequency of backups? If you don't have it plugged in all the time, you don't have to worry about missing backups as Time Machine caches what to backup and does so the next time you plug in the external drive.

If you're worried about disk space, again, you have nothing to worry about. Over time, those hourly backups are consolidated into daily backups, which then become weekly backups, and I suppose after long enough they'll become monthly backups. So your drive isn't going to become cluttered with hourly backups over time.

OP
me1303
Reaction score
It backed up nearly 80 gigs in one day...at that rate my drive will be full in a week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
It backed up nearly 80 gigs in one day...at that rate my drive will be full in a week.

Well, this first go-around was to create a base image of what you have. From now on, it will only back up files that have been created or changed. Hourly is the way to go.

OP
me1303
Reaction score
Well, this first go-around was to create a base image of what you have. From now on, it will only back up files that have been created or changed. Hourly is the way to go.

Well, that makes sense and makes me feel better about it. Thanks :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.