AT&T customer selling me his new iphone 4 on a newly signed contract.

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am in need of a little advice. I have setup a deal to meet someone at an At&t store and he is going to purchase a new iphone 4 by cashing in his upgrade. He plans on keeping his 3GS and selling the iPhone 4 to me for a really good deal. Will I run into any issues setting up the phone? Will at&t send me a new microsim without any hassle? And will the phone still be under warranty once I have it in my possesion? Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you planning on using the phone with AT&T or another carrier?

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes I am also with AT&T. We are actually meeting at the store and he is going to purchase the phone so I know it's not a scam. I guess what I am worried about is the AT&T employees getting all bent out of shape because he is selling the phone to me. And I also want to make sure AT&T doesn't tie the phone to his account for the 2 years so if he stops paying, they lock up my phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27 iMac 2.93
Well, call ahead and present the scenario to a AT&T person at the store, they should be able to give you a quick response whether you will run into any troubles or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Yes I am also with AT&T. We are actually meeting at the store and he is going to purchase the phone so I know it's not a scam. I guess what I am worried about is the AT&T employees getting all bent out of shape because he is selling the phone to me. And I also want to make sure AT&T doesn't tie the phone to his account for the 2 years so if he stops paying, they lock up my phone.

I don't see why the sales rep will say no to it. They are still getting a contract sale.

As long as your SIM card is in the phone then there shouldn't be any tie to his account.

OP
B
Reaction score
I don't see why the sales rep will say no to it. They are still getting a contract sale.

As long as your SIM card is in the phone then there shouldn't be any tie to his account.

Yeah I think thats the case. I called a retail at&t store and the rep seemed to be ok with doing it, but she wouldn't give me a straight answer on whether or not my phone would be affected if this guy defaults on his account. But I don't see how it could. I just think they know that some people get thier new phones and sell them then stop paying on their accounts. Maybe they are instructed to try to cut down on that. I'm just going to go for it because its too good of a deal to pass up. This guy just needs some quick cash and I want an iphone 4 without a 2 year commitment so it works out for everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.