Need fan controller for uni MBP with windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Does anyone know of a good fan controller program for the uni MBP with windows 7 installed? I've been trying to find something but with no luck. I noticed that it gets too hot. For me to leave it like that when the fans can get boosted a lot more, makes no sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.4ghz Peryn 4 gig
I don't know about the unibody but for my early 2008 mbp there really is not a good option. What you can do with smc fan control is set the default in osx and when you restart into windows it will keep the same fan setting. That is the only thing I have found that works for me.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I don't know about the unibody but for my early 2008 mbp there really is not a good option. What you can do with smc fan control is set the default in osx and when you restart into windows it will keep the same fan setting. That is the only thing I have found that works for me.

nice, I will give that a try!

Reaction score
Speedfan is a Windows application that works in WinXP. It should work in Win7.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
the problem is that it can't find the fans. I seem to be getting the same problem with all the programs. Yep, I am correct, no program I have downlaoded seems to be able to sense the fans or computer temperature. wth...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
the problem is that it can't find the fans. I seem to be getting the same problem with all the programs. Yep, I am correct, no program I have downlaoded seems to be able to sense the fans or computer temperature. wth...

Give this Windows program a try: RMClock 235 It's free. Link Note, however, this program does not control the fans but instead controls the CPU and keeps it from overheating. Read the instructions carefully.

You should NOT be using a program to ramp up your fans anyway as that will only wear them out much faster than normal. That includes using SMC Fan control in OS X or Speedfan in Windows.

Regards.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Give this Windows program a try: RMClock 235 It's free. Link Note, however, this program does not control the fans but instead controls the CPU and keeps it from overheating. Read the instructions carefully.

You should NOT be using a program to ramp up your fans anyway as that will only wear them out much faster than normal. That includes using SMC Fan control in OS X or Speedfan in Windows.

Regards.

haha, I'd rather have a dusty fan than a melted motherboard!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
haha, I'd rather have a dusty fan than a melted motherboard!

You're not going to have a "melted motherboard", the machine would turn itself off well before that would happen.

Your fans are thermostatically controlled by the SMC. Using fan control programs is fine, but not necessary - and of course the more you run them (and particularly at higher speeds), the shorter their service life.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You're not going to have a "melted motherboard", the machine would turn itself off well before that would happen.

Your fans are thermostatically controlled by the SMC. Using fan control programs is fine, but not necessary - and of course the more you run them (and particularly at higher speeds), the shorter their service life.

looks like someone didn't clearly read my previous posts.
yeah, when it is running osx, but windows 7 doesn't change the fan speed at all! It gets so hot that you seriously can't touch it for more than a second! There obviously isn't a controller checking the temps because it would not be that hot! it would be running the same as it does under OSX.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
looks like someone didn't clearly read my previous posts.
yeah, when it is running osx, but windows 7 doesn't change the fan speed at all! It gets so hot that you seriously can't touch it for more than a second! There obviously isn't a controller checking the temps because it would not be that hot! it would be running the same as it does under OSX.

It should be EFI/SMC controlled. Perhaps it's not working because Windows 7 is still in beta and not directly supported by Boot Camp. I'd recommend running it in a VM until official driver support is released.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
It should be EFI/SMC controlled. Perhaps it's not working because Windows 7 is still in beta and not directly supported by Boot Camp. I'd recommend running it in a VM until official driver support is released.

GOOD CALL!!!!! It's kind of worrying me that it can't sense the temperatures or the 2 fans...stupid windows...i just want to play my all time favorite game, Need for speed: Porsche Unleashed:)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
GOOD CALL!!!!! It's kind of worrying me that it can't sense the temperatures or the 2 fans...stupid windows...i just want to play my all time favorite game, Need for speed: Porsche Unleashed:)

I question the wisdom of running beta Microsoft software on any production system. I also think Apple might not be out of line in invalidating your warranty if this did cause a hardware failure.

I'd recommend putting a supported version of Windows in Boot Camp for gaming purposes. If you want to toy with Windows 7, do so in an appropriate sandboxed environment like a VM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17, core 2 duo 2.40GHz, 4G ram, 320GB HD, GeForce 8600M GT, OS X 10.5.7
No problems here

I have the latest firmware update and Windows 7 RC 32-bit and fan control is working nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.