Macbook vs. Macbook Pro Questions...

Reaction score
After using a PC for longer than I care to admit ;) I am once again considering a switch to a Mac. To be honest, it is Parallels (specifically Parallels Coherence) that is pushing me towards a Mac.

Anyway, I prefer the small size of the Macbook, but the weight of the Macbook Pro is similar... and I'm torn. So, for the "switchers" that are familiar with both models:

* Which one is easier to type on?

* Which runs hotter?

* What's the battery life difference between the two?

* Do the Macbooks still have that "hard edge" problem (wrists getting hurt on the wristpad)?

* Any other known problems? (on either machine?)

* Other than game playing (which I don't do) and a backlit keyboard (not sure I'd make use of it) are there any compelling reasons to buy one over the other?

I've got other questions as well... but this should help prepare me before visiting the local Apple store for a hands-on comparison.

Thanks for the help! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Pros have bigger screen and a faster processor.

Reaction score
After using a PC for longer than I care to admit ;) I am once again considering a switch to a Mac. To be honest, it is Parallels (specifically Parallels Coherence) that is pushing me towards a Mac.

Anyway, I prefer the small size of the Macbook, but the weight of the Macbook Pro is similar... and I'm torn. So, for the "switchers" that are familiar with both models:

* Which one is easier to type on?

* Which runs hotter?

* What's the battery life difference between the two?

* Do the Macbooks still have that "hard edge" problem (wrists getting hurt on the wristpad)?

* Any other known problems? (on either machine?)

* Other than game playing (which I don't do) and a backlit keyboard (not sure I'd make use of it) are there any compelling reasons to buy one over the other?

I've got other questions as well... but this should help prepare me before visiting the local Apple store for a hands-on comparison.

Thanks for the help! :)

1. Probably the MBP because the MacBook has sharp edges. I'm not saying it cuts your wrist, because I got used to typing on the MB and I'm an even better typer than before. Now when I type on my sister's MBP it feels like I'm back to a PC.

2. They both run pretty Hot. There were some issues with the first-generation MacBooks that they ran hot doing almost anything but if you ask anyone today they'll tell you the kinks got worked out. It's sort of a tie.

3. MacBook has a 6 hour battery life whereas the MBPs are constrained to about 4-5 hours.

4. Like I said, it's not really that bad. You just have to angle more towards the keyboard. Don't worry you won't be in any awkward positions trying to save your wrists. Mostly people who have problems with the edges come from a background of Desktop computers.

5.Not really, you're getting a snappy computer with a darn good processor either way.

6.You know what? I say no. The MacBook is powerful (more powerful than most laptops out there) and will do everything you need it do and then some. The MBP is really graphics-heavy and is designed for PROFESSIONAL users (in the field of some sort of multimedia production). The MBP feels really awkward sitting on my lap. It's practically wider than my hips and its harder to type, whereas the MacBook sits directly on your lap, perfectly squared, light and sleek, easy to use.

IMO:
MacBook Wins for you.

Reaction score
It's more based on personal preference and the type of work you'd be doing on your Mac that would be the deciding factor. When you go to the Apple store and actually get to use them, you'll know by instinct which will be a better match for you. I personally need the power and dedicated graphics of the MBP, and dare I say, it looks better than the MB.

I'd like to add on a couple of Title27GT's answers:
3) Realistically, the MB will get around 4 hours or so and the MBPs will get around 3.5 hours under normal usage.

4) The "hard edge" problem on the MB, like Title27GT said, isn't really that bad. However, on the MBPs, you can place the entire lower half of your arm on the wrist area, it's pretty funny.

5) While there aren't technically any problems (yet) with the current batch of MBs and MBPs, they do get hot underneath so you might want to watch out for that. I think the misapplied thermal paste problem is still happening today on the MBPs, but don't hold me to that.

Reaction score
Thanks Softtack, I failed to mention that the battery life examples I gave were for when you weren't using wi-fi, watching a movie, bluetooth turned off, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Thanks Softtack, I failed to mention that the battery life examples I gave were for when you weren't using wi-fi, watching a movie, bluetooth turned off, etc.

Not even that. The battery stats that Apple lists are all that you mentioned, but with the screen off, and not running any processes.

Realistically, you can get 2.5-3hr on a MacBook Pro (from experience), and about (correct me if I'm wrong) 3-4hr on a MacBook.

Reaction score
Not even that. The battery stats that Apple lists are all that you mentioned, but with the screen off, and not running any processes.

Realistically, you can get 2.5-3hr on a MacBook Pro (from experience), and about (correct me if I'm wrong) 3-4hr on a MacBook.

Yes. Using Wi-Fi on a MacBook you're going to get about 3.75 hours and on a MBP about 2.7 hours.

OP
S
Reaction score
6.You know what? I say no. The MacBook is powerful (more powerful than most laptops out there) and will do everything you need it do and then some. The MBP is really graphics-heavy and is designed for PROFESSIONAL users (in the field of some sort of multimedia production). The MBP feels really awkward sitting on my lap. It's practically wider than my hips and its harder to type, whereas the MacBook sits directly on your lap, perfectly squared, light and sleek, easy to use.
Especially this info. It's the kind of stuff you can't get from a visit to an Apple store. Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Especially this info. It's the kind of stuff you can't get from a visit to an Apple store. Thanks! :)

Yeah, I come here whenever I have a question. If you go to an apple store, the salepeople are like "yes-men". They'll give you an answer you like (even if its not the best solution) justo make you buy a Mac.

Reaction score

Glad to help.
*gently grabs your hand and guides your mouse to the add reputation button*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ipod video 30 gb/ Macbook Pro 2.2...... iphone up next i know
Yeah, I come here whenever I have a question. If you go to an apple store, the salepeople are like "yes-men". They'll give you an answer you like (even if its not the best solution) justo make you buy a Mac.

So true so very true they. I went to the Mac store twice. The first time I didn't get waited on am not gonna say it was a racial thing or complain for a whole page they where just busy understandable. The second time I went and they just told me the basics of the products. It kinda of had the feeling of a racer going to basic driving school...very dull. :| But I love this forum and search is really amazing who would have known? O:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.