Please help with classic networking...

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an old Mac laptop (system 7.5.5.) which is equipped with an ethernet card, and which I now wish to connect to broadband. The machine has classic networking, not Open Transport, but I just can't connect it (and my internet provider cannot advise me, either). If anyone could enlighten me, I'd be really grateful.

So far I have:

(a) turned AppleTalk on
(b) In MacTCP I have chosen 'Ethernet Built-in'
(c) In 'IP Address', I have entered the static address assigned to me
(d) In 'More', I have chosen to 'Obtain Address' 'Manually'
(e) I have entered a Gateway Address, as supplied by my internet provider
(f) I have chosen Class A (or, rather, it automatically sets itself)
(g) In 'Domain Name Server Information', I have entered two DNS addresses, as supplied by my internet provider, but don't know what to enter in the 'Domain' section. As such, I have entered a period ('.') as advised on a website I came across.

When I attempt to access the internet, I get a message saying that a network socket could not be opened, or words to that effect, and the server could not be reached.

If anyone could help me solve this problem, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Best, Rods

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
what is the exact computer you are on? specs etc.

OP
E
Reaction score
Hi

It is a Powerbook 5300cs. I think it was originally system 7.5.3, but someone updated it to 7.5.5. for me.

Do you need to know anything else?

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks so much for giving me your time. I've had this problem for over a week now.... I'll take a look at that link, too.

OP
E
Reaction score
I can't find the relevant article in that link (this is not helped by the fact that some of the links don't work for me). So if anyone can provide an answer to my original question, I'd be most grateful....

Thanks, Rods

OP
E
Reaction score
Hi,

There is no 'Configure' option. The configuration is done within the MacTCP screen. Under the 'More...' option, the following boxes appear:

(a) 'Obtain Address' (for which the options are Manually, Server or Dynamic)

(b) 'Routing Information, Gateway Address'

(c) 'IP Address' (in which you enter a class [A,B or C], and in which there are details/boxes for 'Address', 'Subnet Mask', 'Net', 'Subnet' and 'Node')

and (d) 'Domain Name Server Information' (in which there are boxes entitled 'Domain' and 'IP Address)

This seems to be it....

Reaction score
Hi,

There is no 'Configure' option. The configuration is done within the MacTCP screen. Under the 'More...' option, the following boxes appear:

(a) 'Obtain Address' (for which the options are Manually, Server or Dynamic)

(b) 'Routing Information, Gateway Address'

(c) 'IP Address' (in which you enter a class [A,B or C], and in which there are details/boxes for 'Address', 'Subnet Mask', 'Net', 'Subnet' and 'Node')

and (d) 'Domain Name Server Information' (in which there are boxes entitled 'Domain' and 'IP Address)

This seems to be it....

This looks promising?

OP
E
Reaction score
Hi Marty,

I've tried to configure that screen, but I still can't access the internet. I've put in the details (in, I hope, the right places) supplied by my internet provider (although the provider doesn't know what I ought to put in the 'domain' box), but I don't get a connection. I was hoping that some expert of old Mac systems would be able to help. I'm sure it's a simple thing which needs to be done (simple, that is, if you know what to do!).

Hopefully, this thread will remain open until that expert reads my problems...

Reaction score
I'm wondering if your PowerBook would efficiently cope with today's Internet... A lot has changed in CyberSpace since 1995.

The selection of Web Browsers for the classic Mac OS is reduced - iCab is the only up-to-date one still being developed. With a little "tuning" of the available browsers serve as passable Internet programs:

Assign the program of more memory.
Turn off virtual memory.
Use a RAM disk and store the browser's cache there.
If you connect by Modem/PPP, set the name server address to automatic configuration in the TCP/IP control panel.
Now and then examine whether the name server address still matches your current ISP.
Be sure you've installed the CarbonLib version 1.6 system extension.

I also found this link:

PowerBook 5300c Internet Performance Analysis

If possible, an update to OS 8 would be recommended.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks, Marty. That is useful information. However, I'll persist to at least get the Mac connected to the internet, and deal with those problems then!

Thanks again for your input,

Rods

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Who is your Internet provider? Is it Cable, DSL? I have set up older macs on my DSL before and they worked with system 7.5.5.

OP
E
Reaction score
Hi Dennis,

I don't know the meaning of the terms (e.g. DSL) - I'm useless - but it is a broadband connection via a modem router which runs through the phone line. In other words, it's not cable...

OP
E
Reaction score
Oh, and the internet provider is a British company called 'Eclipse'. I don't know if that information helps at all.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since you are going through a router, it should work. So the phone line comes from the outside into the modem then to the router or is the modem and the router all in the same case? If it's a router it should assign an IP address. It's too late here to dig out a really old system with 7.5 on it but I tried my old 5200/75 Performa with 8.0. It's plugged into my router. I have the TCP/IP set at Ethernet and get the address Automatically which is now called DHCP. Try changing from Manual to Automatic and see if that works. It sounds like you do have DSL by the way.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Dennis. The modem and router are in the same case. As for the automatic option, there doesn't seem to be such a thing. I have tried to 'Obtain Address' 'Dynamically', but that doesn't work. I should add that on my ethernet connection, there are two lights. One of them is block green, which demonstrates that a good network connection is established. The other flashes when data is being received, but this remains ominously unlit....

Reaction score
Just pulled out my 5300 with 7.5.3. In the apple talk control panel select
a port setting ,in your case Ethernet. You do have the right Mac drivers for the Ethernet card? In the tcp/ip control panel there are two pull down menus, connect via_______and configure________ click
on the arrows to change to ethernet and ppp server or manual.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.