iOS7 back to iOS6 can it be done ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Hi all my neighbours loved her iPad until her hubby upgraded it, now she hates it and is very distressed as a result.

I told her it can't GO BACK to iOS6 but her Hubby doesn't believe ME !, so I fear he is going to look very stupid when he goes to our nearby Apple Store tomorrow !.

Am I Right or Am I wrong ?

Tim

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not sure about the iPad but you can certainly do it for the iPhone 4 (instructions here). I imagine that it's possible with the iPad if that's the case for the iPhone. There are other instructions online if you'd like to try those as well (just search "downgrade ios 7 to ios6 ipad" or something similar).

A caution: I haven't tried those and can't vouch for any instructions. Use them at your own risk.

I doubt the Apple Store will tell her that she can downgrade especially since most techniques require some advanced and unconventional knowledge. Thus, even if it is possible, I wouldn't count on the Apple Store people detailing the possibilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 DUO,8GB,G4SE 8600GT 256,leopard 10.5.8
I like a lot of the features, but I can't stand the IO7 look and where some things are now laid out. MY EYES!!!!! And I have never not liked an apple layout and looks. All my old app icons that stayed the same are far better.......I hope there will be. A better update soon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I like a lot of the features, but I can't stand the IO7 look and where some things are now laid out. MY EYES!!!!! And I have never not liked an apple layout and looks. All my old app icons that stayed the same are far better.......I hope there will be. A better update soon

What you may find as my friend has noted not wanting to update to iOS7 is he is being locked out of a few apps that require it just something for you to think about.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Thank you lads for your Help and Opinions on my Question.

Vansmith gave a link above which may have been ok, but I dont know what a SHSH BLOB is and wouldn't know one if I saw one ;) and the lady who owns the iPad is a lot less Savvy than I :)

However I do know the hubby has now been dragged over to the Apple Store in Milton Keynes by his irate missus, but I noticed he had removed his hearing aid before he went :)

I reckon she will have to get used to iOS7 or give it to me LOL, kool, it has got 64gig Memory as well :)

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thank you lads for your Help and Opinions on my Question.

Vansmith gave a link above which may have been ok, but I dont know what a SHSH BLOB is and wouldn't know one if I saw one ;) and the lady who owns the iPad is a lot less Savvy than I :)

However I do know the hubby has now been dragged over to the Apple Store in Milton Keynes by his irate missus, but I noticed he had removed his hearing aid before he went :)

I reckon she will have to get used to iOS7 or give it to me LOL, kool, it has got 64gig Memory as well :)

Hi Tim - I have an iPad 2 upgraded to iOS 7 (wife's Mini also) - we had no problem adjusting; the motion/zooming features can be annoying but have been lessened w/ minor updates (and can be adjusted in settings).

SHSH Blobs are needed to revert back to earlier iOS versions - used mainly by those jailbreaking an iPad - likely do not exist for your friend's device, so no possibility to get back to iOS 6 - Apple did have a 'short' window for downgrading but over weeks ago; also, Apple does not support downgrading their iOS, so your friend will probably have no luck @ the Apple Store - could visit some of the jailbreaking/hacking iPad sites, e.g. iPad Forums has an active sub-forum devoted for that purpose, but likely will get a NO there, also. Dave :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Hi Tim - I have an iPad 2 upgraded to iOS 7 (wife's Mini also) - we had no problem adjusting; the motion/zooming features can be annoying but have been lessened w/ minor updates (and can be adjusted in settings). Dave :)

Hi Rad Dave, thanks for that buddy, I have just got back home after having a cuppa at this couples house (it is much bigger than mine LOL) and his Wife has calmed down very noticeably after being told she cannot GO BACK, it seems she was most disturbed by the screen being too bright, but I showed her the Panel that can be dragged up from the bottom of the screen and she was well pleased with that, they had also ticked the box for Bold print for her.

Before he would let me go home he wanted me to help him with his Windows 8 Lap Top, jeez, I couldn't get out of his house quick enough LOL. I didn't want to be seen showing any interest in it at all, it is awful !. He was wanting me to find out why emails on his lap top worked ok, but when using the same email account on there iPad, he could send new emails Ok, but when Forwarding Emails it doesn't work !, I gave up trying to find his Lap Tops email settings, to compare with there iPad.

Tim

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
WOW! Was he using the Metro Email app? If so I feel your pain! I would have made an excuse and gotten out of there also! :D Grin

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
WOW! Was he using the Metro Email app? If so I feel your pain! I would have made an excuse and gotten out of there also! :D Grin

I am NOT conversant with Windows at all, dont want to be either, I would run screaming while jumping off of Beachy Head if I had to use a Windows computer again, seriously !

The email program he was using with Windose 8 was Microsoft Outlook is that the same as "Metro email" ???

Tim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.