MAC vs PC Internet Speed

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I am new to macs (just got one two day ago!) and excuse me if I say silly things.
I got a mac book pro two days ago and was using my vaio laptop for two years now. I have a 4Mb connection with a router and so far I have been downloading stuff from the internet with speeds up to 440Kb/sec.
Since I have connected the mac onto the router, the speed has dropped a lot. Most I have got so far is 120Kb/sec and I am really worried for this.
There is not a problem with the internet connection / provider as far as I am concerned.
Do I do something wrong?
Can someone help me?

Thank you very much. I am looking forward for your answers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I don't know how to help you but the Macbook Pro should have a gigabit ethernet connector 10/100/1000. It should be more than capable of handling high speed access.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
With a highspeed connection, download speeds typically have more to do with the server you're downloading from than anything on your end.

Try a speed test.
My MBP via wireless connection sittin' 75' from the router is:6586kb/s down and 481 up.
Meanwhile my desktop XP machine with a gigabit connection on current test is only:4921 and 464

:( Now I may have to go see what's wrong with my windows machine - naw - ain't used it in awhile anyway.

Reaction score
I plugged my MBP directly to my airport extreme and I got 15,771 kb/s down and 1,892 kb/s up

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have found my Macs get the same speed doing a speed test as my PC's. All tested machines are hardwired to the router. I try to use the same browser as I have noticed a bit of difference that way but nothing major. All are exactly the same here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
With a highspeed connection, download speeds typically have more to do with the server you're downloading from than anything on your end.

Try a speed test.
My MBP via wireless connection sittin' 75' from the router is:6586kb/s down and 481 up.
Meanwhile my desktop XP machine with a gigabit connection on current test is only:4921 and 464

:( Now I may have to go see what's wrong with my windows machine - naw - ain't used it in awhile anyway.
Neat site.

My speeds are a lot slower than yours in comparison:

-G4 Mini 1320kb/s down, 320kb/s up. This is wireless with a Belkin Wireless g router about 45-50 feet away.

-Dell Dimension 1317kb/s down, 321kb/s up. This is with the Dell plugged directly into the router with a 3' cable.

I have SBC DSL service.

-Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
thanx people. I run some tests and seems fine. although, it seems to be still slow compared to what I used to have with the pc. Anyway, I guess it is the provider's problem so should be sorted out soon!

thanx for your help! :)
\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I'm also a Mac newbie, but above average with computers. I have a two month old MBP and love it. However, the usable internet speeds are slow. The speed tests come back with 800k down and 128 up, which is the limit for our Time Warner package (it's not fast, but it's cheap). However, when we use hulu.com for TV or movies, it breaks up and buffers significantly.

Is there a way to watch the actual internet speeds received in real time? Windows can do it with a control panel app. How is the same thing done on a Mac? I'd rather not pay for the next higher speed, but want to diagnose the real problem.

Thanks for your help and Macs do rock.

Alan

Reaction score
I'd good results by raising 'recvspace','sendspace' to 261144 and 'rfc1323' to 1.
Before my XP(bootcamp) was much more faster than MAC OSX, especially in download.
But it seems that this is not true for all types of internet connections

C

chas_m

thanx people. I run some tests and seems fine. although, it seems to be still slow compared to what I used to have with the pc. Anyway, I guess it is the provider's problem so should be sorted out soon!

thanx for your help! :)
\

There is ONE thing that could be making a significant difference. Flash.

Adobe has never brought Flash for the Mac up to the standards of Flash for the PC, for reasons that are very unclear. Indeed, its said that the Mac version of Flash is actually running a mini-PC emulator within the package, which would explain why Flash on the Mac needs extra resources.

Considering that is it the Mac customers who made Adobe into the company it is today, this seem bass-ackwards to us. :)

Hopefully the increasing pressure from Apple and others moving to HTML5 for certain kinds of delivery will force Adobe to get off their duff and do the right thing (or be replaced with something not requiring a proprietary plugin).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hopefully the increasing pressure from Apple and others moving to HTML5 for certain kinds of delivery will force Adobe to get off their duff and do the right thing (or be replaced with something not requiring a proprietary plugin).

Apparently, Adobe has learned nothing in the past two years... As you may already know, the iPad does not support Flash. That tells the story. :Angry-Tongue: As for HTML5, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
8.6MBPs down
.94MBPs up
84ms ping.

About 30 feet from my AEBS and have TWC's Road Runner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.