Replacing battery?

Reaction score
I have a 15 inch MBP I got in 2009.

It's now telling me I need to replace the battery. I did some research and saw I could replace the battery fairly easily.

Where can I buy a battery and is there any tutorials I can watch on how to do this?[I want to make sure I fully know what to do before I buy the battery and start trying to replace it]

The model identifier on my mac says it's a 5,3 if that helps.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Other World Computing sells replacement batteries that are as good and in some cases exceed those sold by Apple. There are numerous videos available on YouTube and also elsewhere that show how to replace the battery. A search with Google should find some for you.

OP
F
Reaction score
Other World Computing sells replacement batteries that are as good and in some cases exceed those sold by Apple. There are numerous videos available on YouTube and also elsewhere that show how to replace the battery. A search with Google should find some for you.
Do you think doing it myself is going to be cheaper than the apple store?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a 15 inch MBP I got in 2009.

It's now telling me I need to replace the battery. I did some research and saw I could replace the battery fairly easily.

Where can I buy a battery and is there any tutorials I can watch on how to do this?[I want to make sure I fully know what to do before I buy the battery and start trying to replace it]

The model identifier on my mac says it's a 5,3 if that helps.

Does your MBP have the battery that just pops out...or is it the technically "non-user replaceable" battery that you have to take the computer apart to get at it?

If it's the battery that just pops out...then the link (OWC) that "chscag" provided will do the trick.:)

If it's the type of battery that you have to take the computer apart to get at...then go to:

- Mac Repair

...for a replacement battery

And go to:

- iFixit: The free repair manual

...for the assembly/disassembly procedure.

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Does your MBP have the battery that just pops out...or is it the technically "non-user replaceable" battery that you have to take the computer apart to get at it?

If it's the battery that just pops out...then the link (OWC) that "chscag" provided will do the trick.:)

If it's the type of battery that you have to take the computer apart to get at...then go to:

- Mac Repair

...for a replacement battery

And go to:

- iFixit: The free repair manual

...for the assembly/disassembly procedure.

- Nick

I'm not sure exactly. But I'm pretty sure I have to take the bottom off to access the battery.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure exactly. But I'm pretty sure I have to take the bottom off to access the battery.

It's not very difficult to figure out...it's like night & day. The battery either comes out VERY easily (without having to open up the computer)...or you cannot directly access the battery.

If you do not know the answer to this question at the "drop of a hat" (and your MacBook Pro has the "technically" non-user replaceable battery)...then there's probably no way you should be opening up your own computer to attempt the replacement.;)

This question is kind of like someone who has an Apple & an Orange in front of them...and someone asks you to pick up the Apple. If you don't know which fruit is the Apple immediately...then maybe you should be eating banana's!;);)

You've had this computer since 2009...you really should know if the battery is easily removable or not by now!;)

The answer to this question makes a BIG BIG difference on how you proceed.:)

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
It's not very difficult to figure out...it's like night & day. The battery either comes out VERY easily (without having to open up the computer)...or you cannot directly access the battery.

If you do not know the answer to this question at the "drop of a hat" (and your MacBook Pro has the "technically" non-user replaceable battery)...then there's probably no way you should be opening up your own computer to attempt the replacement.;)

This question is kind of like someone who has an Apple & an Orange in front of them...and someone asks you to pick up the Apple. If you don't know which fruit is the Apple immediately...then maybe you should be eating banana's!;);)

You've had this computer since 2009...you really should know if the battery is easily removable or not by now!;)

The answer to this question makes a BIG BIG difference on how you proceed.:)

- Nick
After doing some research and looking at the links everyone posted I know I have to take the bottom out. I just got confused about the removable battery and where it was located because I hadn't ever seen pictures. But after seeing pictures I know.

I looked at the ifixit page about replacing it and it seems fairly simple. Just removing the screws.

Is it really that much cheaper than the apple store to do it? Given, that they battery is going to cost me $100.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I looked at the ifixit page about replacing it and it seems fairly simple. Just removing the screws.

Replacing the MacBook Pro internal battery actually is a fairly easy process...but then again...it also depends on a person's confidence & experience doing such things.

You do need a special tri-blade screwdriver to remove the battery mounting screws.. They're not too expensive...but it's NOT a screwdriver most folks have.

Is it really that much cheaper than the apple store to do it? Given, that they battery is going to cost me $100.

Here's what I could find regarding battery replacement costs:

Apple - Support - Replacing the Battery in your MacBook (Models with built-in batteries)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I was going to pass on by, but had to put in my 2 cents worth.

Do yourself a favor and call your Apple Store and get a quote from them on replacing the battery. I'm with Nick on recommending repairs based on people's confidence and/or experience.
I am betting by the time you buy the battery and screwdriver set you won't be saving all that much. Why risk serious damage to a Mac that is still worth a lot more than the cost of a battery?

EDIT: Just looked at Nick's link and it looks like you potentially could save yourself around $20

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.