MacBook fully charged, power indicator is orange

Reaction score
What can it be?
My MacBook is 100% charged but the battery indicator is orange. Yesterday I used it for about 2 hours without the adapter and then charged to the max, I don't remember if it turned green or not. Then I turned it off and unplugged.
Now I plugged it back in, turned it on, it says the battery is fully charged, power source: power adapter, but the light is orange so it is really confusing.
I hope my battery is fine. Recently I also noticed that the green light was a bit "pale" or not working at all. Can it be the green light just dying out/problem with the indicator, not battery or the power adapter?
My MacBook is 7 months old, battery health at 94%.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What can it be?
My MacBook is 100% charged but the battery indicator is orange. Yesterday I used it for about 2 hours without the adapter and then charged to the max, I don't remember if it turned green or not. Then I turned it off and unplugged.
Now I plugged it back in, turned it on, it says the battery is fully charged, power source: power adapter, but the light is orange so it is really confusing.

I've noticed that sometimes the light stays amber for a little bit even though the battery gauge reads full. Eventually it will turn green.

I hope my battery is fine. Recently I also noticed that the green light was a bit "pale" or not working at all. Can it be the green light just dying out/problem with the indicator, not battery or the power adapter?
My MacBook is 7 months old, battery health at 94%.

It's probably fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
2 different replies, both at 11:03 PM ...quandary indeed.

The diplomat in me says that if it becomes an issue, take it in before your warranty runs out :p

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2 different replies, both at 11:03 PM ...quandary indeed.

The diplomat in me says that if it becomes an issue, take it in before your warranty runs out :p

The problem is that batteries are not an exact science, but we want them to be. We want them to work exactly as expected, every time without fail - and they can't do that by nature.

The SMC makes educated guesses about the status of the battery, and from time to time, it's wrong.

Now, if she said that she left it plugged in for 12 hours and the light never turned green, then I'd suspect a problem. But since she wasn't specific about how long the power was connected when she noticed the "problem", I wouldn't be so quick to send her on a wild goose chase with support.

OP
K
Reaction score
It's still amber, been plugged in and fully charged for about three hours now.
Thanks for your replies. I am currently far from the place where I bought my MacBook so my warranty won't work here.... Going there in two weeks so I guess I'll have it checked if I still have the issue.
It doesn't really affect the performance, seems rather "cosmetic" but still not exactly pleasant thing to have, huh.

OP
K
Reaction score
The problem is that batteries are not an exact science, but we want them to be. We want them to work exactly as expected, every time without fail - and they can't do that by nature.

The SMC makes educated guesses about the status of the battery, and from time to time, it's wrong.

Now, if she said that she left it plugged in for 12 hours and the light never turned green, then I'd suspect a problem. But since she wasn't specific about how long the power was connected when she noticed the "problem", I wouldn't be so quick to send her on a wild goose chase with support.

To me more clear: it wasn't actually plugged in for 12 hours. Last time it was fully charged was Thursday evening, then I plugged it out, yesterday I used it for about 3 hours (on battery), the battery dropped to about 75%. Then I got back and plugged it in, charged it fully, turned off and also had to plug it out. Today at noon (European time), again, I plug it in, turn on and about an hour later noticed the described issue. I am confused, it is not exactly the normal behavior.

ps plugged it out just to check: the battery seems fine, ready to work for 7 hours. So weird then :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I hear you and agree... it's just the "green light was a bit "pale" or not working at all" that I really focussed in on and thought it couldn't hurt to have it checked out.

SMC reset has never done anything for me other than making me feel like I covered all bases, but still, just like to advise others to cover all bases regardless :)

You know that I know that you know what I mean, and I know what you mean, and as long as the OP knows what we both mean, than we know that others know that we all know what we know! LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To me more clear: it wasn't actually plugged in for 12 hours. Last time it was fully charged was Thursday evening, then I plugged it out, yesterday I used it for about 3 hours (on battery), the battery dropped to about 75%. Then I got back and plugged it in, charged it fully, turned off and also had to plug it out. Today at noon (European time), again, I plug it in, turn on and about an hour later noticed the described issue. I am confused, it is not exactly the normal behavior.

ps plugged it out just to check: the battery seems fine, ready to work for 7 hours. So weird then :(

I thought my post was confusing, but this one is a little more.

-Fully charged.
-used on battery for 3hrs, and charge was 75%.
-charge it fully.
after this I am a bit lost!

Sorry, not meaning to be difficult, but I am not too sure as to what you mean.

Can you please put in point form a timeline with what exactly happened?

OP
K
Reaction score
Oh sorry, I guess I am too frustrated with this to make myself clear :)
Basically:
- Thursday evening: fully charged, turned it off, unplugged it.
- Friday afternoon: used on battery for 3 hours, charge was 75%.
- Friday evening: plugged in, charged to 100%, turned off then plugged out.
- Saturday noon: plugged it, turned on.
- Saturday afternoon i.e. now: fully charged, the indicator is amber.

Thanks for caring :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, give this a go.
I would unplug it.... lets say let it run down to around 90%
Then plug it back in, and it should go green straight away for a second, and then go back to amber until it is fully charged, where it should turn green again.
If this happens, all is good :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Was this problem ever resolved??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.