making an external monitor your primary monitor

Reaction score
I have somehow managed to get the top bar onto my external monitor and my main screens are there as well. Now i am really struggling getting the dock across.

Any help would be much appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you drag the external over the top of the internal and set it to mirror?

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
This is an option, however I have a 22" monitor and it wont let me use the full resolution (1920 x 1080) of my monitor when I do this, I have used the arrangements to sort most of it out not i'm just struggling to get the dock across.

Also is there anyway to use just my external monitor, in affect turning the laptop display off?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can use the external as your only monitor by attaching a USB keyboard and mouse to the machine. Close the lid on the computer and put the machine to sleep. Tap any key on the external keyboard and the external monitor will wake up but the internal will remain dark.

If you own a late model MacBook, it's capable of rendering a resolution of 2048 x 1536. I'm not sure I understand why you can't at least display at 1920 x 1080?

Regards.

Reaction score
you should be able to make either your primary monitor. I am not on my laptop ATM and cannot remember the EXACT steps but it should be close to system preferences > displays > arrangements > and then from there you will see a bar on the top of the "main" screen that you can simply drag to the "other" screen to change the primary monitor. HTH and works ;P !

appisgrt

Reaction score
you should be able to make either your primary monitor. I am not on my laptop ATM and cannot remember the EXACT steps but it should be close to system preferences > displays > arrangements > and then from there you will see a bar on the top of the "main" screen that you can simply drag to the "other" screen to change the primary monitor. HTH and works ;P !

appisgrt

Appleisgreat hit it right on the money. It's not all that intuitive on the display setup screen, but you'll notice one of the display icons has a small white bar across the top of it. You can drag that little bar to either display and get your dock where you want it and your primary display as well.
Thanks Appleisgreat.
BJD

Reaction score
thx appleisgreat, that wasn't as intuitive as tasks usually are in osx... working great now.

Cheers.

Reaction score
I still can't figure out how to move the dock

I tried turning the hide feature off so it would show up in the arrangement setting and that didn't work. Any help??:Confused:

Reaction score
making second monitor the primary display

The tip from appleisgreat worked first time. Couldn't find a way to do this myself, luckily Google brought me here.:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.