Please Help! Need Information.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am just starting high school and I would like to purchase a Black Macbook. Your probably wondering what the problem is then. Well my dad wants me to prove to him why I need one. Right now I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 and I want the MacBook to last me through High School and hopefully some of college. I understand that the Mac is not as good with games as Dell is but I will be using it most for work. Do you guys think you can help me to prove to my father that it is worth getting.

Thanks.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
First of all, since you dont really need it right now, i would wait to the supposed new versions come out in october.

Secondly, unless your parents are rich why are going to try them to get you a really expensive item you dont need. Before college sure, but before high school and you already have a computer, I think your dad is right.

Just my opinion. Sorry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
... why are going to try them to get you a really expensive item you dont need. Before college sure, but before high school and you already have a computer, I think your dad is right.

Just my opinion. Sorry
I would have to agree. There isn't a need.
If you really want one, then I am sure you could earn the money on your own by getting a job and working for it. Just don't expect someone else to buy it for you when your computing needs are clearly being met already.

Reaction score
Well I kinda see a reason to get it now. A new, fresh, good looking computer might keep you on task and focused - at least it would have for me (though maybe I'm just making up an excuse for those four years). When I saw my plain and banal desktop computer, I didn't see it as a tool for homework - just games and pr0n.

Tell your dad your Dell is running slow, it'll die in a year...show him this site or pdf
http://www.macvspc.info/
It started out as an objective analysis for a public school system...now its mac only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
First of all, since you dont really need it right now, i would wait to the supposed new versions come out in october.

Secondly, unless your parents are rich why are going to try them to get you a really expensive item you dont need. Before college sure, but before high school and you already have a computer, I think your dad is right.

Just my opinion. Sorry

SpecialAgent has a going point about incentive, however:

I'm going to have to agree with two of the posters above - wait until you actually need it. It's obvious that your Dell is good enough right now and, honestly (in my opinion), I don't think someone entering high school needs a new system when they already have a decent one. You'll probably need a new one before entering college or a year before that.

My advice would be to save up some money yourself to prove to your parents that this is something you're serious about, and maybe they can help you out with the rest of the money (if you don't make that much). But I don't think your parents should have to pay for something you don't need in a rush right now, whether they have money or not.

But that's just me. I'm still in university and live with my parents, but they make me pay for everything myself, except room and food ;)

Reaction score
I would have to agree. There isn't a need.
If you really want one, then I am sure you could earn the money on your own by getting a job and working for it. Just don't expect someone else to buy it for you when your computing needs are clearly being met already.

i so agree you i started high school last year and your are extremely lucky to have your own laptop at the moment i am getting a macbook soon, but im getting a paper round to pay for it on apple's customer financing. Not just spongue-ing off my parents.

Reaction score
Personally, I needed my iMac because my old computer was dying off, and I had to finish a composition for my finals. Now I am going to join college and will buy a Macbook, because my father says I need one, not me. He wants to ensure I come home on weekends and having a Macbook elimiates the excuse of "but there's no Mac at home".

You're sill young, and I wanted an Apple since I'm 16. I got it on my 18th birthday, and I really needed it then.

Personally, you should stay sensible. Is there a specific reason why a PC won't work for you?

For me, I could've bought any computer of 2000 bucks. Money wasn't the issue then. I chose the iMac because it had a screen and seemed best value. Little did I know that Mac OS was so cool... (well I did, but wasn't the main point).

OP
D
Reaction score
Well I am putting in $700 for it also. My parents are putting in the other half of it as presents for graduation and confirmation. I'm not rich but I do a lot of work around the house. More than any of my siblings have done. And my dad knows that I am a cheap person. So he is even having a hard time deciding because he knows that I would not put in as much money as I have if I really didn't want it.

The Dell that I have now used to be my sister's computer which got infected about 3 months ago and the harddrive crashed. Luckly we had an extra one laying around the house for them to put in for a cheap price. This computer is about 4 years old and is almost on it's way out.

I am into technology a lot and from what I have heard about the Mac is that it has many programs for certain things like photography and everything that the Dell does not have.

I am very independent as I have bought my own Quad and Xbox 360 by myself. Unfortunitly my quad got to small this past year so I had to sell it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.