Onyx won't work?

Reaction score
So I hadn't used onyx in awhile.

I tried to use it today and it wouldn't work.[I would use the automator and something popped up every time and didn't let it start] I deleted it and downloaded it again.

I try and load it but it bounces and then says onyx unexpectedly quit.

Why does it do that and how can I fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Helps enormously if you provide your machine and OS details.

However, assuming you are using an Intel machine, download Onyx Intel version 2.2.1 from here:-

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html

Drag .dmg file from the Download folder to the desktop, double click and install by dragging to the Applications folder.

When you start Onyx click continue for SMART status and other check up items, then go into Onyx and run from there.

OP
F
Reaction score
Helps enormously if you provide your machine and OS details.

However, assuming you are using an Intel machine, download Onyx Intel version 2.2.1 from here:-

Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - OnyX

Drag .dmg file from the Download folder to the desktop, double click and install by dragging to the Applications folder.

When you start Onyx click continue for SMART status and other check up items, then go into Onyx and run from there.
Thanks.

I tried that and it doesn't work. I'll double click onyx and then it'll bounce on the little bottom bar for like 2 seconds then disappear. After that it says "the application onyx quit unexpectedly"

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks.

I tried that and it doesn't work. I'll double click onyx and then it'll bounce on the little bottom bar for like 2 seconds then disappear. After that it says "the application onyx quit unexpectedly"

Like Harry asked you earlier...how about telling us your computers specs & what OS you're running.

It sounds to me that the version of Onyx you're trying to run is not compatible with your system or OS version.

- Nick

Reaction score
I'm having something of the same problem, on a late 2012 Mac Mini running Sierra10.12.5, 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8gb memory. I tried to run Onyx on it this morning and it said it would not run on this version of the OS, and I had to get the version of El Capitan. Okay, so go to Titanium Software's site, download the version for Sierra, and the dmg file will not open, at all. I tried downloading it again and again, and it will not open. No idea why. I've never seen this before with any .dmg file I ever downloaded. So I'm stuck with a version of OnyX I cannot use, and a .dmg file that will not open and install. Anyone know why this might be?

A little later on....:

I did a restart, and it would not come back up. The progress bar froze a bit before the end and just hung there, so I pulled the power cord out of the Mini, plugged it back in, and hit the button. This time it started right up, and the OnyX.dmg opened just fine and I installed it. One thing wrong though, in the Maintenance menu the Repair Permissions was not there! I have OnyX on my other Mac Mini, version 3.2.5, but this latest installation is version 3.2.7, which apparently they have taken Permissions repair out of, for some reason. I want that back! Why would they do that? Were can I get version 3.2.5 again? I can't find the .dmg on Mac Mini 2 to use on Mac Mini 1.

I went to a site that said it had 3.2.5, downloaded and installed it, but when it came up it was 3.2.7 again. Arrrrgggghhhh!

Still later.....

I finally got OnyX 3.2.5 back again after a number of sites saying they had it, and giving me 3.2.7 instead! Whew! I'm happy again, it's doing permissions right now.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Lilly

Welcome.

You are tagging on to a 7 year old thread, but nevertheless, I might mention one or two things for others reading and for you - although you seem to be sorted now:)

First off, as you discovered, OnyX is version-specific. All available versions are downloadable from the same sight.

For the last year or two, Apple's Gatekeeper and other security enhancements mean that you download the dmg file, double click on it and move the App to Applications. Either at this stage or when you attempt to open the app, you need to Right Click (on the dmg or App) and choose "Open". You got stuck at the dmg stage it seems. A Right Click and "Open" would solve this.

As regards Permissions, Apple has removed this from Disk Utility (DU) because it claims that repairing permissions is no longer necessary and OnyX has followed suit.

As long as you stick to the default settings in OnyX (Automation is the best all-rounder), you will find this an incredibly useful app, much respected in these Forums.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@rbird

You are correct, but I think that Lilly did this because she said:

Okay, so go to Titanium Software's site, download the version for Sierra, and the dmg file will not open,

Ian

M

MacInWin

@IWT, you said:
As regards Permissions, Apple has removed this from Disk Utility (DU) because it claims that repairing permissions is no longer necessary and OnyX has followed suit.
But that is not correct. Yes, Apple removed permissions from DU, but Onyx still has Permissions checking and repairing on the Maintenance page, under the second tab labelled Permissions. I just ran it on my Sierra system and it appears to work exactly as the old DU version did.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Jake

I greatly respect your opinions and comments; but I can't verify them on my version of OnyX.

This is the latest version for macOS Sierra:

S1.png

This is what I get when I open the Maintenance page:

S2.png Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 15.31.59.png

I can't fine "permissions" anywhere.

Sorry to be a nuisance.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again, Jake

I think, on exploring around a bit, that Repair Permissions was last on OnyX in version 3.2.5.

Lost on 3.2.6.

Latest version: 3.2.7

Ian

M

MacInWin

Ah, that explains it. I'm on 3.2.0, and given what you are saying, I'm NOT moving on until HS comes out and I am forced to move on. I like the permissions function, and every time I run it it finds permissions that are repaired. Nothing critical, and obviously nothing systemic, but it is (or was) there. But I'll stop saying it's there because for anyone moved beyond 3.2.5, it apparently isn't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.