Second Guessing my Camera Choice

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm posting this here rather than in the Photography Forum I belong to because: a) I don't want to spark a brand wars debate, and b) I am hoping for maybe a different perspective.
The issue is this:

A little over a year ago (after a lot of research and many trips to the local camera store) I bought my first DSLR, a Nikon D5000 w/ two kit lenses 18-55 vr and 55-200 vr, + 35 f 1.8. On the whole I have been very pleased with it with a few downers I will come to later.

My main wants in choosing a DSLR were
1) Articulating LCD -- this was major and lack was a deal breaker for me
2) good handling, ergonomics and controls
3) good IQ and selection of lenses
4) ISO -- wanted good low light capability (this was the major factor in my stepping up from P&S cameras)
5) decent video

At the time I made my selection, my wish list left me four choices. Sony (not fully articulating so I eventually dropped them), Nikon D5000 (my eventual choice), Oly E30 and E620, and Pana Lumix DMC G1 and GH1.

I really wanted to like the Panasonic models, with the Olys being my second choice but after much hands on I finally chose the D5000 despite its rather abysmal Live View AF (this was significant because the reason I wanted the articulating LCD was to use Live View).

Fast forward a year and now everyone has improved articulating LCD model DSLRs except Nikon. To add to that we are starting to see more mirrorless bodies coming out to complement and extend a DSLR kit. Honestly, if i were making the choice today that I had last year I would not pick the D5000. I still like it; it takes great pictures, and the handling is exceptional. Plus I can't say enough good things about the kit lenses.
But, I don't see Nikon moving toward the package I really want. If I did, I would sit tight and upgrade my body in a couple of years.

I am wondering now, if I wouldn't be better off cutting my losses by selling my gear and going Sony ALT55 or Canon 60D or 600D. This is an important question because I have a number of lenses I would like to buy (especially extended telephoto) but I don't want to invest more and then switch.
Thoughts anyone?

BTW: I apologize for any confusion someone reading this as an early posting may have gotten. I started on my iPad and then had to switch in mid post to my MBP. So the first half of this post was out there for about 15 minutes before i could finish it.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well there a few cameras out now Like Canons new T3i/600D, 60D. I think those are the only ones that have an articulating screen. Not sure what your stance is on Canon. I would try those out and see if you like it or not.

I have the 7D and I like it a lot, but still saving up for a 5D Mark II and a few L Primes. >_<"

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I can see from your post time that the window for me to complete was too long. I started my post on my iPad, saw something I needed to correct and did it but then I couldn't see the end of the post and no way to scroll down to it. So, that is why I switched to my MBP to complete and why a partial post was on here for several minutes.
If there is a way to scroll in the editing window on the iPad I don't know it. :)

BTW: I would definitely consider Canon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
May I ask why you are so adamant about having an articulating LCD ? Depending on the answer, I'll go on from there.

Doug

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
May I ask why you are so adamant about having an articulating LCD ? Depending on the answer, I'll go on from there.

Doug
I had a Canon A80 and A630 with the feature and really liked it. Then bought a Pana Lumix FZ28 which I really loved except for the lack of articulating LCD.

Bottomline: I can't always be behind the optical viewfinder (or sometimes even the camera) and still take the picture I want. I've gotten pretty good at framing by eyeball without the articulating LCD on my FZ28 but I still miss shots I would have gotten had I been able to see the shot from the camera perspective.

Reaction score
i'm assuming you're taking photos of yourself??

i shoot an older canon rebel XTI. with that being said, i'd like to upgrade to either a 60D or 7D someday soon. i, like others, don't get the articulating LCD thing. i honestly don't even care for live view as it's just another thing to drain the battery. from an image quality aspect, any of the big three DSLR companies will take great photos. the best being canon/nikon. from a lens standpoint, i'd go canon or nikon due to sheer market share. you can pick up ANY lens that you want, 2nd hand. they are also the TOP of the list when it comes to quality lenses. canon has its line of L glass, and then the Nikor line. when most people getting into photography are looking to get started, it's either canon or nikon.

there are people that shoot sony's alpha line, and whatever else is out there. i'm sure they make great stuff, but it's not for me.

if you could elaborate on the need for the LCD thing, maybe we can help you further or even make other helpful suggestions.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not trying to convince those who don't see the need for an articulating LCD that they need one. If you have ever tried it and liked it you won't want to be without it. If you haven't or didn't then it won't appeal.

But, to be more clear, there are shots you/I just can't frame properly without it. One case in point, was at a friend's daughter's wedding. We all stood for the processional; by holding my camera over my head and panning I was able to video a scene that I couldn't clearly see because of the crowd.
Now, I could have achieved the same thing without an articulating LCD by standing on the pew, but I don't think it would have been appreciated.

Honestly, the feature only comes in handy for a small percentage of situations. But, when you need it it's very nice to have. So, all else being equal I wouldn't invest in a system without that option.
That doesn't mean every camera body I own has to have it though, just that the capability is there if I want to use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
That's why I don't shoot weddings.

Reaction score
lol, i've done 2...never again. i've also never shot video, lol. i have a really nice tripod though, haha.

OP, i think you made the right decision. i think it matters less about how the LCD looks/works as long as it works. being that you've got a nikon, you have easy access to the abundance of lenses and used equipment on the market. IMO, the only other choice would be a canon that has the same feature. personally, i would not even consider a brand outside of those 2.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I really like my D5000, but to be honest LV AF stinks, which combined with the neat mirrorless body is what attracted me to Sony. But, I agree, because of lens selection and accessories (especially 3rd party) not keen to go for anything other than Nikon or Canon.
My first choice honestly would have been Canon because I have always liked their P&S cameras if they had had an articulating LCD when I bought mine.

That brings me to the other factor making me doubt my choice. I bought the D5000 over the D90 because of the LCD, and gave up a large portion of the Nikon lens family because the D5000 lacks an internal focus motor. At the time, it was a trade off I was willing to make.
Now, I'm looking at the D60 and thinking I could have both, and it is tempting me. I guess the things that are stopping me are 1) I will lose money on the deal (not a lot, but some), 2) I don't know anything about Canon lenses, but have a pretty good idea what I do and don't want from Nikon (or compatible), 3) Fear that the day after I do this Nikon will announce a mirrorless body with D7000 level performance and an articulating LCD, 4) The fact I really do like my D5000, and last but not least, 5) coming up with a good justification to the wife for the change (and additional cost). Not absolutely required, but will help keep peace around the house. :)

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should have been 60D, not D60.

Reaction score
i'd wait it out until you have your mind made up 100%. regret is not good, as you already know. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7
d700
enough said :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
If there is a way to scroll in the editing window on the iPad I don't know it. :)

BTW: I would definitely consider Canon.

Only way I know of is to press and hold with your finger to get the cursor, then drag it up or down. Not sure if that's what you're looking for...

We have a Canon (few yrs old) DSLR and love it. My brother and his wife have a Nikon (few yrs older) and they love theirs. I'm sure if the OP holds on another few months or a year, his brand will catch up. Or maybe just set a deadline and if they don't deliver what you're looking for, consider switching brands. *shrug*
AFAIK, those are the 2 most popular brands.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks MymacROX! I didn't know that cursor trick. Just tried it and it works.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just FYI since you mentioned it - scrolling to edit within the reply boxes on a long post from your iPad:

It's done by using the two finger scroll - inside the reply box.
I did it by holding one finger down and then using another finger to scroll for a long time also.
That's a pitr too.

I didn't figure it out. Don't remember who it was now, but someone else here pointed it out after I complained about the same thing - after I spent a couple of months disgruntled doing exactly the same thing - switching back to the MBP.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob,
Thanks for letting me know I wasn't the only one stuck this way. :)
It was really the only thing that made the MBP better for surfing the net. Now old silver will see even less use.
Mike

Reaction score
Nikon is sort of the Apple of DSLR cameras in some ways. A purer vision in focus. Nikon is kind of a camera and chip making equipment only company. Lots of scientists and engineers work there. Techies. Sony is a big consumer products company. Canon makes lots of other things like printers and fax machines and big copying machines. NASA takes Nikon into space all the time.

I started out using Canons due to the hype on dpreview. Shot thousands and thousands of images per month. Then I change over to Nikon as they are just layed out better for my purposes.

Canon is very marketing oriented. Their big company award day is on Pearl Harbor day BTW. They came out with white lenses and gave many to sports pros so they could be seen using Canons at a distance. Now there are tons more Nikons out there too.

I just found Nikon to be a more serious company for photography. And check out CaptureNX…it is easier to use than any other program for complicated image changes. Look at their tutorial videos. Things that would take many layers and steps in Photoshop you just do intuitively by clicking on the photo where it needs changes like zipping up a blue sky or something like that. And you can get event photography nailed with the same "look" from all of the cameras you use using CaptureNX. You can even get the same look out of ancient Nikon raw images (NEF) using NX, so that they match the latest equipment…and with no real effort.

Worrying about an articulating screen? In a few months of serious DSLR use you'll look back and laugh at the notion.

Reaction score
canon is way ahead of nikon in the pro world, FYI. and most of it is the L series of lenses. i don't know when you made the switch, but for a while they were back and fourth. canon has been on top as far as sports photog goes for the last few years. when you watch sports on TV, watch the sidelines closely, white lenses are everywhere. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.