Cracks in NEW Unibody white Macbook

Reaction score
New 2009 Mac Books cracking.

I too have the same cracking problems, purchasing two of the new white Mac Books late November 2009. Both are now showing hairline cracks on the lids running from the hinges. A friend with the same new model of Mac Book has also found similar hairline cracks. The Mac dealers, MCC of Chester on contacting Apple said that they knew nothing about this problem which seems questionable.

The dealers are now suggesting that I take the two Mac Books in so they can send them off to Apple for their technicians to look at them. I am reluctant to do this as both machines are in constant use and I don't want to take the risk of them being away for weeks. I have supplied them with clear photographic evidence of the cracks and cannot see why has to take an Apple technician to determine this.

As three new model (late Nov 2009) white plastic Mac Books are showing identical cracks in exactly the same hinge area of the lid, it would suggest that there is an inherent design fault. It would be interesting to know how many new Mac Books out there are suffering the same problems.

I got my new Unibody white macbook shortly after they were released, 2nd week of Nov. 2009. I have loved the unit and treated it very delicately, but last week i noticed 2 small hairline cracks in the plastic, right where the hinge is. I searched the net and found no one else who had this problem. I took it to the Apple store and they said "usually" they wouldn't cover this, that it would be called cosmetic damage, but after the genius looked it over, he realized that other than the cracks my unit was in pristine condition; so they said they would cover it under warranty and replace the screen and top casing.

I was just wondering if anyone else had experience a similar problem?

I know the older macbooks had a cracking problem but this is a newer unit, the current generation. And since they are so new, i figured maybe i am the first to encounter this. Every epidemic starts with one person...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Update... no luck on getting Apple to cover the labour cost :(
I spent as much time as I was willing to, arguing the matter with them, and for the $150 it cost me in labour, I think I will consider it done and dusted.
At least I got them to cover the cost of the part.
The good bit is that I have a late 2007 MB which is now in as new condition, so I may sell it and put the proceeds towards the 15" MBP that I want to get :)

Reaction score
Macbook crack near FN key

Hi there. I am writing to you from Italy where in July 2008 I baught a white 13" macbook. After a year the bottom case showed craks all over. a couple of months later a crack developed on the top case near the FN key. More recently the charger has stopped working. I have had more hardware problems with this laptop than I have had with 15 years worth of other computers put together.

I attach the photo of the top case crack. My question is if in the US Apple are changing the top cases, under an extended guarantee, which have the problem you see below? Also, I have never had a charger stop working on me. Are they changing the charger?
I ask these questions as in Europe they seem to be reluctant in doing so. they call the crack "accidental damage", which means that I broke it, and "cosmetic" which means that it is not important and therefore worthy of their attention.
I would appreciate some feed back. I will be going to Canada for a couple of weeks at the end of the month and was considering bringing the Macbook with me to see if the Apple centres take a differnt view on the matter.
thanks and ciao!!
dscn0444s.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Reaction score
macbook crack

UPDATE - I have just got back to Italy after my vacation in Canada. While in Toronto I took my Macbook to the Apple Store and without batting an eyelid, they changed the top case at no cost. They also gave me, FREE, an old never used charger that they had, as the new stile ones with new attachment, did not work on my laptop. Apple Italy and Apple Europe (Ireland) refused to do anything about the crack or the charger!!

I find it disgusting that in Italy and probably in the rest of Europe, we pay so much more for Apple products but receive less consideration when it comes to the after sales service. Being treated as 3rd class citizen is something that i do not accept!!!

I will not let this matter drop here! I don't see why the rest of the world should subsidise the lower prices of Apple products in N. America. Thank you Apple Toronto. No thank you what so ever to Apple in general!!!!

Hi there. I am writing to you from Italy where in July 2008 I baught a white 13" macbook. After a year the bottom case showed craks all over. a couple of months later a crack developed on the top case near the FN key. More recently the charger has stopped working. I have had more hardware problems with this laptop than I have had with 15 years worth of other computers put together.

I attach the photo of the top case crack. My question is if in the US Apple are changing the top cases, under an extended guarantee, which have the problem you see below? Also, I have never had a charger stop working on me. Are they changing the charger?
I ask these questions as in Europe they seem to be reluctant in doing so. they call the crack "accidental damage", which means that I broke it, and "cosmetic" which means that it is not important and therefore worthy of their attention.
I would appreciate some feed back. I will be going to Canada for a couple of weeks at the end of the month and was considering bringing the Macbook with me to see if the Apple centres take a differnt view on the matter.
thanks and ciao!!
dscn0444s.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Reaction score
Hmmm…I have a White Unibody MacBook (late 2009) and the only cosmetic damage are little tiny scratches.

Reaction score
the new Unibody Macbooks have been made with a different plastic and should not have the same problems of cracking as the old one that I have. The non- Unibody Macbooks crack all over.

Hmmm…I have a White Unibody MacBook (late 2009) and the only cosmetic damage are little tiny scratches.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
UPDATE - I have just got back to Italy after my vacation in Canada. While in Toronto I took my Macbook to the Apple Store and without batting an eyelid, they changed the top case at no cost. They also gave me, FREE, an old never used charger that they had, as the new stile ones with new attachment, did not work on my laptop. Apple Italy and Apple Europe (Ireland) refused to do anything about the crack or the charger!!

I find it disgusting that in Italy and probably in the rest of Europe, we pay so much more for Apple products but receive less consideration when it comes to the after sales service. Being treated as 3rd class citizen is something that i do not accept!!!

I will not let this matter drop here! I don't see why the rest of the world should subsidise the lower prices of Apple products in N. America. Thank you Apple Toronto. No thank you what so ever to Apple in general!!!!

I think that you're making some REALLY big leaps of logic...stating that the rest of the world is subsidizing low prices for Apple products in North America. You have absolutely no facts or data supporting this!!!

The facts are...you simply had a negative experience in Italy & Ireland...and a good experience in Canada. I can guarantee you if I go to multiple Apple Stores in the United States...there WILL be different levels of service I receive...just like if you go to two different McDonald's restaurants the quality of the service can be different.

Regarding the higher prices around the world. I do agree that folks around the world do pay more for Apple products...but don't blame everything on Apple or North America. You need to realize that other countries throughout the world have different economies, different import & export taxes, and various other fees. For example...other countries have higher tax rates, higher import fees, VAT in Great Britain & parts of Europe...etc., etc., etc.

Before you start complaining...how about doing your homework, stick to the facts, and consider that there are many cost related matters in different countries that Apple has no control over!

- Nick

Reaction score
WOW Nick!!!! Or is it Steve? Firstly, you have totally misunderstood the part of the message regarding the lower prices in the USA. I was not blaming anything at all on N. America. I suggest you read more carefully and try to be a little less paranoid!!!??? You are right though, I am apportioning a great deal of blame to Apple for the way in which they treat their clients in Europe and possibly elsewhere!! SIMPLY HAD A NEGATIVE EXPERIENCE???? Had I simply gone to one store and left it at that I would also put it down to “ a negative experience”. But I didn’t! I went to both the Apple service centres where I live and got the same answer. I then called the central offices of Apple Italy, who confirmed that it is not their policy to do anything about the crack on my laptop. I then wrote to and called the main office of Apple Europe (in Ireland) who also confirmed that nowhere in Europe would the crack on my laptop be repaired under extended guarantee. A NEGATIVE EXPERIENCE?????? Why don’t you come and live here for a little while and do your homework on how customer services of foreign multinationals in Italy work? Nothing like how they work in their home country! You’ll have fun!!

Speaking of doing “Homework”. Do you have any idea how much they have been charging for the old Macbook in Italy? Well let me tell you. In 2008 I paid EURO 1,300. At the time 1 Euro was worth +/- USD 1.55!! Need help with the maths? Ok, that comes to just over USD 2,000!!!! Exporting is my job so excuse me if don’t take any lessons from you about the costs of exporting goods. USD 2,000 does not reflect the cost of exporting the goods from the country of production (not USA) but reflects the greed of the exporting company. Oh, please forgive me. Just in case it wasn’t clear, this is my opinion!

1Euro/1.55$ means that goods purchased in USD are cheaper than they are when, for example, the exchange rate is where it is now at 1/1.27.What I do know and this is not just my opinion is that multinationals come to Italy to do the dirty work that they cannot get away with in their own country. Why should Apple be any different? You see in Italy, as I think in most countries in the EU, Class Action law suits do not exist, making it much harder for consumers to take action against large companies. The companies know this and take advantage of it!!!

Finally. In the EU (European Union!!), by law the guarantee has to be of TWO years. Do you think that Apple has acted accordingly extending their guarantee to TWO years???? Of course not!!! Corporate arrogance!! Sony and other multinationals increased their guarantee to two years and in some cases more. Apple will SELL you the extended guarantee!!!!!! As if their laptops aren’t expensive enough as it is!!

I wish any class actions against Apple in the US all the success they deserve!!!

Nick. Despite what you may think I have been a loyal user of Macs for over 15 years. This is why I feel so bitter about the way I have been treated by Apple in Europe!!!

I think that you're making some REALLY big leaps of logic...stating that the rest of the world is subsidizing low prices for Apple products in North America. You have absolutely no facts or data supporting this!!!

The facts are...you simply had a negative experience in Italy & Ireland...and a good experience in Canada. I can guarantee you if I go to multiple Apple Stores in the United States...there WILL be different levels of service I receive...just like if you go to two different McDonald's restaurants the quality of the service can be different.

Regarding the higher prices around the world. I do agree that folks around the world do pay more for Apple products...but don't blame everything on Apple or North America. You need to realize that other countries throughout the world have different economies, different import & export taxes, and various other fees. For example...other countries have higher tax rates, higher import fees, VAT in Great Britain & parts of Europe...etc., etc., etc.

Before you start complaining...how about doing your homework, stick to the facts, and consider that there are many cost related matters in different countries that Apple has no control over!

- Nick

Reaction score
Sorry forgot one little matter. If the costs in the EU are higher for Apple products because of the transport costs etc etc , please explain how it is possible that a number Italian products cost less in the US than they do in Italy!!!

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bri65 said:
I don't see why the rest of the world should subsidise the lower prices of Apple products in N. America. Thank you Apple Toronto. No thank you what so ever to Apple in general!!!!

As far as misunderstanding your earlier post...how can anyone read the quote above from your earlier message...and not get the idea that you're blaming North America for the higher prices for Apple products in the rest of the world!!! In your scenario North America is receiving the benefits of the higher prices around the world (subsidizing)...so of course you're blaming North America!:(

Sorry forgot one little matter. If the costs in the EU are higher for Apple products because of the transport costs etc etc , please explain how it is possible that a number Italian products cost less in the US than they do in Italy!!!

I actually never attributed higher costs to "transportation" costs...most Apple products are manufactured in China....so many countries that import Apple products have similar transportation costs (Europe, North America, etc.).

As far as the Italian products scenario...one answer is volume!:) If a company in the United States is willing to purchase 10 million units of an Italian companies product...that product can be sold for a lot less than the same product sold in Italy if a local distributer only purchases 1000 units.

Reaction score
by all means if you want to be a victim by thinking that I was American bashing go ahead and think it. I am glad to be of service to you. If i wanted to do so i would have had no problems in coming straight out with it.

I remember you saying something about doing homework!! Run along!!!

Anyway, I am sure you are right about everything! Why bother!
Take care little Steve.,

As far as misunderstanding your earlier post...how can anyone read the quote above from your earlier message...and not get the idea that you're blaming North America for the higher prices for Apple products in the rest of the world!!! In your scenario North America is receiving the benefits of the higher prices around the world (subsidizing)...so of course you're blaming North America!:(

I actually never attributed higher costs to "transportation" costs...most Apple products are manufactured in China....so many countries that import Apple products have similar transportation costs (Europe, North America, etc.).

As far as the Italian products scenario...one answer is volume!:) If a company in the United States is willing to purchase 10 million units of an Italian companies product...that product can be sold for a lot less than the same product sold in Italy if a local distributer only purchases 1000 units.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
For all the trouble that these cracking macbooks are bringing up, it bring the question of why not just for over a little bit more, or even less than it's cost, and buy an aluminum macbook/pro? I was never a fan of the white macbooks ability to scratch just by blowing on it, if I had a crack develop by itself, or by little stress caused by a design flaw that does not allow for such normal stress to be applied, I would leave my macbook at the apple store, call Discover, and tell them I was just sold a faulty product!

Reaction score
For what it's worth, let's leave economics out of the technicalities here.

For all we can understand, one person had bad luck in Europe with the Apple Stores there. Big deal. For all we know, someone rudely asked them about fixing a problem- and we should all know, rudeness doesn't get by in business- anywhere.

But that's just an assumption. As far as I can see based on the posts here, someone is frustrated, aggravated and arrogant. Let's leave it at that.

But, the MacBook is fixed- no?

Have a nice day.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For what it's worth, let's leave economics out of the technicalities here.

For all we can understand, one person had bad luck in Europe with the Apple Stores there. Big deal. For all we know, someone rudely asked them about fixing a problem- and we should all know, rudeness doesn't get by in business- anywhere.

But that's just an assumption. As far as I can see based on the posts here, someone is frustrated, aggravated and arrogant. Let's leave it at that.

But, the MacBook is fixed- no?

I do agree with your conclusions about this thread (looking back on the discussion from the "Monday Morning quarterback" point of view).;) But you have to realize that in "bri65's" 2nd post in this thread...is when the "economics" portion of the discussion began...so that's why it was an important discussion point.

Actually "bri65"...should have started their own thread...since they started the current discussion back on post #23 of a "semi-dead" thread.

Again I agree...the most important thing is that "bri65's" laptop got repaired!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
There is definitely with the new Macbook. It happened to my son's machine. When I contacted Apple support it was clear that they were aware of the issue. They sent me to an Apple authorised engineer who told me they were dealing with lots of them. They replaced top casing unit and less than two months later it is cracking again.
I think this is the worst product I have ever bought.

Reaction score
My MacBook is still cracking. The last time I took it in, it was cracked at both sides of the hinge. Also, the rubber on the bottom of the MacBook started to bulge from the heat. This was the fourth time taking my MacBook in for a repair, but because I have came in for these four repairs in under 11 months they replaced my whole machine. Two months after the replacement the hinges have cracked again. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
My MacBook is still cracking. The last time I took it in, it was cracked at both sides of the hinge. Also, the rubber on the bottom of the MacBook started to bulge from the heat. This was the fourth time taking my MacBook in for a repair, but because I have came in for these four repairs in under 11 months they replaced my whole machine. Two months after the replacement the hinges have cracked again. :(

For one, great that they gave you a new machine!
Next up, I would contact Apple customer relations regarding the cracks in the new machine (with a pleasant manner of coarse), explaining the history, and what is happening with the new machine.
If handled well, I think there is a possibility that they may inspect the machine, and perhaps agree to a free upgrade to a 13" macbook pro, or an upgrade at a minimal cost.
Not saying they will, but there is always a chance.

Reaction score
I don't know the number for the customers relations here in the UK, but i'll just speak to a genius sometime. He did say I must be an angry customer by now and another genius said they'll have to come up with a solution if it happens again. Its such a pity if these MacBooks are cracking. If there is a chance, I don't want to upgrade to a pro, I prefer the white finish of the MacBook. I'll make an appointment in two weeks, I'm using my computer non-stop for coursework.

Did the white iBooks ever crack? I miss the PowerPC machines, I found them better. Our iMac G3 is still working like a tank and not one crack. I would love that quality in my MacBook. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
I didnt know he white unibodys had such an issue. kinda glad i didnt get one then.

is the palm rest cracking an issue with the 13 white unibodys like past macbooks or was this fixed. if you look at the lid if there is 2 long bumps above the screen on the lid on the right and left hand side it likely isnt. this puts pressure on the palm rest and eventually will make it crack.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.