A few quirks (questions) about Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Hi,

Since installing Leopard on my new iMac 24 which came preloaded with Tiger (doing an A&I, I don't have a backup drive), I have had several glitches and a few questions:

Airport kicks me out of the LAN every so often and when I try re-accessing the network, sometimes a simple click on my default network works and other times I have to go into network diagnostics and input the default values which should have been fetched from my keychain. Also, at times it tells me that it can't connect to my router which sits about 10" away from the iMac.

I thought that maybe my Airport Extreme Base Station might have been faulty but i have an older iMac 17 (Tiger) on the network and it never loses it's connection.

Also, before buying the new iMac, I had a wireless network setup with co-workers (using Macs and PC's) to work on a web development project and these people created 3 or 4 network setups that still show when I click on my Airport icon, how do I get rid of those? They don't show in the network setup list. When I first got the new iMac, I did a "migration" of all data that was on my older Mac and it probably imported all of this garbage.

As far as connecting to the internet using Airport, I'll hard wire my iMac to the router (Ethernet) and that should take the aggravation of being kicked off the internet every so often but I sure wish there would be a fix for this.

Does Leopard have the same sub routines to run the daily, weekly and monthly maintenance scripts? Being that I shut my computer off at night, I used to run MacJanitor, does this application run on Leopard?

What do I use to repair disk permissions under Leopard?

And last, I noticed some quirkiness with Camino under Leopard (especially with Bookmarks), would the "new and improved" Safari be a better browser?

Sorry for all of the above questions but I'm somewhat frustrated with Leopard and wonder if switching back to Tiger would be a better option.

Thanks,
Gene

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Also, when I tried deleting the "Previous System" folder from my A&I install, I get the following message:

The operation cannot be completed because the item "Airport Disk Agent" is in use...

Gene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
First of all did you update to 10.5.1? Cause that fixes a lot of bugs especially with Airport.

- Repair disk permissions is the same, Disk Utility

- I've always used Safari. Try it out. Also try out the web clips feature and you might not need a browser again!

Also, when I tried deleting the "Previous System" folder from my A&I install, I get the following message:

The operation cannot be completed because the item "Airport Disk Agent" is in use...
That may have something to do with your airport acting flaky. Open Activity Monitor, in the "Type" option select All processes. Now see if you can find something that relates to Airport Disk Agent. Could even be ADGsomething.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not sure about Mac Janitor but MainMenu works fine in leopard. The new Beta of Onyx also claims to work. All do the same thing like run the maintenance scripts, repair permissions ETC.

goobimama answered most of your other questions.

So far I have had no issues with Camino under Leopard but use Safari most of the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
Leopard has made my MBP noisy

Oops, thought I was posting a new thread. Please ignore.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First of all did you update to 10.5.1? Cause that fixes a lot of bugs especially with Airport.

Yes, everything is updated.

- Repair disk permissions is the same, Disk Utility

Thanks

- I've always used Safari. Try it out. Also try out the web clips feature and you might not need a browser again!

Great, I'll give it another try, used it when I got my first iMac but Camino had more features, that's why I switched to it.

That may have something to do with your airport acting flaky. Open Activity Monitor, in the "Type" option select All processes. Now see if you can find something that relates to Airport Disk Agent. Could even be ADGsomething.

Being that Airport Disk Agent is in my startup items list, could this be the source of the problem?

Gene

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure about Mac Janitor but MainMenu works fine in leopard. The new Beta of Onyx also claims to work. All do the same thing like run the maintenance scripts, repair permissions ETC.

goobimama answered most of your other questions.

So far I have had no issues with Camino under Leopard but use Safari most of the time.

Great, I'll download Mainmenu then.

Thanks,
Gene

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW, being that my Airport Extreme Base Station is right next to my iMac, can I hardwire my computer to the router for internet access and still keep Airport for sharing files and printer with my other iMac?

How would I set that up? I don't want Airport to connect to the internet if I'm hardwired via Ethernet.

Gene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
OS X is very intelligent and realises that Ethernet is faster than Airport. It automatically switches to Ethernet if there is ethernet access for that particular feature. But why would you want to share your printer/files to the other mac only via Airport? Once you are hardwired, there is no problems with sharing printers and files.

Check out this link to see what I'm talking about: http://mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=85970

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X is very intelligent and realises that Ethernet is faster than Airport. It automatically switches to Ethernet if there is ethernet access for that particular feature. But why would you want to share your printer/files to the other mac only via Airport? Once you are hardwired, there is no problems with sharing printers and files.

Check out this link to see what I'm talking about: http://mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=85970

So, if I understand correctly, hardwiring my iMac to the router will be a painless experience and I'll be able to share my printer and files with the other iMac which is using Airport to connect to the Net and communicating with my main machine's Airport for printer and files sharing? Meaning that I may disable Airport on my machine and the sharing will be done via the router?

Sorry, not too good when it gets to networking...

Gene

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, if you are hard wired, Airport may be disabled.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, if you are hard wired, Airport may be disabled.

Thanks! Didn't know that I could actually have one hardwired (no Airport, Ethernet only) and the other on Airport and still share files and printer. Great stuff...

Lesson learned!

Thanks again,
Gene
:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.