About to cry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20", 2.4ghz iMac/4 gigs of ram + a 2.1ghz MacBook/160gb 7200 rpm Seagate HD/1 gig of ram
In the last week I bought two wireless routers. A Linksys that could nor provide signal 5 feet away and a D-link that is a lot better but still not my... preference.

With the D-link it is set up, I have gone through many different settings but still can not get connection over 40%, 2 stories below me. I'm trying to use my PS3 there but its connection is trash.

I'm wondering, would a Airport base station solve this?

Thanks for your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The strength of wireless signals is a difficult one. There are so many factors that can influence them.

40% signal 2 storeys away doesn't seem unreasonable to me but you could try switching channels or buying an external antenna. Maybe experiment with another location in the room and the orientation of the antenna.

Can't really comment on the Airport base station but I can't imagine it will be that much of an improvement over the routers you've already tried. Others with 'hands-on' airport experience may be able to advise differently.

However, if you location isn't particularly wi-fi friendly you could try Network-over-power adapters. I use these for a wi-fi blackspot in my house and they have always proved to be very reliable.

HTH
mrplow

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
All articles/reviews I have read about setting up routers in multi-story dwellings recommend putting the router on the top floor for best reception and signal strength throughout the house. Your issue is typical when setting it up on the bottom floor.

mrplow makes some good suggestions.

Reaction score
In the last week I bought two wireless routers. A Linksys that could nor provide signal 5 feet away and a D-link that is a lot better but still not my... preference.

With the D-link it is set up, I have gone through many different settings but still can not get connection over 40%, 2 stories below me. I'm trying to use my PS3 there but its connection is trash.

I'm wondering, would a Airport base station solve this?

Thanks for your time.

I had problems with signal range in my house and I solved the problems by adding two range extenders. I use the Belkin range extender. I have switched to a Belkin router as well to simplify the setup of WEP encryption. They work great. I have a very strong signal everywhere in my house, including the basement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.