Spilled coffee on Macbook white unibody trackpad and keyboard

Reaction score
Hello, i know that there has been a lot of threads with this title, but still...

Yesterday my girlfriend spilled coffee on her Macbook white Unibody. Some on keyboard and some on trackpad.

I took out the battery, rams and hdd, i didnt take out the rest of components. The thing is that there was liquid around the battery and HDD (probably leaked through a trackpad), but the logic board from this point of view was completely dry.

Now here is what i want to know, do i have to take out the motherboard and take a look at it from the bottom side, or i can let it completely dry and just try if it works? Maybe there is no coffee on the logic board at all, atleast that is what i am hoping, do those unibody mac keyboards leak really easily or i can count on some coffie to stay in the area around and behind the keyboard buttons?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi, thanks. I decided to take out the logic board aswell and there was no coffie on it, and the computer starts, but this is the problem now: As soon as i start macbook, the fan starts to spin at full speed or atleast it is really really loud, and the keyboard doesnt work at all. Could that fan speed be somehow related to keyboard or maybe i connected the keyboard cable wrong or not deep enough? Also i have to mention that i disconnected the trackpad cable.

I need help please, thank you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Unfortunately, with a liquid spill, it's a total crapshoot. It could have gotten anywhere and may have even dried and not be evident on the logic board. I don't believe the keyboard plays into the fans at all as they're controlled by the SMC on the logic board. Your best bet, if you're determined to repair it, is to send the logic board off for component level repair.

iMac, Macbook Pro and Macbook Logic Board Repair

OP
K
Reaction score
Hmm, what about an ambient sensor or something, is there such thing on this mac?
Maybe a SMC reset could fix this? i will try this tomorrow as soon as i get to her. Thanks

OP
K
Reaction score
I just connected a trackpad back to see if that fan problem goes away and IT DID. Not only that, even trackpad is fully working. Also i pushed keyboard connector a bit more inside, and keyboard works too.

As it seems computer is fully working now, only keyboard need a bit of cleaning now.

win win win

Thanks everyone.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As it seems computer is fully working now, only keyboard need a bit of cleaning now.

Congratulations...you're one of the few VERY lucky owners to have successfully recovered from a liquid spill.:)

The BIG question is...how long will it be before you start drinking coffee near your MacBook again???;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Or... how long before the coffee residue on the logic board that's dried begins to short out traces due to corrosion? Keep your fingers crossed....

OP
K
Reaction score
Yep, hope she wont go near her laptop with coffee again :)

Amm chscag: There arent any residues as i removed a logic board yesterday, and it was clean, only a tiny bit on a side which i cleaned perfectly.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yep, hope she wont go near her laptop with coffee again :)

Ahh...I forgot that "little" detail that there was another person involved...and that this computer was not yours.;)

Well hopefully (girlfriend) will not drink liquids near her MacBook any more!:) I have to remind my wife of this all the time!;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There arent any residues as i removed a logic board yesterday, and it was clean, only a tiny bit on a side which i cleaned perfectly.

Good move. Most folks don't bother doing that. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.