Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
To get the app store, I have to have snow leopard. What exactly is this? What will this do to my macbook if I download it? Or can I even download it? It currently shows Mac OS X Version 10.5.8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
You have Leopard (10.5.x), Snow Leopard is Mac OS 10.6.x and is a major system upgrade.
You can upgrade it if you want to by buying the 29$ upgrade disks from Apple or Amazon
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

Here are all the new features compared to leopard.
Apple - Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Refining the user experience

If you choose to update, make sure you have a backup of your system on an external HD.
Then install Snow Leopard and after that run Software Update under the Apple menu, it will have an update listed that will install the App Store.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You have Mac OS 10.5.8 installed on your MacBook...Snow Leopard is Mac OS 10.6 (the newest version of the Mac OS).

Snow Leopard is NOT a downloadable application...you must buy it from the Apple Store online, other online stores, or go to your nearest Apple Store to buy it.

If you want/need to use the "App. Store"...and you need Snow Leopard (OS 10.6)...then you need to purchase & install Snow Leopard first.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Doubt I'll mess with it. If I find an app on apple's website, will I have any trouble downloading it, or will I need snow leopard to even do that?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info. Doubt I'll mess with it. If I find an app on apple's website, will I have any trouble downloading it, or will I need snow leopard to even do that?

Your initial post said that you NEEDED Snow Leopard to use the App. Store (I'm trusting that this is true...since you wrote it). I'm not sure how you determined this...or if it's actually true or not.

If you're not sure...and if you could explain the details of what you're trying to do...we may be able to answer things more definitively.

Just trying to help,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
The App Store is included in the Mac OS 10.6.6 update, and as far as I could find out there isn't another way to get it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your initial post said that you NEEDED Snow Leopard to use the App. Store (I'm trusting that this is true...since you wrote it). I'm not sure how you determined this...or if it's actually true or not.

If you're not sure...and if you could explain the details of what you're trying to do...we may be able to answer things more definitively.

Just trying to help,:)

- Nick

I understand. I don't have snow leopard. I didn't know if it was just something that I download or such. Now that I know that there is a little more involved, I don't need the app store that bad. I've gotten by just fine, so don't know how many, or even what apps I'd be interested in.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand. I don't have snow leopard. I didn't know if it was just something that I download or such. Now that I know that there is a little more involved, I don't need the app store that bad. I've gotten by just fine, so don't know how many, or even what apps I'd be interested in.

Like "McYukon" mentioned...the "App. Store" is included with Mac OS update 10.6.6. The Snow Leopard install disk is $29 dollars (very reasonable since previous Mac OS updates as significant as this cost upwards of $129).

Doing the Snow Leopard upgrade is not really very difficult at all. You first backup any important files...then you restart your computer (booting from the Snow Leopard disk)...then follow the onscreen instructions.

But if you've decided that Snow Leopard is not for you at the moment...that's good as well. It will be there when you need it.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's really helpful McYukon. Looks like everyone can access the Mac app store. I wondered if Apple was limiting it to only those who had 10.6.6 as it didn't make sense to exclude those folks who were still running Leopard or earlier versions of OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You have Leopard (10.5.x), Snow Leopard is Mac OS 10.6.x and is a major system upgrade.
Well, that's debatable. ;)

The Snow Leopard install disk is $29 dollars (very reasonable since previous Mac OS updates as significant as this cost upwards of $129).
There's my evidence. I rest my case. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agree totally, so lets say "Snow Leopard is Mac OS 10.6.x and is a more refined version of Leopard" :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agree totally, so lets say "Snow Leopard is Mac OS 10.6.x and is a more refined version of Leopard" :D

Yeah...sometimes you have to wonder (with 10.6 only costing $29 bucks)...if 10.6.0 was simply 10.5.8 with the PPC code removed.;)

Of course now that we're on Snow Leopard version 10.6.6...hopefully some useful "stuff" has been added since 10.5.8.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.