What to do with my iMac

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an older iMac G5, which I bought in 2007 and I'm looking to hear some input as to what I could do with it. This is the model: http://img.engadget.com/common/images/3060000000048959.JPG?0.2844059818361253

It's an older model, so it's not compatible with the newer operating systems such as Snow Leopard. I've thought about selling it for parts, but I'd rather keep it and turn it into something more useful then what it is now. I've been thinking about using it as a media server with my LCD TV, stereo system and Airport Express, but I'd like to hear what I could do to get the most out of it. I can post the specs if needed.

Thanks,
Pat

OP
P
Reaction score
haha I've got the fireplace screen saver, but I'm looking to use it for something more practical.

ogg

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an older iMac G5, which I bought in 2007 and I'm looking to hear some input as to what I could do with it. ... I've been thinking about using it as a media server with my LCD TV, stereo system and Airport Express, but I'd like to hear what I could do to get the most out of it. I can post the specs if needed.

Sounds to me that you found a great role for it as a media server.

In a lessor role it would make a wonderful digital picture frame. Perhaps you can find a retailer who could use it as an inexpensive digital picture frame for advertisements, store announcements, etc. The wifi aspect of it would be good selling point. I'm working on such a project myself, albiet I'm using a PPC iMac G3.

OP
P
Reaction score
Sounds to me that you found a great role for it as a media server.

In a lessor role it would make a wonderful digital picture frame. Perhaps you can find a retailer who could use it as an inexpensive digital picture frame for advertisements, store announcements, etc. The wifi aspect of it would be good selling point. I'm working on such a project myself, albiet I'm using a PPC iMac G3.

Yeah, I find it quite useful as a media server. I just wish I could figure out how to run the new operating system on, so that way I can run the VLC player on it and other software. This computer isn't too future friendly in the sense that I'd have to figure how to make it compatible with the new OS. Would you happen to have any ideas on how to do that?

Also, I like the idea of using it at a picture frame, I certainly have enough photos to display. IF the media server idea starts to fail, my Dad could use it at the banquet facility he owns for pictures.

Thanks for responding

ogg

Reaction score
Yeah, I find it quite useful as a media server. I just wish I could figure out how to run the new operating system on.. Would you happen to have any ideas on how to do that?

Sorry.. I would have no idea how to do that. I wonder if there's a possibility to run it under Ubuntu. Ubuntu might facilitate the use of VLC that you require. I tested my iMac G3 under Ubuntu 5.04 and it worked really well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.