iMac Internet problems, please help... (Airport)

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I purchased the 2011 27" iMac because my 15" 2009 Mac book was driving me crazy, so the specs of the iMac are 2gb radeon i7 quad, and the rest is the generic.

I used to have my laptop on my desk on the 2nd floor and then i got it replaced with the iMac but something was wrong with the internet connection. (and yes i have full bars from my airport)

Its very wierd for the internet is working however my download rate isn't stable... in istats for example the download rate is 300kb/s and my skype connection is fine and then all of a sudden skype loses its connection and i have like 3.2 kb/s and tehn it goes back up again. :Confused:

Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Reboot your Airport router and your cable modem. If that doesn't fix it, then turn off the wireless and connect directly with a wire to your cable modem (skip the Airport station completely). If the problems persist, the problem is more likely your ISP.

OP
V
Reaction score
I dont have a cable of such lenght at hand and also my wife would kill me, how could i fix the ISP?

OP
V
Reaction score
great :p now i accidentally deleted my "network" in system preferences... please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont have a cable of such lenght at hand and also my wife would kill me, how could i fix the ISP?

Can you move the computer then? This is much of what it takes to troubleshoot these things, despite the inconvenience.

Say… are you using your iMac in the same location as you used the MacBook? Or have you moved the Airport?

ISP=Internet Service Provider. The people you pay the bill to. It may be a problem with them, or perhaps even the wiring in your house.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
great :p now i accidentally deleted my "network" in system preferences... please help

Hit the + sign and re-add it.

OP
V
Reaction score
yes it's in the exact same spot... is there any program that could possibly monitor network activity thus showing any huge drops in the download rate?

Now the picture included shows whats happening. Previously i tried removing network preferences from the library because i saw it in some forum, so then i put in the trash can but since i was worried i put it back so now i have no network preferences and that message shows up when i try to open it manually... :(

System Preferences.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes it's in the exact same spot... is there any program that could possibly monitor network activity thus showing any huge drops in the download rate?

Now the picture included shows whats happening. Previously i tried removing network preferences from the library because i saw it in some forum, so then i put in the trash can but since i was worried i put it back so now i have no network preferences and that message shows up when i try to open it manually... :(

Whatever you read before about removing network preferences was for the .plist file, located somewhere else completely. NOT the preference pane. And that pane you did delete is located in the System Library. Never ever ever ever EVER mess with ANYTHING in /System. Ever!

At the moment, I can only recommend repairing permissions. You can do that with Onyx if you have it, or Disk Utility. If that works, *whew* If not, you may need to manually fix the permissions, but we'll tackle that later if need be.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help at this! I tried to repair permissions on the drive still the same so whats next ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks so much for your help at this! I tried to repair permissions on the drive still the same so whats next ?

I was just about to add one other comment… have you rebooted since restoring the pane from the Trash? If not, do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have already rebooted like 3 times

Right-click on Network.prefPane and select Get Info. At the bottom, under Sharing & Permissions, it should look exactly like my screen cap. If not, post a screen cap of yours. Or if you feel up to it, click the lock, enter your password, then correct it so it's exactly the same. Reboot once done.

Get Info.jpg

OP
V
Reaction score
They look the same as far as permission but the preference icon is missing the network symbol, and im running 10.6.7

Finder.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. Download BatChmod. Run that, drop Network.prefPane on it, and see if it matches the screenshot below. If not, make it match it. You may have to unlock it there in the app, or even try the Clear ACL option, then re-Apply the ownership settings.

If that fails, then you may be facing a reinstallation. Before going that far, try downloading the 10.6.7 update combo and apply that. If that doesn't fix it, then I'm tapped out for ideas.

BatChmod.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.