you tube etc ,poor view,jerky

Reaction score
i'm getting that my g4 quick silver is obsolete,but i am content to be passed by don't do games,etc,but the machine was relevant up to a few years ago,how did users see video?you tube has been around awhile it must have worked .i have nvidia geforce zmy 32 m vram.what ever that means, all i want is web browsing,email and susan boyle once in awhile with her lips in sync with the sound!i'm into 200 bucks now and everybody told me my modest criteria was obtainable what gives ! thanks dave don g4 power mac tower 733 mhz 768 ram .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its the video card, its just not up to the task of heavy video work

OP
S
Reaction score
video card which one?

the radeon 9800 or such was recomended it's about 100 bucks theres a bunch of 7000 series out there cheap will a card thats available [cheap] do you tube etc but sacrifice games or what not that i won't notice?just need to see video from email etc.you tube,and keep investment low.i still need a dvd burner to add then i'll be ok.i also put cart before horse and bought a 867 mhz cpu before i found out video needed work from my searches it seems any video card addition is futile!whats the cheesy truth any one have a g4 that still function out there? thanks;P

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i'm getting that my g4 quick silver is obsolete,but i am content to be passed by don't do games,etc,but the machine was relevant up to a few years ago,how did users see video?you tube has been around awhile it must have worked .i have nvidia geforce zmy 32 m vram.what ever that means, all i want is web browsing,email and susan boyle once in awhile with her lips in sync with the sound!i'm into 200 bucks now and everybody told me my modest criteria was obtainable what gives ! thanks dave don g4 power mac tower 733 mhz 768 ram .

It's your computer...a combination of the processor speed & the video card.

I have some older Mac's...and You-Tube videos play slow, jerky, choppy, and the audio may be a bit garbled on them just like yours.

Personally...I actually use You-Tube as a impromptu "quick & dirty" internet performance test. If the Mac can play You-Tube videos well...then I figure there's not much on the internet that it can't handle.

Even though your computer may have been able to play You-Tube videos well 2-3 years ago...the internet browser software, internet "plug-ins" you need to use, and maybe even the quality of the videos themselves...all work together to over-work older computer hardware...thus reducing quality.

Besides...if internet surfing & application software (games in particular)...didn't get more complex & hardware "hungry"...the computer companies would go broke..and all of us would have thousands of more money in the bank!!!;D

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Having the same problem with a 1.25GHz eMac... web app writers are making their programs too heavy and it's eating up all the available RAM. It's ridiculous. A TV can stream video, why can't a computer with an actual dedicated graphics card, no matter how old... it's not like these videos are HD.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
could adding ram now at 768 to max make a big enough dif:\ erance?

To be honest I doubt it.

The processor & graphics card are the "engines" of the computer (how fast can I do things).

The ram is kind of like "how big is my brain" or how much or how many things can I hold in my brain at the same time.

So adding ram probably won't increase performance very much...or not enough to turn bad video playback into mediocre or good playback.

768 meg of ram isn't a lot by today's standards...but I have a MacBook with only 1 gig of ram...and it does everything great!!! (but that's because it has a faster processor & better graphics than a 733mhz G4 computer). So increasing your ram to 1.5 gigs (the max for this computer)...probably won't improve things much.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
YouTube leverages Flash which is CPU intensive. As noted earlier, adding RAM and a new GPU aren't going to help much when the real bottleneck is your CPU.

YouTube worked fine when it was released with then-current hardware but things change. It would be unreasonable to assume that evolution of web software doesn't involve an increase in the necessary requirements.

OP
S
Reaction score
ive got an 867 mhz cpu

i have an 867 mhz to install anyone with a g4 getting satisfactory video?currant is 733mhz.:Confused:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have an 867 mhz to install anyone with a g4 getting satisfactory video?currant is 733mhz.:Confused:

If you notice a few posts earlier in this thread...someone mentioned having the same video playback troubles as you...and they have a 1.25ghz Macintosh.

So for you going from a 733mhz to an 867mhz processor is probably not going to be much of an improvement.

I think that until you get a much faster computer with better video abilities...you're going to need to stay away from You-Tube! ;D

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Around 2 years ago I was doing some experimenting on a G4 500Mhz Sawtooth. With the stock 16 Meg ATI card You Tube at the time was jerky and skipping. I went to a ATI Radeon (Mac Edition) and the videos at that time were smooth as long as nothing else was running. So it was obvious the video card did make a big difference. Same on a stock Digital Audio 667 Mhz. Newer video card really improved things.

But fast forward to today. The videos on You Tube have been converted and are more demanding plus as has been said already earlier in this thread, the software like Flash and Quicktime is getting more demanding on the older hardware. Even on my iMac G5 2.1Ghz iSight I notice although it's still very smooth, some videos out of sync that are not on say my 2.16Ghz C2D Mini.

I would not waste a lot of $$$ on that older machine, but a better video card could help quite a bit, but don't expect perfection. Things are getting more demanding all the time.

Another thing I have noticed on the G5 is some videos from You Tube I capture with Safari are out of sync after the download but not when viewing them on You Tube. I tried Firefox instead with a plug in and the Sync issues are not there.

Sometimes progress hurts us with older hardware.

BTW, My Digital Audio is quite smooth viewing You Tube Videos, but it has a Radeon 9800 Pro and 1.8Ghz G4 so both are WAY faster than any stock G4.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW, My Digital Audio is quite smooth viewing You Tube Videos, but it has a Radeon 9800 Pro and 1.8Ghz G4 so both are WAY faster than any stock G4.

That is one seriously upgraded G4!!! Both upgrades are pretty darn expensive. That 1.8ghz CPU upgrade still sells for $349....the 9800 Pro video card sells for around $90 on e-Bay...but was much more expensive a couple years ago.

Sounds like a real nice setup for a G4.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I actually got the G4 1.8 quite cheap for what was at the time. It was maybe 3 years ago now when Giga Design was in business. It was used but guaranteed to work. I think I got it for $250 or so. The ATI though at that time was $150 or more. I did it just to upgrade a Mac as a project as I was/still am so into upgrading PC hardware I wanted to try to max out a Mac and that Digital Audio was a good system to upgrade. I have the RAM maxed out also at 1.5GB and a USB 2.0 card. It's not a bad system at all even with Leopard.

The original Power Supply was maybe 225 Watts and after 2.5 years using it pretty hard even doing folding for months in a row, finally died one day. I took a 350 Watt Sparkle and re-wired it for the Digital Audio and made a Voltage Tripler supply for the 28 Volts DC for the SB voltage that the DA uses. Works great.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually got the G4 1.8 quite cheap for what was at the time. It was maybe 3 years ago now when Giga Design was in business. It was used but guaranteed to work. I think I got it for $250 or so. The ATI though at that time was $150 or more. I did it just to upgrade a Mac as a project as I was/still am so into upgrading PC hardware I wanted to try to max out a Mac and that Digital Audio was a good system to upgrade. I have the RAM maxed out also at 1.5GB and a USB 2.0 card. It's not a bad system at all even with Leopard.

The original Power Supply was maybe 225 Watts and after 2.5 years using it pretty hard even doing folding for months in a row, finally died one day. I took a 350 Watt Sparkle and re-wired it for the Digital Audio and made a Voltage Tripler supply for the 28 Volts DC for the SB voltage that the DA uses. Works great.

Yeah..I bet that system runs well with Leopard...it's certainly well above the 867mhz minimum CPU speed. $250 for that processor upgrade 2-3 years ago was DEFINITELY a nice price (even used)....especially since they still cost $349 new at OWC.

Sounds like a nice custom job on that power supply as well. Did you have any problems mounting the power supply inside the Mac case? The shape of those non-Apple power supplies & the non-standard shape of Mac desktop cases sometimes limits what you can do when it comes to customizing.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like a nice custom job on that power supply as well. Did you have any problems mounting the power supply inside the Mac case? The shape of those non-Apple power supplies & the non-standard shape of Mac desktop cases sometimes limits what you can do when it comes to customizing.

- Nick

The case on the original Apple supply was the same as the PC one in this case. Only thing that got in the way and I removed it was the Power Switch on the back of the PC supply. Not needed in the Mac anyway. Otherwise after I did all the wiring, it dropped right in and the original torx screws in the back all lined up! I was impressed!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.