13" MBP upgrade to 1TB HD issues

Reaction score
Hi everyone! New member here, I own Late 2009 13" Macbook Pro 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM, the stock drive was 160GB and I read before and saw others were able to install the Western Digital Scorpio Blue 1 TB into their MBPs. So I bought one and installed it, it fit perfectly! I set up the drive as new and moved all my files over. As I got settled in, I realized the drive made a vibration and random clicking. I ordered this drive from newegg and asked for a replacement. The replacement drive arrives, i install it and still the SAME issues! I don't know what is going on because I set this drive up EXACTLY as my stock drive and that had no issues. Am I installing and setting it up wrong?? Here are the steps I took to installing and setting up:

1. Insert Mac OS X CD in MBP and turn off laptop.
2. Wait for MBP to cool down then open back of MBP and discharge myself by touching CD tray metal area.
3. Remove the bar where the HD is and take the SATA connector off of faulty 1 TB.
4. remove mounting screws and place on new drive.
5. install back into HD bay and screw everything back in.
6. turn MBP over and turn it on when the chime sounds, I press C until the OS X screen appears.
7. Go into Disc Utility and select partition
8. choose GUID and 1 Partition, name it "Mac HD"
9. after partition is done, exit DU and then install OS X.
10. OS X finishes installing and I update the software.
11. After software update, I install all my apps that worked FINE on my stock drive.
12. vibrate and clickin'

Thanks to all who read this!

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you're having issues. I just did this upgrade to my 2010 macbook pro 13". The process was so easy, I had my doubts about it working. I did it a little differently than you as I just cloned my 250GB drive with Super duper and then just swapped the drives.

Have you found any resolution to your problem?

Reaction score
Hi everyone! New member here, I own Late 2009 13" Macbook Pro 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM, the stock drive was 160GB and I read before and saw others were able to install the Western Digital Scorpio Blue 1 TB into their MBPs. So I bought one and installed it, it fit perfectly! I set up the drive as new and moved all my files over. As I got settled in, I realized the drive made a vibration and random clicking. I ordered this drive from newegg and asked for a replacement. The replacement drive arrives, i install it and still the SAME issues! I don't know what is going on because I set this drive up EXACTLY as my stock drive and that had no issues. Am I installing and setting it up wrong?? Here are the steps I took to installing and setting up:

1. Insert Mac OS X CD in MBP and turn off laptop.
2. Wait for MBP to cool down then open back of MBP and discharge myself by touching CD tray metal area.
3. Remove the bar where the HD is and take the SATA connector off of faulty 1 TB.
4. remove mounting screws and place on new drive.
5. install back into HD bay and screw everything back in.
6. turn MBP over and turn it on when the chime sounds, I press C until the OS X screen appears.
7. Go into Disc Utility and select partition
8. choose GUID and 1 Partition, name it "Mac HD"
9. after partition is done, exit DU and then install OS X.
10. OS X finishes installing and I update the software.
11. After software update, I install all my apps that worked FINE on my stock drive.
12. vibrate and clickin'

Thanks to all who read this!

How many RPM's is it? Faster RPM's tend to do vibrating and clicking. It could also be a defect in the drive that the manufacturer has either acknowledged as normal or they don't know about it. Have gone to Western Digital's website for this drive to find an answer?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Guys...

The problem with the WD 1 TB drive is that the height of the drive is 12.5 mm and the 13" MBP normally takes a drive that is 9.5 mm. Doesn't sound like much but it is. The larger drive may run hotter and possibly vibrate - just like the OP reported. Some 12.5 mm drives work better than others. However, if it were my machine, I would only use a 9.5 mm drive. I believe the largest capacity 9.5 mm drive is 500 GB or maybe 640 GB?

Regards.

OP
O
Reaction score
ease

Guys...

The problem with the WD 1 TB drive is that the height of the drive is 12.5 mm and the 13" MBP normally takes a drive that is 9.5 mm. Doesn't sound like much but it is. The larger drive may run hotter and possibly vibrate - just like the OP reported. Some 12.5 mm drives work better than others. However, if it were my machine, I would only use a 9.5 mm drive. I believe the largest capacity 9.5 mm drive is 500 GB or maybe 640 GB?

Regards.

could be that. but also could be due to the conflicting of WD's ShockGuard with Apple's Sudden Motion Sensor. But there are those who had the drive installed and have no problems at all, so that leaves me confused. I talked to people who had the exact same MBP model as mine, and installed the exact same HD drive and still they say their drive is SILENT.

OP
O
Reaction score
clomping reflected

Sorry to hear you're having issues. I just did this upgrade to my 2010 macbook pro 13". The process was so easy, I had my doubts about it working. I did it a little differently than you as I just cloned my 250GB drive with Super duper and then just swapped the drives.

Have you found any resolution to your problem?

hmm...I always do a fresh install but maybe cloning will work? I do have an external enclosure but it will not fit the 1TB so I need to get another enclosure if I were to clone the drive. How is your 1TB drive?

Reaction score
The WD 750GB drives are 9.5mm high.

I believe that some MBP's have issues with certain firmware versions of wd drives. Check the newegg reviews, I believe someone made mention of it.

Reaction score
hmm...I always do a fresh install but maybe cloning will work? I do have an external enclosure but it will not fit the 1TB so I need to get another enclosure if I were to clone the drive. How is your 1TB drive?

Cloning worked for me. My external enclosure wouldn't fit my 1TB either, but I was able to connect it while the enclosure was disassembled. I've had my WD 1TB drive in for a few days now without any hick-ups. Smooth and quiet.
:)

OP
O
Reaction score
Cloning worked for me. My external enclosure wouldn't fit my 1TB either, but I was able to connect it while the enclosure was disassembled. I've had my WD 1TB drive in for a few days now without any hick-ups. Smooth and quiet.

oh how i envy you. you didn't happen to use that hdapm software for clicking or anything right? Some said it would help but I don't see much use when others are doing fine without it. Could you describe in more detail your cloning process? I have never done it before and am going to make an attempt when I get the drive sometime later.

Reaction score

Any heat issue with the new drive?

-david

Reaction score
oh how i envy you. you didn't happen to use that hdapm software for clicking or anything right? Some said it would help but I don't see much use when others are doing fine without it. Could you describe in more detail your cloning process? I have never done it before and am going to make an attempt when I get the drive sometime later.

hdapm? Never heard of it. I'm really new to Macs. I just bought my first mac last week. I'm pretty savvy when it comes to PC's, and I'm just starting to learn Macs. Back to your question. Just download and install SuperDuper! It's free and works well. Choose the fist option, I think it's "copy all files". Took me about two hours to clone my drive, and then about 15 minutes for the actual drive swap. One word of caution. (for the 13" 2010 Macbook Pro) Most of the 10 screws that hold the bottom cover on are at a slight angle. Be careful not to cross thread them when re-installing the bottom cover. If you're having noise or vibration issues, I'd say that's probably hardware, not software related.

Any heat issue with the new drive?
-david

None that I can tell.

Here are some pix I took of the install. Sorry about the file size, I haven't figured out how to resize pics on a mac yet. Too bad there's no Irfanview for Mac.

Reaction score
None that I can tell.

Here are some pix I took of the install. Sorry about the file size, I haven't figured out how to resize pics on a mac yet. Too bad there's no Irfanview for Mac.

Thank you for the pictures, I am going to buy that same drive. Yes, Irfranview would be welcomed to the Mac World

OP
O
Reaction score
hdapm? Never heard of it. I'm really new to Macs. I just bought my first mac last week. I'm pretty savvy when it comes to PC's, and I'm just starting to learn Macs. Back to your question. Just download and install SuperDuper! It's free and works well. Choose the fist option, I think it's "copy all files". Took me about two hours to clone my drive, and then about 15 minutes for the actual drive swap. One word of caution. (for the 13" 2010 Macbook Pro) Most of the 10 screws that hold the bottom cover on are at a slight angle. Be careful not to cross thread them when re-installing the bottom cover. If you're having noise or vibration issues, I'd say that's probably hardware, not software related.

None that I can tell.

thanks so much for going into such detail. I'm thinking could it be because my MBP is a late 2009 model? I bought this in March and am REALLY kicking myself now that the 2010 models seem to accept it. I should've waited ONE MONTH! ugh but anyways, cloning sounds like a good idea. My 500GB Hitachi drive came in the mail so I'll just use that instead. But when I get a 1TB sometime later I will come back to this post.

How did you install the drive? I want to check if I did mine correctly.

Reaction score
thanks so much for going into such detail. I'm thinking could it be because my MBP is a late 2009 model? I bought this in March and am REALLY kicking myself now that the 2010 models seem to accept it. I should've waited ONE MONTH! ugh but anyways, cloning sounds like a good idea. My 500GB Hitachi drive came in the mail so I'll just use that instead. But when I get a 1TB sometime later I will come back to this post.

How did you install the drive? I want to check if I did mine correctly.

YouTube is always good for instructional vids. :)
Watch this
Or this

OP
O
Reaction score
YouTube is always good for instructional vids. :)
Watch this
Or this

ok so I installed my 500GB Hitachi and sigh once again vibration and clicking! I don't know whats going on but I am now convinced it probably is due to the fresh install. I am going to erase the new HD, clone the old HD and put the old HD on the new one. Hopefully this works. SO in order to do this, I run superduper on the old drive to clone and when i back it onto the new drive how do i do that? DO i install OS X and then retrieve the backup from super duper?

Reaction score
ok so I installed my 500GB Hitachi and sigh once again vibration and clicking! I don't know whats going on but I am now convinced it probably is due to the fresh install. I am going to erase the new HD, clone the old HD and put the old HD on the new one. Hopefully this works. SO in order to do this, I run superduper on the old drive to clone and when i back it onto the new drive how do i do that? DO i install OS X and then retrieve the backup from super duper?

Sounds like you're over-thinking the process. Have your new drive hooked up through a USB/FireWire port. Make sure it's partitioned and then simply run SuperDuper to clone the old drive to the new one. No need to install OS X as SuperDuper makes the new drive bootable. It's practically a one step process.

Reaction score
As an aside, I just replaced the 320GB with a 1TB Scorpio. It is quiet, cool and a bit quicker. Now, on to load my picture and music libraries.

OP
O
Reaction score
that does it. im just gonna sell my MBP and get the newest model. There's other issues as well that are driving me to sell mine. Probably gonna get the 15" or high end 13"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.