Old Mac and new monitor. Need help.

Reaction score
I have a beige PowerMac G3 Minitower running OS 9.2.1. Recently the old CRT I had it hooked up to started to die, so I bought a new Samsung 245BW 24" widescreen LCD monitor. The OS doesn't offer the correct resolution (1920 x 1200 @ 60 HZ) so the display is stretched horizontally and after a minute or so the monitor goes dark and displays a warning message about the wrong resolution. As best I remember there is no third party video card in there. What can I do to be able to use this monitor with this computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Use the monitor at a lower resolution. It won't look pretty but it should work. Or does 9.2.1 not support any widescreen resolutions?

OP
R
Reaction score
Using any display resolution below 1600 x 1200 causes the monitor to go black and display a warning message. Using the 1600 x 1200 setting keeps the monitor from going black and displaying the warning message, but the image is stretched horizontally. Does Apple, or anybody, have anything that adds additional, widescreen, resolutions for OS 9.2.1? Are there other options?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It has nothing to do with OS 9. A beige G3 can't drive a monitor at any resolution beyond 1600x1200. It's a ten-year-old machine, and its video hardware just isn't powerful enough.
http://support.apple.com/specs/powermac/Power_Macintosh_G3_MiniTower.html

Unless you get a more powerful graphics card, you will not be able to drive a larger monitor on a 9-10 year old computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.